JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I won't be stocking up in anticipation of screwing my fellow gun owners with panic pricing when the scare inevitably happens. I'm not really passing judgement on anyone else, but I won't do. Probably why my small business failed, I still have a moral compass.

Stepping down from my soapbox for a moment, it will take an awful lot for a sustained panic again. Sadly, we as a public are pretty numb to mass shootings since 20+ first graders were gunned down. If that didn't provoke mass change, it is hard to imagine what would. I expect a smaller, shorter spike in sales that the Obama I and II scares.

Hopefully, we aren't stupid enough to nominate someone bad enough to lose to Hillary...
When the "O" first came into office, I remember seeing guys get to gun shows right when the doors opened and buy up whole pallets of primers, then charge over $50 per 1000. That teed me off right then and there. Over the years since the first Clinton primer scare, I had made it a point to buy primers when and where there was a good price. That served me well. I have not worried about reloading components since that time.
I am sure that even firearms were bought up with the intent to gouge worried buyers, but I think the market is pretty saturated at this point. Kind of like the Y2K generators. I bet there are some guys out there holding a bunch of AR's that they can't get rid of now.

The panic never ended.

Look at the background check numbers.

Look at the new products and how fast they disappear off the shelves.

Look at the sub compact sub $300 pistol market. It's exploding. I want another Taurus PT111G2 but everyone is on back order. Ruger and Smith face the same. They almost can't make enough.

I'm afraid to stock up on ARs and lowers now. What happens if she declares we have to do the Australia thing and turn them in for $200 each or face federal pen time if caught with one. Do you think that has a chance of happening?

Buying frenzies assume in part that existing guns will be grandfathered and not subject to a confiscation scheme. If Australia is any lesson, I would not be so sure. Not saying you should not buy a few extra ARs, AKs, etc. and I will, but I am aware it's somewhat a risky investment.

Part of it is demand. Part of it is manufacturers realizing the value of perceived shortages and doing a better job of controlling inventory numbers. Keltec has been doing that well for years. Their products almost always fetch msrp or higher because they're so hard to get. Look at the ksg and more recently the pmr-30.

I'm afraid to stock up on ARs and lowers now. What happens if she declares we have to do the Australia thing and turn them in for $200 each or face federal pen time if caught with one. Do you think that has a chance of happening?

Though her wanting to attempt such a movement may be within her wheelhouse, I don't think you will see the same result here as in Australia. America is different, grew up on different lessons.

Add to this the fact that despite their best efforts to scare people into getting on board with bad legislation, a wide range of their intended targets have actually come to realize the truth of the situation and we have in fact seen more "new" firearm owners over the last few years.

So while they may attempt and even succeed to foster another Brady bill type legislation, they will never be able to pull off a nation wide confiscation. If per chance they DID, the sheer number of people NOT participating by the end of the "grace period" should scare the living bubblegum out of them. You going to charge, convict and incarcerate THAT many people? How many do you think it will take before A) They realize there isn't enough room in the prisons or B) They can no longer get to work safely anymore for the meeting on trying to figure out how the nations militias and other groups grew so fast and so angry....

^^^Or the blue helmets start marching down our streets to disarm the "domestic terrorists" who refused to comply...

Can easily see that happening with Hiltery...

And then, they will need to worry about cleaning up all the useless blue helmets laying in the streets everywhere that won't hold water.

^^^Or the blue helmets start marching down our streets to disarm the "domestic terrorists" who refused to comply...

Can easily see that happening with Hiltery...

Those pretty blue helmets only blend in with clear blue skies, other than that they sure are easy to spot. I hear that they make good flower pots and come with a free UN issued ammo and guns - never been fired and only dropped once.

The historic leading indicator of panic buying is and always has been shaving cream futures. When shaving cream sales plummet, it means that the neckbeards are growing a full head of neckbeard and will very shortly be buying any and all things "tactical" at a frenetic pace. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

In addition to what @IheartSig said, I would add this - we have the 2nd amendment, something Australia didn't have, and that's not something that's easily removed. It would take a vote of the states - 3/4 of them, to remove the 2nd, and that's simply not going to happen. I doubt you could even get to 50%.

