JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I already play with and use 19th century tech on a semi regular basis...:D
1697502384850.png

Soooo.....
There I was at my old school.....
We had a student that could not speak very many words but...
Loved to tap on tables , doors and the like.

I taught him Morse Code...he used it well.
Great......
However....
The school got him some sort of "talk box" with pre programed phrases , words and such....
So they didn't want to go with Morse....Too old fashioned I was told...and no one uses it any more.
What is sad is that the kid never really used the "talk box" for its intended use...he just randomly pushed the buttons.
An old 19th century method that actually worked...dumped in favor of new high tech....sigh.
Andy

My woodstove will still work, so I can stay warm while I die of dehydration or starvation.
Will you cut and split wood by hand after the current supply you have runs out? Is it on your property? Just wondering. We have a couple of gang saws that may be put back into use if the need arises. Unfortunately, we have no trees on our property large enough to utilize for heat. But we can see them about a half mile away. Not sure how we would drag them over to the house, but hopefully, the neighbors would work together to figure something out.

Recently listened to an "expert" talking about this scenario and he said the estimate is that if we have a nationwide EMP, that it would take a year at absolute best to get a functioning electrical grid started and In that time 90% of the US population would die, most of which would be in the immediate aftermath.

Recently listened to an "expert" talking about this scenario and he said the estimate is that if we have a nationwide EMP, that it would take a year at absolute best to get a functioning electrical grid started and In that time 90% of the US population would die, most of which would be in the immediate aftermath.
I'm in the utility industry. It would take longer than that.

If you remember Ted Koppel from Nightline years ago (I think that was the show), on ABC, he is not a stupid man. Very sober and rational. He wrote an excellent book (non-fiction) called Lights Out. I highly recommend it to anyone interested. He conducted a lot of research on the subject and also has a lot of interviews with those who are preparing for such an event, including what the military is (or is not) doing.

If you remember Ted Koppel from Nightline years ago (I think that was the show), on ABC, he is not a stupid man. Very sober and rational. He wrote an excellent book (non-fiction) called Lights Out. I highly recommend it to anyone interested. He conducted a lot of research on the subject and also has a lot of interviews with those who are preparing for such an event, including what the military is (or is not) doing.
I just started the book One Second After. I'll have to add this one to the list!

Power co people have indicated that an HEMP. would ruin their transformers. Lead time on them is 16-36 months. Guess who makes them for us?
Guess who makes them? Well generally they are made domestically. All of the larger 115, 230 and 500kV transformers like ABB, Delta Star, Siemens and several others are made in the USA. At least here in the NW and more specifically on PGE/BPA property these brands are generally used. Shipping a 200k+ pound piece of steel is more expensive then overseas procurement and the QC end/warranty is also incredibly important to the utility as they have very limited resources to actually fix a transformer if something goes bad. The larger transformers (230kV) are in the 400-500k pound range and 500kV even more. As for lead time 12-36 months is about right and getting worse by the day.

As a comparative note, two of those 230kV transformers are about equal to the heaviest gross weight a 747 can get airborne at. Shipping a transformer by rail requires special cars with so many axles to spread the load that each car is practically an entire train unto itself.

Will you cut and split wood by hand after the current supply you have runs out? Is it on your property? Just wondering. We have a couple of gang saws that may be put back into use if the need arises. Unfortunately, we have no trees on our property large enough to utilize for heat. But we can see them about a half mile away. Not sure how we would drag them over to the house, but hopefully, the neighbors would work together to figure something out.
If an EMP happens while I am at the cabin, I would have endless amounts of firewood. Water would be a problem if it happened in the drier half of the year.

Ain't gonna worry 'bout it none....
Since I already play with and use 19th century tech on a semi regular basis...:D
Andy
Dew ya wanna live forever? :s0112: Crossbow ana bowie knife!
However I suspect we'll all die of radiation poisoning anyway, and soon (if the blasts don't take us out)...
I knew a guy who made his own blk powder, but he had to order the ingredients from a chemical sales place... lead from old car batteries...

So lets say we receive an HEMP. from an adversary and most of the united states is in darkness.
No phones, hardly any running vehicles, no airplanes, and after fuel stocks had been used up, no generators at pumping stations to get more fuel.

Hospitals pretty much kaput, no schools, and only wood for heat and water that you'd have to filter and boil to use (after you hauled it to where you needed it.) No flushing the toilet either for most folks.

Even if you did have an anti emp device installed at your home or vehicle, what is the likelihood that the power providers infrastructure would still be putting out any juice? Wouldn't they also be impacted by the HEMP, or are they hardened enough to remain viable?

Does anybody really know? Is there anyone on here with an electrical or power plant type of background to clarify if substations and generating stations would still be putting out any voltage?

Does anyone know if those stand alone solar battery generators are hardened against an EMP? or would they be hosed as well?

Please advise.
Even todays flashlights would not work since they have electronic switches unlike the older flashlights. But then again the batteries would not work either.
The older, older cars might be operational. Microwaves are one big faraday box, so if we knew an EMP was coming we could place batteries, radios, flashlights and anything that would be useful.

Last Edited:
Could you construct a 'Faraday shed' around your generator?
Ground it
Hammer a copper rod into the ground and connect your generator to it with a very heavy gauge wire. Your manual should have the info as to where you attach the ground wire to it.

eta There are"Faraday bags" that are supposed to offer protection for small electronics. I keep some GMRS radios and an AM/FM/SW compact radio plus extra batteries in one. Hope I don't need to find out if they work or not.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top