JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Could you construct a 'Faraday shed' around your generator?
You could build a faraday cage for a generator, enclosed in a shed possibly. But anything that uses a chip wouldn't work. Again well pump should work but septic which runs on a chipped air pump wouldn't. My best bet would be relying on my Katadyn and lifestraw water filters in my creek and embracing the great outdoors for the rest.

Or buying a 1992 or earlier truck and driving to a big city. Portland is only 40 miles or so away. Mostly downhill too. I'm pretty sure the feds will be operating camps to help us all that type of situation.

You could build a faraday cage for a generator, enclosed in a shed possibly. But anything that uses a chip wouldn't work. Again well pump should work but septic which runs on a chipped air pump wouldn't. My best bet would be relying on my Katadyn and lifestraw water filters in my creek and embracing the great outdoors for the rest.

Or buying a 1992 or earlier truck and driving to a big city. Portland is only 40 miles or so away. Mostly downhill too. I'm pretty sure the feds will be operating camps to help us all that type of situation.
I thought that fortland already was operating camps.

Well..it certainly won't be "back to the stone age" but more likely rediscovering steam power, wind driven water pumps, manual pumps, water wheel mills and things like that. Basically a return to the Industrial Revolution era?
watt-engine.jpg 549470_spotlight_58982_xz6nf2LRE.jpg AermotorWindmillHowWindmillWorks_1024x1024.jpg images.jpeg Archimedes-screw.jpg stock-photo-water-wheel-at-saunooke-mill-a-working-stone-ground-mill-beside-the-oconaluftee-ri...jpg default.jpg

Could you construct a 'Faraday shed' around your generator?
I know that you can use emp shield as a tie in to your generator and or solar generator. I could understand shelling out for a product like that for my home, but not if the substation that feeds the home is taken down... What would be the point?

The gal at inergytek contacted me about their solar gensets and said
they are not EMP protected, but they can be paired with EMP Shield AC & DC Power Protection Modules to provide the systems with EMP protection.

So you'd have to shell out for a a product like emp shield in addition to the genset.

I know that you can use emp shield as a tie in to your generator and or solar generator. I could understand shelling out for a product like that for my home, but not if the substation that feeds the home is taken down... What would be the point?
The point was that if you have a propane generator with a significant supply on site, you'd be able to run your house like normal for quite some time.

unfortunately that is not the case, you could run things that do not have computer chips in them... That would really limit what you could run.

I keep beer cold and ice cream frozen for a living. In the event of a emp. There is not one supermarket that would be operational without complete rebuild of all electrica. From the little case fans to the compressors. It wouldn't matter if power was restored. It would take a crew a month to get it running if main parts were available. And they won't be.

The reliance on supermarkets for daily food supply is nuts. Setting yourself up to fail.
They will be out of all foods in 90m. With a few dead I'm sure.

The solar stuff. Yes it needs to be in a faraday cage.
I put mine in plastic totes and wrap with faraday fabric then into a card board box. Then into a metal garbage can with lid and a ground rod tether.
All my radios and two old computers and a few thumb drives are protected this way. Two layers is better than zero.

Yeah, shake things up a bit. Perhaps that would be helpful...
No thanks.

The reliance on supermarkets for daily food supply is nuts. Setting yourself up to fail.
They will be out of all foods in 90m.
This result also applies to deliveries. "What if..." Diesel fuel became unavailable for the enormous system of grocery resupply. But it's a reality, that's how US food distribution is set up. For those who still make a living via agriculture, how many raise self-subsistence food supplies? I'm thinking not that many. Yes, they would still have the land, but there is a time run-up before edible crops become available. A society of mass starving people wouldn't be a pretty picture.

I've got my own pathetic emergency food supplies. And they might last for a while. But not as long as a major interruption.

I might linger a while longer than some people who can't keep their hands off their cell phone for five minutes straight.

The term "solar genset" always makes me giggle. Simply a made up marketing term in recent years. What's even funnier is they took a basic concept, over engineered it, increased the overhead draw (diminishing the amount of useable power generation) and made the whole thing more prone to failure, susceptible to things like EMP's and reliant on advanced technologies... that are not at all likely to survive any prolonged catastrophic event.

For the handicapped and diminishing returns though they sure do make a bundle off them. :D

A Faraday cage must be designed for the intensity and frequency of the electrmagnetic field. I
n college, I helped build a Faraday cage to neutralize the Earth's magnetic field. You would laugh at how simple it was.
An EMP with the energy like the 19th century Carrington Event, which fried telegraph stations in Europe and the US, was multiple orders of magnitude stronger. How many, I don't know.
My point being, if you want to protect your stuff from an EMP that's designed to fry your stuff, you're going to have to use stainless steel and lead as materials, and it's likely going to need to be THICK.
Also, if you want to protect your devices, they cannot have *any* electrical exposure outside of the Faraday cage - those wires are like lightening rods.

In an effort not to completely poopoo your prepper plans, but if even a significant portion of the US loses electricity, the reality is the local economy will not operate. There will be no fuel, likely no banking, no food, no water, and likely no TP.

Expand this further depending on the loss of power across the nation.

A Faraday cage must be designed for the intensity and frequency of the electrmagnetic field. I
n college, I helped build a Faraday cage to neutralize the Earth's magnetic field. You would laugh at how simple it was.
An EMP with the energy like the 19th century Carrington Event, which fried telegraph stations in Europe and the US, was multiple orders of magnitude stronger. How many, I don't know.
My point being, if you want to protect your stuff from an EMP that's designed to fry your stuff, you're going to have to use stainless steel and lead as materials, and it's likely going to need to be THICK.
Also, if you want to protect your devices, they cannot have *any* electrical exposure outside of the Faraday cage - those wires are like lightening rods.
So lets say someone built a faraday can. In this example, I'll say a 50 cal ammo can that is insulated inside with cardboard with a lid that has been sealed with foil tape. This would then be placed inside a cardboard insulated galvanized garbage can and the lid also sealed.

Would they need to ground the exterior of the garbage can with a copper wire tied to a ground rod as well, or leave it un grounded?

So lets say we receive an HEMP. from an adversary and most of the united states is in darkness.
No phones, hardly any running vehicles, no airplanes, and after fuel stocks had been used up, no generators at pumping stations to get more fuel.

Hospitals pretty much kaput, no schools, and only wood for heat and water that you'd have to filter and boil to use (after you hauled it to where you needed it.) No flushing the toilet either for most folks.

Even if you did have an anti emp device installed at your home or vehicle, what is the likelihood that the power providers infrastructure would still be putting out any juice? Wouldn't they also be impacted by the HEMP, or are they hardened enough to remain viable?

Does anybody really know? Is there anyone on here with an electrical or power plant type of background to clarify if substations and generating stations would still be putting out any voltage?

Does anyone know if those stand alone solar battery generators are hardened against an EMP? or would they be hosed as well?

Please advise.
Sounds like a vacation.

So lets say someone built a faraday can. In this example, I'll say a 50 cal ammo can that is insulated inside with cardboard with a lid that has been sealed with foil tape. This would then be placed inside a cardboard insulated galvanized garbage can and the lid also sealed.

Would they need to ground the exterior of the garbage can with a copper wire tied to a ground rod as well, or leave it un grounded?
An EMP induces current in existing wires. To be safe, you'd want at least two bonding points to earth.

In MV power systems, the underground distribution cables will often have tape shields. If you only bond one side, the current in the cable will induce voltage at the far side. To reduce the induced voltage, either multi-point bonding or two point bonding is required.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top