JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Though her wanting to attempt such a movement may be within her wheelhouse, I don't think you will see the same result here as in Australia. America is different, grew up on different lessons.

Add to this the fact that despite their best efforts to scare people into getting on board with bad legislation, a wide range of their intended targets have actually come to realize the truth of the situation and we have in fact seen more "new" firearm owners over the last few years.

So while they may attempt and even succeed to foster another Brady bill type legislation, they will never be able to pull off a nation wide confiscation. If per chance they DID, the sheer number of people NOT participating by the end of the "grace period" should scare the living bubblegum out of them. You going to charge, convict and incarcerate THAT many people? How many do you think it will take before A) They realize there isn't enough room in the prisons or B) They can no longer get to work safely anymore for the meeting on trying to figure out how the nations militias and other groups grew so fast and so angry....

Keep a close watch out for taxation on any firearm you have bought that has a paper trail whether you still own it or not. Just sayin there is more than one way to control the private ownership of firearms. Witness the bummer care act where the SCOTUS says it is OK because it is a tax. Keep your powder dry.

I really, REALLY want to believe the above, but at this point I don't. I apparently didn't get much out of the Civics classes in high school, because I honestly don't understand the "3/4 of the states" comment above. Please, can someone tell me what this means? The way I understand it is that all it is going to take to "overturn" the 2nd amendment is a majority of justices in the Supreme Court that think the same way that the dissenting justices thought in Heller vs Washington DC. This is what scares me about this election. Once that happens, laws that infringe on the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms will be upheld and the 2nd will mean nothing. My mind is open, so please someone correct me, cuz I want to sleep better at night...

Also, where are your "85-90%" non-compliance numbers coming from? I want to believe this too, but question these numbers...

First, the Supreme Court has the job of interpreting the Constitution, not changing the constitution. That requires a vote of the states to happen. First, an amendment must be made and approved by 2/3 of both the House and the Senate. Then, the amendment is sent to the state legislatures, where 3/4 of them must approve the amendment. My comments above related to removal of the 2nd amendment, something some folks would like to do - I am simply pointing out that it's a virtual impossibility. Does that mean that the SCOTUS can't mess with the interpretation of it? Of course they can, but they don't have the power to repeal it - even the POTUS doesn't have that authority (thank goodness). In short, it's virtually impossible to repeal/remove the 2nd amendment. If you want more detail on the process, here is a link: https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution/

Regarding the compliance rate in NY and CT, it's hard to get up to date numbers, but minimal searching will find any number of articles on the subject of compliance.

This one from Forbes notes that, as of 2014, roughly 41,000 "assault" weapons had been registered in Connecticut following their new gun law. Per the article, that means that somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000 weapons were not registered - that's right about 14% compliance. The same article estimates over 1,000,000 New Yorkers are also not in compliance with their own SAFE act. Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmi...kers-are-about-to-break-the-law/#5f4dbea36ac0

This article from the NY Daily News confirms the same low compliance rate in New York - with only 45,000 "assault" weapons registered. Law enforcement estimates over 1,000,000 of such weapons in the state - that puts compliance at under 1%. I was being very conservative with the 85-90% non-compliance rate I noted in my comment. Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...s-registry-numbers-released-article-1.2267730

Another article on this from the NRA-ILA: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150626/ny-data-reveals-futility-of-gun-registration-laws

Even outside of our country, hundreds of thousands of Australians have refused to comply with a mandatory gun buy-back. Source: http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/25/the-australia-gun-control-fallacy/

I think we might start seeing a shift away from "confiscation" and such, as well as laws and ordinances that try and force compliance that the antis have been trying. Instead I see them trying to force bans on ammo and components. If we cant get ammo and components, our guns are just about worthless! Look at Japan to see how this all works! The antis tryed this a few years ago when the fed's made the big run on ammo and that triggered the first big panic. That showed them how fast this type of thing could be brought forward, and we are still seeing the affects of that first "ban"
Having also suffered through the failed (for now) ban on "green Tip" 5.56 ammo showed them what sort of fight they will have! We also have many states that have fallen in line with the ban of led core bullets and that is a first step to forcing a ban on all. I think you see where this is headed!!!!

I tend to agree. A restrictive tax or outright ban on ammo and components would accomplish what they want long term and if they cant take the guns it might be what they try. There are a lot of folks who are so focused on the guns that ammo is not a consideration although I bet there are far fewer of them after the last ammo panic. It always amazes me that folks will have 20 rifles stacked away and not have more than a few hundred rounds set aside for all of them. Ammo is kind of a key part of the whole picture :D

I remember this guy came into the store and asked the kid about the ARs as he didn't have a clue but was going to buy one cause the gubment didn't want him to have one.
This was right after Sandy Hook
I said grab a few mags ,we don't have many left. And grab a ammo box of the 556 over there.
We had a stack of about 3k rounds
Na,not right now
The other guy that worked there said the same...na
The next day or 2 he came back and asked the kid for some mags and ammo
The kid says,what did those guys tell you? It's all gone now
:eek:
So he had a nice looking billy club.:D

First, the Supreme Court has the job of interpreting the Constitution, not changing the constitution. That requires a vote of the states to happen. First, an amendment must be made and approved by 2/3 of both the House and the Senate. Then, the amendment is sent to the state legislatures, where 3/4 of them must approve the amendment. My comments above related to removal of the 2nd amendment, something some folks would like to do - I am simply pointing out that it's a virtual impossibility. Does that mean that the SCOTUS can't mess with the interpretation of it? Of course they can, but they don't have the power to repeal it - even the POTUS doesn't have that authority (thank goodness). In short, it's virtually impossible to repeal/remove the 2nd amendment. If you want more detail on the process, here is a link: https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution/

Regarding the compliance rate in NY and CT, it's hard to get up to date numbers, but minimal searching will find any number of articles on the subject of compliance.

