JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that there has been a lot of discussion about "Bug-Out Guns" etc. Everybody has a favorite and if it works for him, well...
I want to talk about sights. I know that scopes are better when you have tired old eyes like mine. I have heard 100 reasons to buy 100 different scopes. I lean toward Leupold and Nikon. But scopes are somewhat delicate. Both Nikon and Leopold give wonderful warranties, but what if they are not around when you need them?
Would it be better to purchase one expensive scope or several less expensive ones? With several you could probably always make one of them work. Whaddaya think?
Another thing I believe is that your rifle should also have iron sights for a backup. I believe that these are tougher than scopes. Agree? Disagree? Let's hear your opinion!

Up here in fir tree and blackberry land I'm not concerned with much over 100 yards, so I've been replacing many of my stock sights (hand guns and long guns) with ghost rings of one sort or another (helps with the vision changes over the years). Personally, if I were going to scope a SHTF gun I would buy one that has a solid record of holding up in abusive conditions (doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive). Would you rather have 3 SHTF Yugos in your driveway, or 1 SHTF Toyota?

I'm leaning away from many sights or anything that sticks out from my gun in a bug out situation. Things that stick out get hung up, bent, damaged, or damage other stuff, not to mention being difficult to pack in in a hurry. That same general rule applies to HD shotguns for me, considering where I keep them. For me, I'm still trying to find a way to fit a light and laser to my Mossberg 590 SP that doesn't stick out. The popular forend light doesn't fit my gun, unfortunately, and I didn't know that when I got it.

Personally, the optic I put on my AR-15 cost nearly as much as the gun. It's an ACOG, so it does have a good reputation for durability.

Also, I recently put a Trijicon RMR on my Glock. It has also been built specifically to survive a drop from several feet.

Why do you want a scope? Knowing how to use what you have is more important than what you have. When you are bugging out, weight and space is a premium. Carrying something that is not high priority means you won't carry something that is, or more of it.

I still am not sure buggin out is the answer imo. I know you wouldn't stand a chance as far as bullet resistance or security in your house, but don't you think there will be a few thousand rednecks armed to the teeth heading to Mount Rainier when SHTF? Just saying. Best thing to I can figure to do is have a friendly conversation with a few like minded friends of yours and find a "platoon" or you don't stand a chance when Road Warrior times come. Then hopefully you can hook up with another group soon so you can pool resources. BTW Ak-47 all the way, but a decent one at least a Yugo like I have pictured, but thats my opinion...;)

Why do you want a scope? Knowing how to use what you have is more important than what you have. When you are bugging out, weight and space is a premium. Carrying something that is not high priority means you won't carry something that is, or more of it.

Agree Iron sights man, stick with em and they won't fail you. And they don't weigh any extra and wont get out adjustment too easily. Besides I can hit a man target at 300m all day long even with my .22, why do you need a scope? So you can shoot him through the eye?

Since my eyes still work, the irons on my Garand will hit anything out to 700 or 800 yards assuming I do my job. Best iron sights ever. Front sight post is roughly the same width at 200 yards as an average human head (at least that's what I've been told). beyond that, there is an Aimpoint on my AR as well as back-up QD iron sights.

got 1-4x scopes on a couple 223 rifles and I love them. At 1x they are quick, at 2-3x 100yds is waaaay faster that Irons. At 300yds it works way better for me. Not saying I couldn't do it with Irons, but I don't shoot to 300yds that often so all the help I can get the better. As for getting off the gun asap, just get a QD mount or have a tool on you to assist in removal. If you buy middle of the road and up I think you will be just fine with a scope. Stay clear of the cheap chinese junk as you get what you pay for. I don't think there is a good clear cut answer to this one. Its all just personal preference and what you as a shooter are comfortable with.

The older I get the more I need help, so I am moving to the peep sights on my guns. Its all about personal preference, and they both have +'s and -'s, I try to use my front sight post for quick target shooting in practical ranges and use full sights beyond say 25 yds. That being said I would love a halo sight sometimes, like an Eotech, since they don't have parallex distortion like red dots do. Just not in to the budget at this time.

I generally prefer iron sights. A scope does add extra weight to the Gun. If I get a scope for my main "bug-out" weapon, i'm gettin a fixed power scope such as a 4 or 6 power. That way, I feel that there is les to go wrong.

Yeah, ping as the 8 empty clip goes flyin', and DANG! as the thumb, once again gets smacked....still love em'.

The boom before the ping is much louder. The Ping is great for suspense in a movie. Still a great rifle.

USMC rifle team used them in the 60's. At the range, 36 inch bull was used a 500 yard with iron sights. I have shot a M14 to 1,000 M with iron. I like iron very practical and fool proof. I do like scopes for varminting, target and at range. But can live with out them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top