JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've shown this one elsewhere on this forum, but here it is again.
It's my mom's Murphy Jr Combat knife, made in WW2. She used it for hunting, dressing and skinning! My dad made the sheath in the 1940's.

IMG_0355.JPG

;) If a knife can't do food chores it isn't much use.
When my kids were young, I would add a knife to their birthday and Christmas gifts giving them quite a collection. I carried autos since the mid '80s and would use it until it started to show a little wear and then put it in the kids collection. Sometimes buying 3-4 different ones per year and ruining plenty of them with scratches and wear. Often paying $50. to $1,000. for a knife was fun for 25 years but I discovered what Doc in Uplace said is pretty true...All the collectable knives with mammoth tusk ivory scales and gold or silver trim, are not worth a bowl of soup when you are hungry and need one. A sheath knife made of one piece of steel can do some real work without losing value every time you hone it or scratch it. Most pocket knives and often case the autos, are nice for opening letters or cutting string or something. Expensive way of doing what a dollar store knife could do. But, we like nice things and it sometimes makes us feel like we have something special. Until you try to sell it and find out nobody wants it. I carry a Benchmade Triage now because it's easy to open and practical for gardening and work around the house. It would not be an actual survival knife if I needed one. I used a SOG survival knife for years and have a KaBar if I needed something bigger. When it comes to skinning and cutting up game, a kitchen boning knife is as good as any.

Here is a Scarab I just traded for and it arrived today. It is new but the pics look like it has marks on the blade. These are the tanks of the Microtech OTF line.
James

20161123_133136_resized.jpg 20161123_133145_resized.jpg 20161123_133223_resized.jpg 20161123_133213_resized.jpg

Given to me by my step grandfather in law who I knew for too short of a time but was one of the coolest old guys I've met.

A friend of his brought this back from the Middle East and I wish I had written down the story behind it because I have long forgotten it unfortunately.

This was a user and not a tourist trophy so I have kept the leather clean and never polished it like I have wanted to many times but it has character. I believe the shape is to get around a shield. It is strong and sharp enough to shave with and IMO as an amature knife guy it would hold a good edge.

Fits the sheath like a glove and without measuring it I will guess it's a 20" blade. Handle is much nicer in natural light and has a few different materials.

If anyone knows something about its origins or if it's just a utility blade I'd be interested in what you may know.

View attachment 318687
View attachment 318688
View attachment 318689

Sort of reminds me of these Thai knives <broken link removed> I'd think it is of Southeast Asian origin.

Everyone says this to me, and I looked it up a few years ago and was shocked. You can sell and purchase them, but not carry switchblades. Yet, there is no length limit, so you can carry around a sword if you want. It just can't open by centrifugal force or spring. What sparked my interest into the legality was that a few years ago I had an officer inspect my knife, he wailed on it to open it with "centrifugal force," and proceeded to lecture me.

Here's the up to date legal garbage...

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 &#167;1; 1985 c.543 &#167;2; 1989 c.839 &#167;21; 1999 c.1040

Not sure if someone responded to this yet, but it says "concealed" and I have been advised that if a pocket clip is used outside the pocket it is not concealed.

Nice Katana! It might be the camera, but I think I can see the hamon below the folded ends of the pattern welding in the first pic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top