JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm curious, there are some good spots to shoot in the Wenas area in Elensburg. But the rules say vehicles are limited to greed dot roads. I know hiking is allowed in the area too.

So what is permited?

Say one is at one of the shooting spots, and wants to put a target on the next hill. And say that hill is over 1000 yards. The only way to do that would be to walk out across to the other hill to put a target at 1000 yards. That would mean walking out across the valley to place the target. Are people allowed to walk out across the managed land. I don't see any specific rules against it. But I also don't see any rules permitting it.

Regarding safety. It's already a safe place to shoot, and bullets already impact on that other hill, so putting a target out there should create any new safety issues. I can see a potential safety issue for hikers if it was legal to hike out into that area. They might unknowingly walk into an area that has target shooters. What is the rule for walking/hiking or venturing off the green dot roads, on foot.

The Photos

I have seen an occasional target placed at 1200 yards. But I'd prefer to know if it's legal to walk out there. People shoot here, and usually place the targets on the flat are before it drops off. But the bullets can hit that far hill. There are no roads below.

You might not be able to see it but there is a white object straight ahead about 50' from the top of that other hill. That distance is 1200 yards. The other photo wa taken a week prior. There is a pink target on the closer hill that is at 590 yards. The only way to get there is to walk, but is walking out to that other hill legal. I know you can't drive there. So foot seems the only way.

1200.jpg 590.jpg

Last Edited:
You need to determine if BLM or WDFL lands.
Generally all such lands are open to hiking and foot traffic UNLESS there is a specific area or area and seasonal closure. Local agency offices will have that info if in question.
Closures can happen with WDFL lands for some wildlife seasonal protection. Check with your local WDFL office. Certain BLM lands can have specific restrictions as well. In some unusual cases foot traffic may be restricted to designated trails only, but that is very uncommon with BLM lands.
WDFL has some specific recreational firearm target shooting regs, do your research, they are available on line, I don't want to repeat em all.
You need to determine if it is safe yourself based on conditions and how you intend to shoot, just because other folks have shot there does not mean it is, it is your responsibility to make that determination. IF in doubt check with the local agency.
Generally leaving anything behind, like a target is not acceptable...pack it in, pack it out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top