JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BLM, always staking claim to land that doesn't concern the east coasties and screwing the little guys out here in the west.

If it pleases the crown might I use my constitutional right on land owned by the public.

Will send an email now to these pud muffins.

really sucks that a handful is going to take another spot from the many. I've been putting fires out on that hill for many years and the writing has been on the wall for years just on the shooting fire aspect ....let alone the trash and the "dangerous shooting "......I figured they would gate it off years ago. Once about 6 years ago folks were shooting tracers and AP at the gate on top, spent about 60 grand just on retardant that day , figured it was coming after that day but nope ...........Kane Cr. is probably next on the radar .

really sucks that a handful is going to take another spot from the many. I've been putting fires out on that hill for many years and the writing has been on the wall for years just on the shooting fire aspect ....let alone the trash and the "dangerous shooting "......I figured they would gate it off years ago. Once about 6 years ago folks were shooting tracers and AP at the gate on top, spent about 60 grand just on retardant that day , figured it was coming after that day but nope ...........Kane Cr. is probably next on the radar .
It sounds like you know that area well. Can you think of specific places that are good to shoot at and should stay open? And places that should be shut down? (Map coordinates is always best so we can find and evaluate it. Send as a private message.)

I think the only shot we have to keep something open is by recommending to close certain places that are unsafe while leaving others open. We should also have the conversation about making some improvements to the safe places so it reduces the fire potential and increases safety. As that happens, shooters will prefer to use the improved place and not the other unimproved ones.

I think of it like the 4 wheeler trails. Why do they now put in trails for ORV? Because they wanted to stop the rogue wheeling all over that tears up the forest. Community pressure and responsible off roaders were not in favor of the damage it can cause. Something had to be done but closing it was not an options for the responsible ones. The 4x clubs organized to make it happen and they got their trails. Why is it so hard to get an okay to improve places to shoot? It's so obvious we needs several good places in each forest.

Thanks, @oli700 for that fire fighting service work! You are appreciated!

Here is the rundown of the folks that are seeking closure areas. The information gives a brief background on who they are and where they are from.:
https://i.imgur.com/1BCrwTE.png

I do think that we need to physically go to the areas of concern to evaluate the situation.

It may be that some areas are truly unsafe for shooting. Common sense and safe shooting protocols should be employed.

If folks are up anywhere in that area during the dry months doing mag dumps of steel core ammo or tracers, it could catch fire.

We don't need more fires and we absolutely don't want folks in the line of fire. We'll have to do boots on the ground to evaluate things fully.

Those public lands belong to the public. We need to remember that folks from out of the area (other states in the union) are just as much "public" as folks that have spent their entire lives down here.

Last Edited:
Our web page for Southern Oregon is up and running.

Spread this link around to help raise awareness.

Web page cover.jpg

Thanks to @thereddog for stepping up and offering to be a liaison on behalf of the recreational shooting community!

Let's give him support where ever we can!

He'll need some help distributing brochures, fliers, site visits and organizing a couple of cleanups. If you live in that area, and can lend a hand, please contact him or me. This effort can't be done alone. He needs some help!

Thanks again, thereddog!

Letter sent to BLM! But I doubt they will see it until the shutdown is over...

Hello Kristi and staff,

My organization, Trash No Land, is a non-profit incorporated in Washington State and focused on promoting responsible shooting throughout the Northwest. I would like to extend our volunteer assistance to you in hopes of resolving your concerns with recreational target shooting around the Anderson Butte area.

My heart goes out to the nearby neighbors around the Anderson Butte area and I am saddened that recreational shooting has become such a thorn in peoples sides all over the Northwest! It must be turned around and put back into a respectable kind of recreation.

We have a representative, who lives in the Medford area, who will be contacting you soon. He will be our liaison between the shooting community and you.

We have launched a campaign to begin raising awareness of being responsible when shooting on public lands in the Jackson County area. We hope to reach as many target shooters as possible with our message. We will be distributing brochures and fliers to as many gun and outdoor stores as possible and would like to deliver some to you and your Law Enforcement staff.

In addition to the public awareness efforts, we would like to organize some cleanup events at shooting sites. Cleanups help to raise awareness of the problems and encourages others to get on board with the movement.

We plan to visit the shooting sites and evaluate the current situation. Our volunteers would give an honest assessment as to which sites are unsafe, and should be closed down, and what sites are safe and viable to keep open. We will assist you in spreading the word about the good and bad sites to shooters who frequent the area.

Our request to you is that you not close the area for 2 years, but rather, close those that are unsafe and problematic. Keep the others, that are deemed to be safe, open. Closing the entire area always receives negative feedback and animosity from the shooting community. We believe this is a good way to handle the situation and result in a positive difference for all concerned.

