JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So lets say we receive an HEMP. from an adversary and most of the united states is in darkness.
No phones, hardly any running vehicles, no airplanes, and after fuel stocks had been used up, no generators at pumping stations to get more fuel.

Hospitals pretty much kaput, no schools, and only wood for heat and water that you'd have to filter and boil to use (after you hauled it to where you needed it.) No flushing the toilet either for most folks.

Even if you did have an anti emp device installed at your home or vehicle, what is the likelihood that the power providers infrastructure would still be putting out any juice? Wouldn't they also be impacted by the HEMP, or are they hardened enough to remain viable?

Does anybody really know? Is there anyone on here with an electrical or power plant type of background to clarify if substations and generating stations would still be putting out any voltage?

Does anyone know if those stand alone solar battery generators are hardened against an EMP? or would they be hosed as well?

Please advise.

It'd be a hard reset for society and probably exactly what we really need. You know, that whole strong men, weak men good times, bad times BS...

They are not. They're maybe some somewhere that operate in a faraday cage, but most consumer and commercial don't. I have a nice Generac 22kw stand alone that operates on its own dedicated propane tank. Can do the whole house if needed (although not forever). Wonderful during power losses which are not uncommon where I live. It's toast if an EMP happens here.

Same thing with my back up solar Goal Zero system. It could probably run the well but not my septic and it would not survive an EMP either.

Even if you did have an anti emp device installed at your home or vehicle, what is the likelihood that the power providers infrastructure would still be putting out any juice? Wouldn't they also be impacted by the HEMP, or are they hardened enough to remain viable?

Does anybody really know? Is there anyone on here with an electrical or power plant type of background to clarify if substations and generating stations would still be putting out any voltage?

Does anyone know if those stand alone solar battery generators are hardened against an EMP? or would they be hosed as well?

Please advise.
I don't have an electrical or powerplant background, but pretty sure everything in the chain would be toast. How long it would take to get back up and running is anybody's guess, and priority would go to essential services - police, fire, hospitals, etc. - so it would probably take a while for residential power service to be restored. I was under the impression any consumer electronics not in a Faraday cage or bag would be hosed, but may be mistaken.

They are not. They're maybe some somewhere that operate in a faraday cage, but most consumer and commercial don't. I have a nice Generac 22kw stand alone that operates on its own dedicated propane tank. Can do the whole house if needed (although not forever). Wonderful during power losses which are not uncommon where I live. It's toast if an EMP happens here.

Same thing with my back up solar Goal Zero system. It could probably run the well but not my septic and it would not survive an EMP either.
Could you construct a 'Faraday shed' around your generator?

I don't have an electrical or powerplant background, but pretty sure everything in the chain would be toast. How long it would take to get back up and running is anybody's guess, and priority would go to essential services - police, fire, hospitals, etc. - so it would probably take a while for residential power service to be restored. I was under the impression any consumer electronics not in a Faraday cage or bag would be hosed, but may be mistaken.
All utility protection equipment would be fried.

It wouldn't matter if everything you wanted to power was fried
Does the EMP kill things like lights and all? I guess anything with a motor would be toast ? So yea guess having the genset would not help much if nothing I wanted to run still lived. Bummer. If I could at least have lights might be nice I suppose. Of course not sure if the lights would not just attract all the damn people I would not want trying to look for food too. :(

Does the EMP kill things like lights and all? I guess anything with a motor would be toast ? So yea guess having the genset would not help much if nothing I wanted to run still lived. Bummer. If I could at least have lights might be nice I suppose. Of course not sure if the lights would not just attract all the damn people I would not want trying to look for food too. :(
Probably not most lights, but anything with a magnetic winding or computer chip would be done for. That would include some modern flashlights with multiple modes, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top