JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I went with the utility type with multiple blades ya know just in case one got dull (like me) just flip out another. Of course the utility one everyone should have as well, but I have lots more for just chits and giggles too. Last expensive one I bought was a second infidel that ended up self identifying (after a meet up) as a ruger 38. I dont plan on getting into a knife fight or needing to use one for survival so I go cheap as long as it cuts. I usually just give away knives if I get tired of them It's not worth the effort to try to sell one.

View attachment 1347346 View attachment 1347347
I don't plan on getting in a gun fight either but I don't go cheap on firearms, optics or ammo.

I have the same mentality to blades that I may be using to defend my life along with all the other gear I carry on my person.

The purpose behind the blade will validate the money I put on it.

Yeah - I am one of those who do not quite understand why some charging handles cost almost $100 when a stock one is $20 at most. I like the ambi handles, but those can be had for less than $20 too.
You're right, it's absurd the cost for certain aftermarket parts. I'm 100% guilty of buying $70.00 charging handles and $40.00 bolt releases. Still haven't ponied up for a 45 degree throw safety selector.

I was just making fun of every bubba and his dog thinking a couple aftermarket parts makes a custom firearm.

As to our topic; I believe our society is chalk- full of Irresponsible, impulsive consumers. These knives at or above retail are just a symptom of of bad money habits and poor critical thinking skills.

I never understood expensive knives. At all. They serve zero purpose. Even a gun made out of a meteor fallen to earth, still shoots. Likely shoots very well too. An expensive knife has no advantage over a sharp piece of wood in my opinion. Most won't even use it as a knife, it will never cut anything, it might not ever see the outside of its box. Some argue that the metal matters, well does it cut, yes, so…

Unless it is made of rare metal, say solid gold, I see no point in buying expensive knives other than the, "mine cost more" affect of classism.
Well, you're just not into high end knives. So trying to sell you on the idea is a waste of time like trying to explain why be-bop is cool to someone who isn't into jazz at all. For myself, I like them. I have a small collection of Randall Made knives and a couple other high end blades. If I decide I no longer want them I know I can find buyers who will snap them up at my asking price. Classism? That's a bit of a reach though I suppose some folks may get a kick out of rubbing poor people's noses in their poverty but that's hardly endemic to knife collecting.
And ESEE. I can get an ESEE 3 for less than $100 on some sites brand new shipped and some of these guys want $150+ for one they used at an amateur throwing knife demo.

Knives are like cars. They lose 30% of their value as soon as they go out the door.
Not the good ones. Randalls, Mad Dog, Loveless only seem to go up.

Well, you're just not into high end knives. So trying to sell you on the idea is a waste of time like trying to explain why be-bop is cool to someone who isn't into jazz at all. For myself, I like them. I have a small collection of Randall Made knives and a couple other high end blades. If I decide I no longer want them I know I can find buyers who will snap them up at my asking price. Classism? That's a bit of a reach though I suppose some folks may get a kick out of rubbing poor people's noses in their poverty but that's hardly endemic to knife collecting.

Not the good ones. Randalls, Mad Dog, Loveless only seem to go up.
So you're a collector? I don't think those that collect are in the same realm. Anyone that collects anything will spend whatever they think is correct for what they perceive as valuable. People pay large, sometimes stupid, amounts of money for the most insane things when it comes to collections. I paid more than I normally would for a Boker that I don't need, simply because it was painted to look like a donut with sprinkles. Still, it was under $100. I am hoping 5-10 years from now some collectors like you might want to buy it at a grossly marked up price!

I get caught up on those that don't collect, those that say one knife is better at being a knife than another, because it cost more. Maybe a bit more for materials, a bit more for a slightly harder metal… Bam, now my folder is $800!

Maybe I need to be cut by one of these high end knives, maybe it will feel different. o_O

Just to be clear (and not aimed at anyone in particular) a lifelong friend and knife maker has exposed me to $5000 knives and yea a $200k Lamborghini is very appealing to me and if I made that kind of money I might buy one and have no malice towards those that do.

I get materials and art labor etc etc and am not saying a $600 knife isn't worth $600. My main point was that I don't understand why a $350 production knife lists used for $330.

No complaints just wanted to be clear as there has been a slight thread drift but discussions are going to do that of course.
Well that's a whole 'nother thing. Some folks start out with a high asking price because maybe, just maybe someone will be desperate enough, or under informed enough to buy it. When I list a price I do it at a level that gives me room to drop that price to whatever my minimum acceptable price is. If I can get my asking price, great but if not I can lower the price. and if that doesn't work (and I haven't forgotten about it,) I pull the item and try it on a different site. I'm obsessing on Randall Made Knives right now so I'll use it as an example. For a while I was flipping Randalls on e-bay. I'd order the knife from Randall for their price at that time , give them a $50 deposit wait 2-3 years and pay it off and promptly sell it on e-bay at 75 to 100+% markup. Why so high? Because I discovered there are folks out there who are willing to pay to NOT wait 3 years for a Randall. I made a few sales that way but stopped when the waiting period got too long for my short attention span. Then as my situation improved, I bought Randalls for myself.
The other day I got a note from Randall that my Confederate Bowie will be another 12 weeks. I ordered it in September 2017 and the original delivery date was tomorrow. Oh well....
Bottom line is folks want as much as they can possibly get for whatever they're selling. Some actually think their item is a rarity and worth what they're asking.
Hell, they think they're giving you a great deal at that price!
Other folks are setting up to negotiate.

