JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On Gunbroker many vendors charge 3% extra for using a credit card. Which is to offset the service charge the seller pays the CC carrier. Some buyers may want to save that 3% by using a cash-like payment instrument. My advice, don't do it.

Using CC for payment gives you leverage for recourse if a transaction goes bad. A check or money order doesn't convey this protection. I know there are other payment methods available through GB, I haven't used them. Some of those may offer some protection, I don't know. What I do know is by sending a check or money order, you have a lot less control.

Recently, I had a GB transaction go minorly bad. I was patient and tried to work it out with the seller. I bought a firearm that was described as including accessories. When it arrived, it was short the accessories. I had issues with this seller from the start. Zero communication, slow shipping, no tracking number provided. When the item arrived short, I sent two emails, waiting patiently for replies that never came. I had called previously and left a message. After the emails, I called again and to my surprise, the seller answered. He denied getting the emails and promised to send the short items next day by Priority Mail, which never arrived. After 40 days, finally I turned the matter over to my CC company and lodged a partial dispute for the amount I calculated the short items were worth, plus tax, plus shipping.

There is one point that I was negligent about. That is, checking the seller's GB feedback. I always do it on ebay, I don't know why I didn't in this case on GB. If I had, I would've seen a pattern of buyer complaints about no communication, no tracking numbers, and short shipments. I didn't see the word "liar" in there but it should be.

Look upon the added 3% fee as payment for insurance.

Typically, you have 60 days to file a CC dispute. Don't let the seller time you out with lies and balderdash. Also know that you have 80-something days to leave feedback on GB.

One last thought. This is becoming customary in the gun retail trade, in person or online. Most other businesses just consider it a cost of doing business. When I use the CC at Fred Meyer, they don't add on 3%. I think it has to do with the nature of the merchandise. Gun people want what they want, and when they find it, they won't let 3% stand in their way, and gun dealers know it.

I haven't investigated, but I read that you can get a one time use credit card number with a limit set at what your purchase cost is.

Even safer.

Bruce

I understand the safety part, but it's not always about the fees. I bought some brass on gunbroker a while back and the seller would only take a money order. He said it wasn't about the fees but about taxes, as all paypal or credit card transactions are reported now as income, and a hobbyist selling off some extras will have to pay taxes as income on every nickel, unless you keep meticulous records and receipts on what you buy if you end up selling it.

I ended up buying it, because I could see the seller had been on there for a long time with lots of perfect feedback. It is a risk though.

I understand the safety part, but it's not always about the fees. I bought some brass on gunbroker a while back and the seller would only take a money order. He said it wasn't about the fees but about taxes, as all paypal or credit card transactions are reported now as income, and a hobbyist selling off some extras will have to pay taxes as income on every nickel, unless you keep meticulous records and receipts on what you buy if you end up selling it.
Hot flash, ALL payments through third party sales platforms are reportable to the IRS via Form 1099K. Starting for real this year. As of 1-1-2023, no payments of any kind are shielded from the IRS on these sites. It was supposed to kick in last year, but the IRS postponed it until this tax year. I don't expect another postponement.

In any case, there are ways on your tax forms to turn this around so long as you are selling personal property and not doing it as a business.

I ended up buying it, because I could see the seller had been on there for a long time with lots of perfect feedback. It is a risk though.
Yes, feedback history can be a good indication of the seller's performance.

I admit that when I was selling on GB, I would only take USPS money orders. I wasn't set up to do CC. But I think now individual sellers can sign up and do CC through GB. No doubt for a fee. In my listings, I included a comment that I was a private seller, didn't take CC, and I invited them to view my feedback history as an indicator of my track record.

One thing that I've observed, private sellers on GB who won't take CC very often get lower bids compared to similar items being sold by sellers who take CC. For the very reason that I've outlined above. Fewer people bidding, lower bids received.

Payment also speeds up the transaction, if the seller is honest and diligent, they will ship right away. Rather than having to wait for payment to arrive in the mail.

Honestly, one other factor for me is amount. If the amount is relatively modest, it doesn't trouble me as much as hundreds of dollars.

Well, yes I agree. However I did just buy a rifle on GB and sent the FFL seller a USPS MO. I had the rifle within a week. He had 500 plus pos. reviews.

I never thought about using a money order, mostly because I'm impatient and want my item sooner. Could easily add a week to transaction time using snail mail. I guess the 3% extra fee doesn't bother me a whole lot when using a CC, especially when I'm getting 1.5%+back in rewards. That's what, $15 extra on a $1k gun I don't want to wait for? Sounds good to me.

I have been a HUGE fan of online buying for decades. I also have been ONLY using plastic to pay. I have for decades seen people promote paying with Postal M/O because it works great for them. Yes often it does work fine most of the time. Anyone who wants to do this has to know they are taking a risk. Is the 3% work it for me? Yes. Some think saving that 3% is worth the risk and that's great. They can take the risk.

Hot flash, ALL payments through third party sales platforms are reportable to the IRS via Form 1099K. Starting for real this year. As of 1-1-2023, no payments of any kind are shielded from the IRS on these sites. It was supposed to kick in last year, but the IRS postponed it until this tax year. I don't expect another postponement.
Joke will be on the Fed when people realize how easy it is to establish their own company/legal entity and start using it to reduce their taxable W-2 income. The IRS is king of "unforeseen consequences".

As to the OP - my butt is firmly planted on side Credit Card. It'd be real cool if there weren't crappy people in the world trying to scam others - but there are and because of that, CC protections are worth the price of admission.

In any case, there are ways on your tax forms to turn this around so long as you are selling personal property and not doing it as a business.
FWIW you will only have to pay taxes on your profits for amounts sold in excess of (I believe) $400.

However it is another big slap in the face to the middle class. The wealthy don't sell things on eBay and the poor don't pay taxes.

FWIW you will only have to pay taxes on your profits for amounts sold in excess of (I believe) $400.
Yeah, that whole thing is a can of worms. How they propose to adequately and accurately police and oversee the process is beyond me. Even with their recent influx of extra money to operate the agency. BUT: It will still be a headache for taxpayers. The limit is $600. As a practical matter, the IRS will have more success reigning in the bigger online sellers who were flying under the radar. The guys who buy 40 foot containers of identical plastic widgets from China, not the mom and pop sellers.

You mean a direct access to your bank account card? I don't use em either
I use debit for payments I trust and CC for those I don't or large $ purchases to get % back. I get interest on debit account if I make 12 POS purchase. This is mostly stuff like groceries (Winco on takes debit), Costco, bimonthly phys therapy, Starlink, etc. - I don't trust T-Mobile, they have had too many data breaches, and any non-recurring purchases like ammo/etc. get put on the CC.

My credit union is pretty good about fraud or duplicate charges.

Yeah, that whole thing is a can of worms. How they propose to adequately and accurately police and oversee the process is beyond me. Even with their recent influx of extra money to operate the agency. BUT: It will still be a headache for taxpayers. The limit is $600. As a practical matter, the IRS will have more success reigning in the bigger online sellers who were flying under the radar. The guys who buy 40 foot containers of identical plastic widgets from China, not the mom and pop sellers.
For me it is more about the gov tracking in general than it is about the IRS. I did my taxes the other night and because about 90% of my income is not taxable, I only paid less than 1% in fed taxes and $0 state taxes for 2022. So the occasional Zelle payment isn't going to really have any impact in that regard. But it does add to the profile they build on people in general.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top