Here is a link to our web page about this movement in Jackson County: Southern Oregon Shooting Info

This link is to the website home page of Trash No Land: Trash No Land Home

Thank you for your consideration and efforts to provide quality recreation for all who visit our public lands.

Bill Cogley
President Trash No Land
[email protected]

Two years ago, wife and I coming back to the trailhead on my first 6 day Siskiyou hike - mid afternoon, had to duck and cover down a bank with nuckleheads laying down fire into cans placed on the trail. I never did get to call them out. By the time they quit shooting I had bush whacked down to the river and rock hopped 2-3 miles to flank them. Pickups were dust, and my Prius was not up to catching them.

You reap what you sow! Open public lands are a privilege not a right! I will protect the 2A what ever it takes, but yobbo's sport shooting at campsites and trailheads, can go pound sand. I have zero tolerance!

If you guys want to change my mind then start arresting and charging the guys who do dumb stuff, and get it in the news.
This is exactly what we are hoping to stop

Joken. Not to hijack the tread but if I get the names of who helped on the Peak, would you help coordinate? PM me if you are willing. Not sure if you shoot up there. Thanks

Thanks, but I'm in Corvallis and too busy to be much good to anyone for awhile. Trying to turn over a rental and leave for AZ on the 6th.

Letter sent to BLM! But I doubt they will see it until the shutdown is over...

Hello Kristi and staff,

My organization, Trash No Land, is a non-profit incorporated in Washington State and focused on promoting responsible shooting throughout the Northwest. I would like to extend our volunteer assistance to you in hopes of resolving your concerns with recreational target shooting around the Anderson Butte area.

My heart goes out to the nearby neighbors around the Anderson Butte area and I am saddened that recreational shooting has become such a thorn in peoples sides all over the Northwest! It must be turned around and put back into a respectable kind of recreation.

We have a representative, who lives in the Medford area, who will be contacting you soon. He will be our liaison between the shooting community and you.

We have launched a campaign to begin raising awareness of being responsible when shooting on public lands in the Jackson County area. We hope to reach as many target shooters as possible with our message. We will be distributing brochures and fliers to as many gun and outdoor stores as possible and would like to deliver some to you and your Law Enforcement staff.

In addition to the public awareness efforts, we would like to organize some cleanup events at shooting sites. Cleanups help to raise awareness of the problems and encourages others to get on board with the movement.

We plan to visit the shooting sites and evaluate the current situation. Our volunteers would give an honest assessment as to which sites are unsafe, and should be closed down, and what sites are safe and viable to keep open. We will assist you in spreading the word about the good and bad sites to shooters who frequent the area.

Our request to you is that you not close the area for 2 years, but rather, close those that are unsafe and problematic. Keep the others, that are deemed to be safe, open. Closing the entire area always receives negative feedback and animosity from the shooting community. We believe this is a good way to handle the situation and result in a positive difference for all concerned.

Here is a link to our web page about this movement in Jackson County: Southern Oregon Shooting Info

This link is to the website home page of Trash No Land: Trash No Land Home

Thank you for your consideration and efforts to provide quality recreation for all who visit our public lands.

Bill Cogley
President Trash No Land
[email protected]

That's good stuff bill. I have a sneaking feeling the group pushing for a complete closure to the entire area to target shooting won't be buying any of what you're selling though. Let's hope BLM will listen.

I'll be following this thread.

GOOD LUCK!

Bill--looks like you beat me to the email. Do I need to do any follow up with Paul? Looks like you found your resource name. Let know if I need to do anything .
Still try to contact George. He's probably the only one working for the BLM around here, and he'll be able to let us know who's on and off in Salem and Medford. But I'm sure that Kristi is furloughed.

That's good stuff bill. I have a sneaking feeling the group pushing for a complete closure to the entire area to target shooting won't be buying any of what you're selling though. Let's hope BLM will listen.

I'll be following this thread.

GOOD LUCK!
I have a hunch they will see us as a good outfit. Many libs, Dems and tree huggers do. However, I think you're right that they won't be buying much of our offer!

Still, I'm not going to attack them or what they are proposing. I'm only addressing the BLM's proposal of a 2 year closure. The other side's proposal is just another option for the BLM to consider, just like ours is an option for consideration. If there were no options presented from the shooting community, then who's option would they take?

Once we get the word spread and they see our actions, they should give it some serious thought. We might stand a chance of saving it!

Gotta give a shout out to @stascom for starting this thread and bringing it to our attention! Way to go! It's how we work together to make things better for all of us. Thanks for those links and the detailed info. We hope we can cause a turn around change for the good!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top