So you're a collector? I don't think those that collect are in the same realm. Anyone that collects anything will spend whatever they think is correct for what they perceive as valuable. People pay large, sometimes stupid, amounts of money for the most insane things when it comes to collections. I paid more than I normally would for a Boker that I don't need, simply because it was painted to look like a donut with sprinkles. Still, it was under $100. I am hoping 5-10 years from now some collectors like you might want to buy it at a grossly marked up price!

I get caught up on those that don't collect, those that say one knife is better at being a knife than another, because it cost more. Maybe a bit more for materials, a bit more for a slightly harder metal… Bam, now my folder is $800!

Maybe I need to be cut by one of these high end knives, maybe it will feel different. o_O
LOL I know those types of people very well. They've read a knife magazine, maybe even a book

As far as Randall knives go....
I'd love to get a Model 26....it ain't the wait or the price that stops me....
I am left handed...and after spending $400 plus dollars...I would still need to find and buy a left handed sheath.
Oh well.....:D
Andy

As far as Randall knives go....
I'd love to get a Model 26....it ain't the wait or the price that stops me....
I am left handed...and after spending $400 plus dollars...I would still need to find and buy a left handed sheath.
Oh well.....:D
Andy
Well
Ya could wear it backwards...

You're right, it's absurd the cost for certain aftermarket parts. I'm 100% guilty of buying $70.00 charging handles and $40.00 bolt releases. Still haven't ponied up for a 45 degree throw safety selector.

I was just making fun of every bubba and his dog thinking a couple aftermarket parts makes a custom firearm.

As to our topic; I believe our society is chalk- full of Irresponsible, impulsive consumers. These knives at or above retail are just a symptom of of bad money habits and poor critical thinking skills.
Go for the 45 degree throw safety selector. And yea ambi charging handles like the Radian Raptor are expensive but the $20.00 knock offs are trash.

Just wait until your roll pins start walking out and gouge into your upper receiver and the handles get all wobbly.

Left handed ain't too weird....what is weird , is being left handed and right eye dominant....:eek: :D
Sooo....
I shoot handguns left handed...as well as using a knife...but shoot long guns...right handed.
That's weird.....:D
Andy
I'm right handed but left eye dominant…. I've trained myself to shoot left handed both pistol and rifle. Haha

You ask too much, I offer too little. We meet somewhere in the middle,
or go our separate ways. No harm no foul.

I don't plan on getting in a gun fight either but I don't go cheap on firearms, optics or ammo.

I have the same mentality to blades that I may be using to defend my life along with all the other gear I carry on my person.

The purpose behind the blade will validate the money I put on it.
Well not every firearm I have is for carry so yep I have cheaper ones same goes for knives, the ones of either that I carry are not the low end ones. But again I dont plan on getting into a knife fight thats why I carry a gun, sorry for the other persons choice to bring a knife to a gun fight.........:p

A politely worded offer via a PM ain't be a bad thing , in regards to a classified ad.
You never know unless you ask.

Often however...the price is whatever it is....whether it makes sense to me or not.
Andy
Polite offer by PM is worth a shot, regardless of the number. Being obnoxious with a good offer will often get you dismissed out of hand.
If you trade a lot, it makes sense to ask on the higher side. It cuts down on the "Will you take 73 dollars, 3 boxes of tarnished 9mm with bullet setback, and a kydex holster for a Borchardt," or offers of a $200 retail gun and $100 for the $650 retail pistol that you've listed at a fair cash price.

Honestly, just ask. I dunno about everyone else, but half the fun in doing the trading thing is meeting and BS'ing with fellow hobbyists. I've paid more for used than I otherwise would've because I'm helping other local guys keep things moving in the hobby, and other folks have done the same for me. I know I'm not the only one that's been able to try out way more guns than someone several income brackets higher than myself thanks to trading toys around on the board here.

Well not every firearm I have is for carry so yep I have cheaper ones same goes for knives, the ones of either that I carry are not the low end ones. But again I dont plan on getting into a knife fight thats why I carry a gun, sorry for the other persons choice to bring a knife to a gun fight.........:p
Maybe. Depends on how close they are to you. Haha

The mentality that a gun is a "fix all" or "equalizer"tool is insane to me.

Last Edited:
A knife is for fighting your way to your sword. Lorgic.
And a sword gets you to your pistol. And the pistol gets you to your rifle…… haha.

One is none. And two is one. And some other Moto statements like that. Haha.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top