JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Applegate Enviro-marxist group is lobbying BLM to close down Anderson butte and Wagner butte areas above Talent, Phoenix, and Jacksonville to recreational shooting.
This is their site:
Anderson Butte Safety Project
Screenshot of their post:
Imgur

Individuals behind it:
https://i.imgur.com/1BCrwTE.png

Comment Now: Public Comments will be accepted until Feb 1, 2019

Mail: BLM-Ashland Field Office
Attn: Kristi Mastrofini
3040 Biddle Road
Medford, Oregon 97504

Email:
[email protected]
RE: Anderson Butte Safety Project

Has this info been emailed to the Rogue valley Shooting sporting goods retailers and pawn shops? I'm sending it out to my contacts... thanks for letting us know.

I looked at the people on that association, and they are a bunch of folks that are not even from the area. East Coasters and San Fransisco etc. I get what they are saying about the trash left behind, but folks have dumped bubblegum in the woods forever... Anytime I go anywhere on public land, I bring a big box to throw other peoples shells and target stuff in and dispose of it in the trash.

We need to let all of the folks that sell shooting supplies in the valley know about this and Pronto. We're being regulated out of existence.

I am sending this off right now....................................................

I wanted to take a moment to provide feedback to your office regarding the possible firearms shooting closure of BLM Land South and West of Bear Creek and Up to the Anderson Butte area in the Siskiyous.

This is an area shared and enjoyed by folks in the area, and folks from other places as well. With more and more people moving to the area, there have been concerns regarding safety and the possibilities of errant bullets possibly injuring or killing people out recreating on these public lands.

Closure of the area to certain groups is a poor solution to some of the problems that our public lands face for several reasons.

Littering and debris are unsightly, and unfortunately, Public lands have been used as disposal sites for trash for as long as I can remember.
Dumping garbage is against the law on public lands, but it is terribly hard to catch the bad guys doing the dumping and leaving their trash.

I was born and raised in this valley, and have been an avid outdoorsman since I was able to walk.
Shooting, hunting, bird watching, fishing, and learning about the cycles of nature, and about the freedom of being in nature.

Closure of these areas to shooting enthusiasts poses another logistical problem, and that is of enforcement.

Not only are the BLM and Sheriff's departments budgets limited, but driving out into the vast swaths of land in this area is impractical, time consuming, and an ineffective method to get to folks doing the shooting.
These departments have enough on their plates to keep them busy, and the additional burden would make them unable to devote their time to their other activities needed.

In many cases, there is no way that other folks on the lands can tell if someone is shooting a shotgun in a wide open area where the pellets will slow and safely hit the dirt, or some other type of firearm.

They may have no idea that anyone is shooting other than the sounds of the shot. For folks that aren't familiar with shooting, the sound can carry quite some distance and be reflected by the topography and affected by the atmospheric conditions at that particular moment.

I'd suggest that the additional expenditures and energies that would be allocated to closing BLM Lands to certain uses, be put to use with notifications reminding shooters to be certain of their backstops and to clean up after they are finished. And reminders that carelessness has consequences.

I think it is also important that folks in areas frequented by people using firearms be reminded and encouraged to wear clothing that can be seen from a distance for safety.

Closing off public lands to certain uses is not the solution.

Sincerely,

Some brainstorming for BLM communication.
How are they going to enforce it? By running patrols? Why not run patrols now and fine unsafe shooters (already laws on the books about shooting over public roads, toward trails, etc.).
If, as the neo-communists claim, shooters "intimidate" hikers into not using the public lands, how is the hikers using the monopoly on violence of the state to keep shooters from using the public lands different?

Also, as someone who frequents the area for dirt biking, 4wd off-roading, shooting, and... hiking, I can attest that the last group is in the absolute minority. There are probably ten times as many people shooting up there than hiking, 5 times as many people riding dirt bike and ATVs than hiking. And the hikers have already closed down several dirt bike trails.

Boy, they are aggressive in their demands! Permanent closure of a huge area that would assure "shootering is not simply transferred to another portion of the region"!

I noticed they emphasized, many times, their heart wrenching phrases such as; war zone, trauma, fear, automatic weapons, tannerite explosions, public safety, unsafe, rampant and highly irresponsible, noise, stray bullets, threatened, excessive, bullets raining down, risk your life, particularly problematic, bullets can fly unobstructed, extremely dangerous, someone could be killed or injured...

It sounds like they are out for blood and will not stop till they get it. Even though BLM proposed to close it for 2 years, their group is not okay with that and will consider no other options for anything but to close it permanently... all over.

This is a tough one to fight and win. Ultimately, the shooting community will loose. That's because there is no organization within the shooting community (letters of support for shooting will not cause a turn around... there must be noticeable actions to solidify those letters). If there was active involvement by shooters, more shooters would be aware of the problems/concerns and would be working to improve safety and conditions.

