JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
let's be realistic here. How many people can afford the credit card bills for that monstrous backpack, if that's an Eberlstock backpack? Also, it looks pretty obvious that it carries a rifle or two..... and my take on this? How easy is it to access the rifle section, and to get the stuff needed? I can see it for a back-up rifle, or a long range weapon in addition to the one that's slung on you.... might be OK for hunters who don't expect to run into trouble on the way to their stands or blinds.

Just my perspective. That said, I've done something similar :rolleyes: Used a VISM/NCSTAR carbine MOLLE case attached to the side of a ruck View attachment 502828

And on a bicycle I used to own a long time ago
View attachment 502829

Now that I have a motor vehicle, the Kia Sportage, I don't need to worry about how weird it is to have an unsecured gun on the bicycle :rolleyes:

Monstrous? Its only 2700ci total. With that pack, I carry my rifle and everything I need on a hunt and haul a boned out deer. It has a semi rigid frame, a good waist belt and the ability to adjust a load.

Less than $350.

Monstrous? Its only 2700ci total. With that pack, I carry my rifle and everything I need on a hunt and haul a boned out deer. It has a semi rigid frame, a good waist belt and the ability to adjust a load.

Less than $350.
still more money than I can justify.... at least, where me, personally am concerned. That's another reason you see me mostly using surplus equipment, or self-made gear :cool:
2700ci....looked bigger than that. I guess it's because of the length of the gun case that it looks bigger than it really is?

the USMC FILBE Main Ruck currently available (pretty affordable without the frame/suspension at the moment), has something like 4,000 cubic inches, and uses a frame thats ALICE compatible, I've seen some people mounting them to old school ALICE frames and having good success...

the Mechanized Crewman Compartmented Equipment Bag, when modified with a hiking frame...is YUUGE..... It's more of a duffel bag really.... I used to have a CFP-90 rucksack, didn't really like it.... never had an USMC ILBE, but did have something similar to it from Kelty I think, a Ridgeway hiking backpack.... it was OK. I grew up with ALICE, so that's pretty much what I use. I do also have the MOLLE II Rucksack, minus the sustainment pouches on the sides...it's a decent ruck, if a little on the heavy side when empty, but it works good.

Coleman Peak-1 frames seem to really do a good job for me.... I was able to mount quite a bunch of things to them, and they are comfortable with the shoulder straps and belts available. A little more flexible than the MOLLE frames, so gotta be careful not to overload them with excessive gear.

Sheltering In Place/Bugging in?

If so, then that's fine. What I am thinking is more along the lines of what are you putting on, when you are making the rounds around the property... Sort of like the EDC thread, but maybe expanded depending on situations...such as guarding against increased numbers of looters and criminals for one, or protecting property and livestock for another....

Ok, I live out of town but carry a Sig p938 mostly and a spare mag . Each night a semi auto rifle, PC9 or AR is out and close by. And a 2022 w night sights on the stand next to me. If I thought someone was in the house the shotgun is within reach with a light. The AR has been out to check things in the the yard. But that's rare.

When camping near a cattle ranch in Prineville I felt fine with my .22 buckmark and an extra mag when hiking or rock hounding. But with these lion attacks may rethink my usual habits.

We have had problems with coons and them fighting with the cats and dogs. I did run outside naked once and shot a raccoon at about 15 yards or so that was under our deck. The way my SO was screaming I thought it would be worse , I put some pants on anymore. One shot and dead, but had to remove deck boards to get it out. With my dad's old faithful Ruger standard.

The setups I show, are usually for camping/practice patrols, or for the purpose of displays. I am also a collector of military uniforms, specifically those used during the recent GWOT conflicts by Airborne Units and units operating under SOCOM umbrella, and some other units....because it is a fascinating history, at least to me. Gear is a part of that history as well..... there are SO MANY variations of setups, that it is quite unlike the 1990s where its basically ALICE or LBVs, and thats usually it, other than the very rare instances of custom gear used by SOCOM units.

But it makes for a fun exercise in finding specific setups that have been over there:rolleyes:

I do have an use for many of the gear though, so that also plays into what I buy once in a while. Usually though, if there is something I need or want to have, but cannot reasonably afford, or does not exist, then I take steps to create them...such as a plate carrier that can accept both ALICE and MOLLE gear.

another potential Bug Out Vehicle

upload_2018-10-7_8-26-33.jpeg

Can afford multiple rifles and pistols and cases of ammo but can't afford a $350 pack?

Pack too obviously carrying a rifle?

Ok. Sportsman's Guide has an inexpensive pack with a rifle compartment.