This one from Forbes notes that, as of 2014, roughly 41,000 "assault" weapons had been registered in Connecticut following their new gun law. Per the article, that means that somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000 weapons were not registered - that's right about 14% compliance. The same article estimates over 1,000,000 New Yorkers are also not in compliance with their own SAFE act. Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmi...kers-are-about-to-break-the-law/#5f4dbea36ac0

This article from the NY Daily News confirms the same low compliance rate in New York - with only 45,000 "assault" weapons registered. Law enforcement estimates over 1,000,000 of such weapons in the state - that puts compliance at under 1%. I was being very conservative with the 85-90% non-compliance rate I noted in my comment. Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...s-registry-numbers-released-article-1.2267730

Another article on this from the NRA-ILA: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150626/ny-data-reveals-futility-of-gun-registration-laws

Even outside of our country, hundreds of thousands of Australians have refused to comply with a mandatory gun buy-back. Source: http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/25/the-australia-gun-control-fallacy/
I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have, but I do want to say thanks to etrain16 for the very informative post. That's what makes this Forum so great and is a resource for me to see that the world hasn't gone totally insane. I am actually embarrassed that I didn't know this info and I appreciate the dignified response. I actually DO feel better now as I don't see how it could ever be repealed. And until it is, I for one will not comply with any "law" that contradicts it. Glad to see there are others that feel the same way. I am so glad I live in America.

I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have, but I do want to say thanks to etrain16 for the very informative post. That's what makes this Forum so great and is a resource for me to see that the world hasn't gone totally insane. I am actually embarrassed that I didn't know this info and I appreciate the dignified response. I actually DO feel better now as I don't see how it could ever be repealed. And until it is, I for one will not comply with any "law" that contradicts it. Glad to see there are others that feel the same way. I am so glad I live in America.

No worries. Part of what we like to do here is inform folks on what is going on with respect to our gun rights. Many people simply don't know, and part of that is that the information that is useful isn't exactly out in the mainstream media - you kind of have to search for it. This is a good forum for staying on top of what's going on, in particular in the PNW, but also on a national level.

I'm thankful we have the 2nd too, and that it's not likely to ever be removed. But that doesn't stop the anti's from going after us in a thousand other ways. So, we always have to remain vigilant and keep both eyes on them ;)

Aha!
No worries. Part of what we like to do here is inform folks on what is going on with respect to our gun rights. Many people simply don't know, and part of that is that the information that is useful isn't exactly out in the mainstream media - you kind of have to search for it. This is a good forum for staying on top of what's going on, in particular in the PNW, but also on a national level.

I'm thankful we have the 2nd too, and that it's not likely to ever be removed. But that doesn't stop the anti's from going after us in a thousand other ways. So, we always have to remain vigilant and keep both eyes on them ;)
a death from a thousand cuts!

To make some of my FAs "compliant" in Kali could/will run about $100.00 a gat. So yes, they have discovered the death of 1,000 cuts. It looks like you can "own" 10 round plus mags, you just can't use them!

I mean, my personal panic has started if I move, what to store, what to take....if I store, who to trust...
Then if I go M1A Scout...walnut or "new age" stock.
The things we do for love.

We might have a shot of booting Inslee out, wouldn't that be grand.
Though it will be interesting to see the numbers of voters in the R caucus in May vs how many Bernie Believers voted this weekend.

Brutus Out

Again, I don't want to get dragged into the sewer that is politics, but do any of you think it will be any better if Bernie was nominated? You see it happening if Billary is nominated, but I suggest to you it should be likely with her, Sanders, or Trump. In fact the only way I would relax is if Cruz managed to pull it out and the right kept control of at least one house of congress. Add to that the Supreme Court...

I guess my point is that you should be preparing now. You likely won't be able to relax for the foreseeable future. If you need a weapon to defend you and yours or ammo for it, you should be getting it now. In fact you should have been getting it for a while.

In the meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy building my bolt guns and collecting my sporters. I do, however need to pick up several thousand large rifle primers and some .30 cal projectiles. Brass I have, powder I have. Can never have enough properly stored primers or powder...

I agree, I am set at the moment (for minimum 6 months of food, firewood & whatever protection devices) but just got into reloading and stocking up on components for the time when about all one has to do is eat, stand guard, sleep & reload (rinse and repeat)....;)

Last Edited:
Still see .22 ammo is hard to come by. Not that I really need any more, but i would be nice to have a small stock pile for teaching young shooters and newbies. And the price of what I do see is way out there from the pre shortage scare!

You mean it hasn't started already, LOL?

Two friends of mine just recently bought their first rifles (both AR-15s). They asked me what their first purchase should be besides a bag/carrying case, and I answered, "Magazines and ammo."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top