No, my guess is that they've learned a lesson and will follow inline with what we're seeing in places like Oregon and Washington - tax gun owners, add fees, require expensive training - in short, make it so difficult to be a gun owner that many will just give up due to frustration, lack of funds or lack of time. They will find a way to legislate the ownership of guns out a piece at a time. No confiscation. No thugs at the door. Just gentle changes, common sense laws, and the gradual heating of the pot.

Honestly, I'd rather they come at it with a confiscation attempt. That would be blatant, obvious, and it would get people pissed in a hurry. They simply don't have the resources to come after the entire country. And are the anti-gunners going to help? How? They're not the ones with the guns ;) Hillary, if elected, does not represent anything close to a majority of Americans, I seriously doubt she'll have the kind of support she wants to believe she has.

I continue to look at places like CT and NY - to date, since passing their ridiculous gun laws, only about 10-15% of people are actually in compliance - meaning 85-90%, even in those areas of the NE that are not big on guns, are using the middle finger to send their legislators a message - we're here and we're not going anywhere. To date, neither state has gone on raids that I can find. And in LA, where they have a mandatory turn in of all "high-cap" magazines, as of the last check, not a single one, not one, has been turned in.

Buying frenzies assume in part that existing guns will be grandfathered and not subject to a confiscation scheme. If Australia is any lesson, I would not be so sure. Not saying you should not buy a few extra ARs, AKs, etc. and I will, but I am aware it's somewhat a risky investment.

The greater risk, in my mind, is not to own them in the first place. Why be worried about even an Australia like forced buy-back and low prices? Unless you plan to comply, it's a non issue. And they simply do not have the resources to go after the folks that won't comply. Only the wishy-washy folks that don't actually care about their rights will dutifully line up and turn in their weapons - just like the failed gun buy-back programs.

Even in Australia, many people never have complied with the law - and to date, Australia has done nothing about it. Yes, many did comply, and I suspect of those, many wish they never had.

Buy what you want, now, while you still can. Don't worry about what hasn't happened, and what likely never can happen in this country.

The greater risk, in my mind, is not to own them in the first place. Why be worried about even an Australia like forced buy-back and low prices? Unless you plan to comply, it's a non issue. And they simply do not have the resources to go after the folks that won't comply. Only the wishy-washy folks that don't actually care about their rights will dutifully line up and turn in their weapons - just like the failed gun buy-back programs.

Even in Australia, many people never have complied with the law - and to date, Australia has done nothing about it. Yes, many did comply, and I suspect of those, many wish they never had.

Buy what you want, now, while you still can. Don't worry about what hasn't happened, and what likely never can happen in this country.
A friend of mine, and Irishman from the Emerald Idles, told me once that people have no idea how many firearms are in house walls in Ireland as a result of defiance to the Crown. Just sayin'.

The only problem with not complying, is then you become a criminal, a felon. I'm not saying that complying is the right thing to do, don't get me wrong, just pointing out tens of millions will instantly become felons.

As for me, that unfortunately will not happen, since that unfortunate boating accident all I have remaining is an old hand saw and a rusty hammer...

Sigh.......

The only problem with not complying, is then you become a criminal, a felon. I'm not saying that complying is the right thing to do, don't get me wrong, just pointing out tens of millions will instantly become felons.

As for me, that unfortunately will not happen, since that unfortunate boating accident all I have remaining is an old hand saw and a rusty hammer...

Sigh.......

Even Martin Luther King agreed that it is the duty of a citizen to defy an 'unjust' law. I would think any confiscation law, which would be in direct opposition to the 2nd amendment, would in fact be unjust, and would necessitate many people defy it. I think millions upon millions would defy such a law, and while some may be made an example, I suspect most would just go about their lives as if nothing had changed - just like they have in Australia. That, and I'm sure a lot of folks would take up boating ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top