HQ ISSUE Tactical Assault Pack with Rifle Holder - 697240, Military Style Backpacks & Bags at Sportsman's Guide

I can't speak to the one on sale being the same one I bought, but if it is, it is not a bad value for the price. The one I got was decently thick cordura. I have not tried packing it with weight and hiking around yet, and it is obviously not going to be on par with an Eberlestock or other high quality made pack, but if you keep the weight low (which I intend to do as I can't carry a heavy pack anyway) it should be ok.

If you have a short rifle/etc., like a bullpup or AR pistol/etc., then you don't need to extend the rifle carrier part of this type of pack (Eberlestock or not) out such that it becomes obvious you are carrying a long gun - at least not very much - you can keep the extensions short or even completely hidden, while not having your long gun rumbling around inside the pack, probably wearing it out and/or causing other problems.

As I probably said before, my main concern is for me and mine to get home. For the next 2 years or so, the most likely scenario is that when I am away from home I am 30 miles away at work near downtown Portland. If an earthquake hits, I will probably have to walk home (I am looking into getting a folding electric bicycle to put into my crossover commuter car that might get me most of the way home). Otherwise I will already be home and not looking to bug out. Come fall of 2020, I plan to be retired and spend 90% of my time either home or traveling so far away that getting home is out of the question.

One night I was in the shower getting ready to go to work. My GF came home and came in, sat down, and started talking about this and that... then she stops.

"Who are you?" she says. Sounded a little awestruck, not alarmed.

She had spotted the vest and tac gear hanging on the back of the bathroom door (there's a boy's bathroom and a girl's bathroom... mine is downstairs).

"Oh... uh... that's for camping":rolleyes:

.........."oh...." and then she went on w her story.

It's funny, that our role as protectors of our loved ones is not very well understood by those in which we need to protect.

The Bianchi holster is placed on one of those nifty MOLLE ALICE Adapter panels. It is easily removed and placed on a riggers belt should I need it as a primary.
The Bianchi M84 is a great holster, it will swallow just about anything including a huge-by-large XDM 4.5... my designated bug-out gun. It started life as a .40, but a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel makes it the most versatile and adaptable piece in the inventory right now. Add to that the XDM 3.8 companion piece mounted left-chest (on the vest, BLACKHAWK Serpa w MOLLE adapter) and a buttload of magazines (in both calibers) and I have my "go gear" if it gets terrible.
I'm using an older ALICE belt/harness with a MOLLE "sleeve"... the M84 will work without the MOLLE adapter, but the spring steel attachments will probably tear the MOLLE up if used hard... weight distribution and all that. Which MOLLE adapter did you use for the Bianchi holster and how do you like it so far?

The Bianchi M84 is a great holster, it will swallow just about anything including a huge-by-large XDM 4.5... my designated bug-out gun. It started life as a .40, but a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel makes it the most versatile and adaptable piece in the inventory right now. Add to that the XDM 3.8 companion piece mounted left-chest (on the vest, BLACKHAWK Serpa w MOLLE adapter) and a buttload of magazines (in both calibers) and I have my "go gear" if it gets terrible.
I'm using an older ALICE belt/harness with a MOLLE "sleeve"... the M84 will work without the MOLLE adapter, but the spring steel attachments will probably tear the MOLLE up if used hard... weight distribution and all that. Which MOLLE adapter did you use for the Bianchi holster and how do you like it so far?
The USGI MOLLE ALICE adapter. Takes up 3 columns and 2 MOLLE rows ; approximately 4 inches tall. Very easy to come by, almost every infantryman got a few for free because of the bianchi holster and also for 2qt canteens and few other pouches that arent easily attached to MOLLE. I like it for what it is. But I very much prefer to have a belt that has either ALICE webbing behind MOLLE straps or 3 rows of MOLLE with no gaps, in order to be easier to fit the UM84 clip and MOLLE items if needed. convert_lg.jpg

I humped ALICE LBE for over two decades, in the jungle, in the forest, and in the sandbox.
I still have a complete set, plus steel pot, and E-tool.
I also have kit from the 1700s, 1800s, and 1900s, becuase you never know.

In an ammo pouch (canvas AR 20rd) I have an range finder from the civil war.
No batteries, and accurate enough to dope solutions with it. (DOPE: Data On Previous Engagements)
Primitive Range Finder, patterned from an antique circa 1869, includes instructions - Track of the Wolf

On bugging in, well if you live within 10-15 miles of an interstate, BUG OUT.
Joe Scallion's book Strategic relocation, the hordes of sheeple will be going south from the big cities, locusting the entire way. You will be over run. I know, I live 2 miles off I-5. Our bug out location is an hour east.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top