JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had lasik done about 22-23yrs ago, and wound up with 20/15 vision (better than "normal") from 20/400 (correctable). It was one of the single best things I ever invested in.

Back then it was $3k PER EYE (I wrote it off on my taxes as a medical expense). I'm pretty sure you can have it done for half of that nowadays, since it has become more "mainstream" and prices have dramatically fallen.

Now that I'm in my mid 50's my vision is 20/20, but I have to deal with dreaded READING GLASSES for up close work…. My employer supplies UVEX safety glasses with various powered cheaters (I use the 2.0+ cheaters) built-in. I don't mind safety glasses while working, but I can't stand wearing "everyday" glasses, so I'll be exploring RLE options and see if that'll be a permanent fix for the remainder of my days.

Last Edited:
I have an astigmatism, which messes up my distance fine lines. I can see distance, I just can't read from a distance. For this reason, I went with an ACOG for my rifle over a red dot in the event I don't have my glasses.

I had my Lasik this year around March, total cost was a hair under $4,000 for both eyes.

Same result (20/15). Best investment ever.
I had lasik done about 22-23yrs ago, and wound up with 20/15 vision (better than "normal") from 20/400 (correctable). It was one of the single best things I ever invested in.

Back then it was $3k PER EYE (I wrote of off my taxes as a medical expense). I'm pretty sure you can have it done for for half of that nowadays, since it has become more "mainstream" and prices have dramatically fallen.

Now that I'm in my mid 50's my vision is 20/20, but I have to deal with dreaded READING GLASSES for up close work…. My employer supplies UVEX safety glasses with various powered cheaters (I use the 2.0+ cheaters) built-in. I don't mind safety glasses while working, but I can't stand wearing "everyday" glasses, so I'll be exploring RLE options and see if that'll be a permanent fix for the remainder of my days.

my dudes!!! wow, i think i might be sold.
i friggin' HATE dealing with the hardware and every couple years. I've spent nearly $700-1000 just on two set of glasses before. one pair was even half off. I'm getting ripped off!!
I'm worried about the requirements of the jim jones jab these days though, but i will DEFINITELY look into it.
knowing me myself though ill probably either swear off smart phones altogether or ruin my eyes again one them friggin' vampires. near sighted if you can't tell.

last question i guess i have is: who'd you use for lasik can anyone recommend someone to start looking into?
TIA - glad both of your surgeries went that well!

I'm nearsighted & do a lot of close detail work. In fact when I take my glasses off I can see closely very well, almost seems like with some magnification--no way would I let someone at my eyes

I got my last glasses at Americas Best cost about $80 for two pairs

I'm nearsighted & do a lot of close detail work. In fact when I take my glasses off I can see closely very well, almost seems like with some magnification--no way would I let someone at my eyes

I got my last glasses at Americas Best cost about $80 for two pairs

My last job was medical instruments (generals) and could usually spot things with my naked eye my boss couldnt see. It started to become an issue when his "quoted" jobs to the customers constantly needed to be revised and the calls made back and forth all the time.
Im the same way, I can see VERY WELL anything at arms lengths. But idk. At this point. I think I'd rather choose being far sighted than near.

I was 20/400+ nearsighted for 60+years. I wore glasses and corrected to 20/15 until I got older and it went to 20/25. I had a cataract, so they did lens implants in both eyes and now I'm 20/25 without glasses. I used to take off my glasses for up-close work, but now "my arms are too short." I use 3.0 reading glasses for near work, and keep illuminated magnifiers (like they use assembling electronics) at my workbenches.

I wear glasses but when I get a new pair I put the old pair in my get home/bug out bag. I also have pair in normal backpack as well in case my glasses are broken for some reason. I have gradient lens and my vision has not changed that much so I can use old glasses just fine.

Dr. Stanley Crews in Vancouver, WA. Keep in mind that I have no idea what he's charging these days, but he was one of the vanguard implementing the lasik procedure, so shop around.

https://goo.gl/maps/YKGz2YsE4xtcrKn6A Crews LASIK & Cataract Center
(800) 757-3525
I also went to Dr. Crews in the early 2000s, (20/15) results.

I admit that it has tapered off a bit (20/20) now 😅 and night-time driving may change; oncoming headlights appear brighter/flood peripheral acuity. I am still very happy with the results. Beats the heck out of my previous contact lenses/glasses for distance.

I got Lasik 10 years ago. Went from being functionally blind without my glasses to 20/20 with both eyes. It IS expensive, but so damn worth it for someone like me. But, until you can afford it...get 10 cheap pairs of glasses and store them in many locations.

Had lasik done back in 04, best thing ever! I have always had exceptional night vision and dept perception, but my long range acuity improved dramatically! Only down side is having to wear readers now the last 4 or so years, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Cost was easy to write off compared to having contact lenses and exams every year or so, plus having back up glasses and RX Shooting or sun glasses! Now, I wear my WileyX shooters when ever I need them and we're golden! In fact, I love my WileyX glasses so much, I spent the big bucks and got their top of the range Sun/Ballistic glasses and have never been happier, that's what I fly with, shoot with, and just about everything else with!

Just remember with any medical procedure there is risk. A man I know ended up with an infection (I believe) in 1 eye from Lasik. He's better now and recovered, however it could have gone south

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top