If there is no group effort proposed by shooters, the organized complaining community will emerge victorious.

So, we need an organized group of responsible shooters to offer an olive branch filled with blossoms of fruitful benefits for the opposing side while maintaining places for our recreational needs. It would have to be a large effort and have the support of local shooters and vendors. Someone in that area would need to take the helm and organize the activities.

Activities should be a variety of things and always focused on promoting responsible shooting such as, distribution of information to sporting goods and outdoor stores, site visits by volunteers to communicate one-on-one to shooters in the field, contact and communicate to law enforcement and supply them with flier materials for handouts as they encounter shooters (Sheriff and BLM LE), establish relations with BLM staff and coordinate cleanup and awareness campaigns. Visit the sites to evaluate safety concerns and give consideration to if certain ones that should be shut down and ones that should stay open.

It's not an easy task and doesn't happen over night. We gotta put boots on the ground and work diligently on the cause. The opposing side needs to see that shooters care how our recreation can effect others and how we are on the same page for promoting safe and responsible recreation. If they don't see that, they will have no mercy and there will be no negotiation or compromise.

I wish I didn't have a full time job up here in the Portland area. Otherwise, I'd be down there to help establish the Trash No Land efforts. But someone else could and I would help get someone up to speed.

If someone is interested, let me know and we'll work up some ideas. If we were to establish a Trash No Land representative in that area, I would be able to contribute to the conversation with BLM and the local community, which would show a greater sense of a Northwest wide organization that is aggressively working on the promotion of responsible shooting on public lands.

Bill Cogley
Pres Trash No Land

We got stuff going on in that Medford area and have a representative there who can help make it happen! Will be posting soon on what's going down, but for now, know that we are on it, have a representative of Trash No Land in place and are aggressively working on changing the BLM proposal (they propose to shut down shooting for 2 years, yet the local community proposes to shut it down permanently throughout the entire area)! Not acceptable to us!

We are countering that with a proposal to keep the good places open, shut down the unsafe places and start an aggressive campaign of public awareness/education and cleanups to help cause a difference.

More to come soon! Wish us luck!

Bill

Because of the Gov Shutdown, we won't be able to contact BLM officials anytime soon. Therefore, we won't be able to see the comments that have been submitted to their proposed closure of the shooting sites. @Rem700..300 , could you contact your BLM rep, from your area, and ask him if he has a contact phone number for the Medford BLM rep? Send it to me in an email if you get through. I'd like to call her and let her know of the efforts we're starting.

Thanks, Sir!

Bill

Will do. Paul is my normal contact but he has been furloughed last time I checked 8 days ago. Will send him an another email and include George D on it. Once the Gov. gets going again I think I need to start putting a big effort in down here also and get organized. It is starting to look pretty dumpy and as a gun owner it is pretty darn embarrassing on how things are starting to look.
Appreciate the posts from down South. Use to bow hunt a lot of that area above Howard Prarie lake.
Thanks
Craig

Bill,. I haven't gotten any response from BLM. I'LL go down to the Medford office on Monday and see if I can find a point of contact down here
to follow up with with more detail.

Bill,. I haven't gotten any response from BLM. I'LL go down to the Medford office on Monday and see if I can find a point of contact down here
to follow up with with more detail.
Ha! Futile effort! Monday is MLK Day! They would all be closed anyway! Still, with the Gov Shutdown, we'll be hard pressed to contact anyone from the recreational departments!

I don't live anywhere close, nor have I shot there, but I sent in my comments to the BLM. BLM land is for the enjoyment of everyone, not just minority groups, although I would hate to be "threatened by stray bullets." Maybe we should start a spay and neuter program to cut down on the strays.:D

Who is Paul Walker? (sounds like "Where's Waldo?"

If Paul is a player in the Medford area, we need to know about him!
I think I might get it... Paul Walker, of "The fast and the furious". Right? Never saw that. Had to do a google search. Don't have a clue as to who he is or what the movie was about. I just don't watch movies or TV. Sorry!

I forgot it was Martin Luther King day. For crying out loud. Between holidays and furlough, I am going to have to figure out how to get to them during the week. Maybe someone will be manning the phones this next week, or someone at their higher up office will be working this Tuesday. Part of me wants to contact the group requesting the closure and see if they can indicate what areas on the map are the problematic ones. It may be that there are indeed areas that are very dangerous, or it may be that they are just afraid of the noise, and the shooting is being done in accordance with common sense shooting safety. Maybe the BLM already has a list of questionable shooting areas that they can give me, and I can go out and actually look it over and take video clips that could be shared with you folks for your input? This furlough is really throwing a wrench in the works.

.This furlough is really throwing a wrench in the works.
But, like you said in your email, the furlough could be a good thing because it may delay their decision and actions while we have a chance to get our act together. We still need about a week to get brochures down there, finish building our web page, start a social media campaign and start getting the word out.

Fear not! We will be heard!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads