JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a phone call today with a fellow from another website that caters to folks in this region that are into the outdoors. He and I are going to meet up on Monday and I am going to give him a bunch of the printed pamphlets and info that Cogs was nice enough to put together about shooting safety, land stewardship and about TrashNoland.

He's going to focus on the places east of Bear Creek and I'm going to hit the places on the West side of the valley.

Ok, I got the guys at Black Bird covered they looked at the info and were happy to help, Got the Bi Mart in Medford Covered, Got Coastal Farm and Ranch's gun counter In White City. Then I got the gun counter gal at Field and Stream in Medford to spread the word and info, Took some out to Welburn's Silencers and guns by White City (they weren't there, so I left em under a Brick at the front door.) Sportsman's gave me a table to set stuff up on by the reloading supplies.

The Army Navy store took a few too.

Nice of those folks to help out, and very kind of Cogs Cogs here at NWF to get all of the printed material out to me.

Due to some stuff going on with my family, I am going to be out of the loop for a spell, but hope to be back in the near future. If anyone else is willing to help down here, please flag down Cogs in the Meantime.

Just got an email from BLM:

The scoping period for the Anderson Butte Safety Project has been extended through February 15, 2019. The details are attached.

Thank you for your interest in this project,
Kristi Mastrofini

--
Kristi Mastrofini
Ashland Field Manager
Medford District Office

541-618-2438

3040 Biddle Road
Medford, OR 97504

There is an attachment in Word for those that have it. Gives us more time to get our point across.

Just got an email from BLM:

The scoping period for the Anderson Butte Safety Project has been extended through February 15, 2019. The details are attached.

Thank you for your interest in this project,
Kristi Mastrofini

--
Kristi Mastrofini
Ashland Field Manager
Medford District Office

541-618-2438

3040 Biddle Road
Medford, OR 97504

There is an attachment in Word for those that have it. Gives us more time to get our point across.
Thanks, Pete! I got that email to day too. I expected they would delay the comment period because of the Gov Shutdown and the time they would need to get caught up once they returned.

Trash No Land now has an effort moving in the Medford area. @thereddog has distributed 300 "Target Shooting on Public Land" brochures to about 8 gun and outdoor stores in that area. Another 300 is on it's way. This initial effort is to start raising awareness of being responsible when shooting on public lands. The brochure promotes the rules, ethics and shows examples of good shooting, cleanup, target placement, fire prevention and sportsmanship.

When they're ready, we'll talk with BLM, do a walk through of shooting sites, pick-n-choose places that should be shut down verses those that should stay open, and recommend safety improvements to the good sites. We are shooting for BLM to postpone their 2 year closure proposal and give our option a chance first.

We are getting some positive feedback from vendors and locals. Ha! I even got a phone call from a person who is with the group proposing to close the whole area PERMANENTLY and she was impressed with our organization and what we are trying to do there. We had a good long chat.

I have a TNL representative there who will communicate with the BLM, distribute some brochures and coordinate community involvement. Chad P. is the name.

So from here we need all the help we can get, along with a few donations to keep the brochures flying off the gun counters, from locals who can talk it up and start causing a change in the crazy shooting in that area. People have to realize they are about to loose the privilege of shooting on public land if they don't do something about it.

Bill

So the 15th has passed. I've heard nothing from the BLM. Has anyone?
Nothing here either. I called a while back, before the 15th, and Kristi, of BLM, said it may take a while to sort through the letters, plan a community meeting and perhaps a site visit. Meanwhile, we have 500 brochures in the area that we are placing in gun and outdoor stores. The BLM saw them and ordered 500 more but I'm only able to send 300 for now (till I get more funds to produce more). That's a good sign that they are wanting to work with us!

I think we should plan a cleanup this spring. Nothing fancy for the first one, just do it on behalf of responsible shooters who care about our recreation opportunities.

Update on the Anderson Butte case... (I mean... situation!)... No determination from BLM as of yet. Last word, about 2 months ago, they were reviewing the comments, but no firm decisions or announcements have been made to date, that I'm aware of.

Meanwhile, I have sent about 1000 brochures to the Medford area, that speak to promoting responsible shooting on public lands (BLM ordered 500 of them!). Recently, I'm in the process of scheduling a cleanup with BLM and co-sponsored with Southern Oregon Off-Roaders. Looks like it will happen on June 15th. Great support so far! We're planning a multi-group cleanup, (4x4, motorcycle and other trail riders/hikers), that will include a big BBQ lunch and free raffle prizes. We're also planning to have a group shoot after the event. Will announce the official details soon!

At the morning safety briefing, I plan to speak about target shooting and the positive/negative effects of our kind of recreation. I'll also address the concerns of nearby residents, other trail groups and how we can work together to achieve "Recreation Harmony" (I know, that's 'Pie-in-the-Sky', but you know that means getting along together for the good of recreation for all who visit our public lands!).

So, if you know of a trail or shooting group that should be involved in this cleanup effort, or a business that would like to support this cleanup with a product donation for volunteers, let me know. The more supporters we have, the greater our impact and outreach!

Thanks,

Bill
Trash No Land

Here's the details of the cleanup event being organized for June 15th... (I'll be announcing the event (officially) by Monday 5-27-19).

Google Maps to Meeting Place: Google Maps
GPS: 42°13'02.4"N 122°54'26.8"W

Organized by: Trash No Land and Southern Oregon Off-Roaders club
Sponsored by: Les Schwab Tire Center, Medford OR; Star Body Works, Medford OR, Sportsman's Warehouse, Medford, (and more to come real soon!)

Details:
Meet at 8 AM at the location noted above. Sign-in to the volunteer list, enjoy a morning coffee, donuts and good conversation with people you'll be glad to meet. 9 AM safety briefing and a discussion about current trail/recreation activities and fire prevention measures.

Join Trash No Land and Southern Oregon Off-Roaders to show your appreciation for quality recreation in the Anderson Butte area! We will be cleaning up as much of this recreation area as possible, including several dispersed shooting locations.

Included: A Free BBQ lunch and Free Raffle prizes for volunteers!

Bring; A potluck salad or side dish to contribute toward the lunch, outdoor clothing, boots, gloves, rakes, magnet & manual pickers and a Stewards heart! We need a few pickup trucks to help haul trash to the dumpster located at the meeting site.

After the event, enjoy an afternoon of recreation as you wish! Some will want to hit the trails and some will enjoy a group target shoot! Bring your toys and fire prevention gear!

All are welcome! We recommend children be of age 12 or older and be under adult supervision as there may be hazardous materials and sharp objects.

Firearm Policy: Handling or use of a firearm during event hours is not allowed at our events and is not an official part of our events. You may recreate as you wish after the event concludes.

Questions? Email Bill Cogley, Trash No Land, President, at [email protected]

Stewardship Keeps It Open!

Last Edited:
Help me find a camping place on Anderson Butte!!!

I'm going down Fri, the 14th, and would like to camp somewhere close to the meeting site of the cleanup on Sat. Anyone know of a place? Not too much in the night time party crowd traffic! I'm even thinking the Johns OHV camp, but think that might be quite the party as it is (I like a good party, but, do need some sleep!).

If you haven't seen the event thread, here it is: Medford OR, ANDERSON BUTTE RECREATION APPRECIATION DAY JUNE 15th
We have lots of support from local stores, BLM, Fire Dept & Sheriff's Dept! Sounds like we'll be doing a great service because not much has been done there recently and it's a popular place to dump and drop unwanted cars & RV's.

We really need the shooting community to attend and make a big showing of our support for responsible shooting on public land. Remember, the BLM is planning on closing the entire area for 2 years to target shooting. If we can show a big response, from firearms owners, they will have to think twice! I know the nearby neighbors and trial hikers will be there and they want it shut down permanently! I hope we're not outnumbered!

This is a quote from the Anderson Butte Safety Project site on this:
I support ANN in limiting and closing the Anderson Butte blm area to target shooting. I prefer NOT to hear gunshots while hiking/ horseback riding in the mountains.

This just burns my AZZ to no end! - so are we as shooters supposed to bend over and grab our ankles and move over for all these liberal, Dems, 'earth muffins' AND the worst - these 'Urban' horse owners who think they now own the National Forest?

I have been shooting and hunting in the National Forest for longer than some of these idiots have been alive and their 'callousness' with regard to this is beyond reproach.

I have been watching this crap 'grow' in Central Oregon for the last 30 year or so and there is no doubt about what these 'types' are thinking and have in mind.....

Last Edited:
Heck I remember only about 10 years ago my daughter and I were fishing on Fall River near where we live and some goofy old bolstard come up to me and asks 'Are you teaching her catch and release' - I said 'Yea I am so, please do catch and release so I can keep LEGAL catch limit'!!

I have been a RESPONSIBLE Outdoorsman all my life but I WILL NOT ever listen to, or agree with some whiner who thinks they:
prefer NOT to hear gunshots while hiking/ horseback riding in the mountains.
Gunshots have been a part of the outdoors since the U.S. started and I will NEVER abide with some rich urbanite who thinks her chit don't stink and is supporting a ban on shooting because she:
prefer NOT to hear gunshots while hiking/ horseback riding in the mountains.
I'd like to meet this Rebecca Johnson so I can slap her so many time she thinks she is surrounded!

Sorry - this is a HUGE 'can of worms' opened for me!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top