JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just looking for some clarification so it's an opinion piece and everyone has one so be kind but I'm trying to figure out why the knife section is the way it is.

I see used (both never carried/cut - needs to be sharpened) knifes priced at or $20 under what I can find ones online for and unless you live 10 minutes from me I would just as soon pay tax and get free shipping to my door then drive 30-90 min for that small of a discount.

I understand niche items go for a premium but I'm mostly looking at mass produced folders as that is my personal preference and the ones I have get used. So paying $80 for a $250 knife makes sense where paying $280 for a $300 knife doesn't.

Are all knives that collectible was my first thought but almost none of the ones I see in the last 6 months are all that special and the only ones that have seem to have sold are either good deals or people might be unaware that there are reputable companies online where you can sometimes get them for less then a local deal.

Again, not bashing if this is your thing - really just trying to understand.

Is it kosher to offer what would most likely be considered a lowball number to someone who posted a knife a year ago?

Or is it maybe better to do what I've been doing and keep scrolling?

Thanks for the input in advance!

Same reason you see carried, dirty and shot guns going for near retail. People have a hard time taking a loss or admitting they bought the wrong thing so want all their money back and want someone else to do the legwork.

No harm in making an offer. I had a guy offer me about half my asking price which was already well below market. Told him I'd just keep it and fix the mechanical issue myself. And if I did the price would go up and STILL be the cheapest on the market. Haven't updated my ad to reflect the repair.

The classifieds pricing here has been crazy for a while now, and it's especially true with the knives. There's some folks that are just really out-of-touch with the market. Make the offer—some folks will have xmas bills they wanna pay off.

I have a lot of knives - but 95% of them I would not sell.

Like you, I tend to buy value knives - only a few have I spent close to (or over) $100 for.

Being a prepper I buy knives for my use, to give as presents and for barter.

I too would not travel far for a small discount on almost anything - just not worth the cost & time - would rather have it delivered if I can. The exception would be when I am going into town anyway and/or something hard to find.

It isn't just knives, as was pointed out above. Many items being advertised for more than the item can be bought for new locally, or "custom" items where the seller wants their regretted "investment" dollars all refunded by a buyer.

It isn't just knives, as was pointed out above. Many items being advertised for more than the item can be bought for new locally, or "custom" items where the seller wants their regretted "investment" dollars all refunded by a buyer.
I always saw that on cars when I was younger and saw someone list a $5k Mustang with all $10,000 worth of mods lost in detail which in someone's mind makes it a $15k car when in my experience you just flushed $8-9k down the toilet and like new parents with ugly kids, the only person that loves what you have is you.

My buddy called it the emotional factor when we would look for something to flip or upgrade what we had.

I mod my guns very little and even then I never plan on selling but if I'm going to Cote it purple I better be prepared to take a slight loss on the base price of the gun if I do for some reason sell one and not use it as a selling point to justify an above new price.

So it sounds like it's about what I thought, I'm just more informed on guns and thought maybe I was missing something with the knives.

Same reason you see carried, dirty and shot guns going for near retail. People have a hard time taking a loss or admitting they bought the wrong thing so want all their money back and want someone else to do the legwork.

No harm in making an offer. I had a guy offer me about half my asking price which was already well below market. Told him I'd just keep it and fix the mechanical issue myself. And if I did the price would go up and STILL be the cheapest on the market. Haven't updated my ad to reflect the repair.
What are you selling' that you don't want to fix for more money than it'd cost in lower price??? I may be interested, I'm always looking for deals.

What are you selling' that you don't want to fix for more money than it'd cost in lower price??? I may be interested, I'm always looking for deals.
Just a benchmade infidel. It had an issue with a sticking mechanism which I fixed. I was asking $200 for it, I'll probably just keep it at that price anyway.

A politely worded offer via a PM ain't be a bad thing , in regards to a classified ad.
You never know unless you ask.

Often however...the price is whatever it is....whether it makes sense to me or not.
Andy

As with any item not being purchased retail (and even some of them, I have pleasantly found out), I always consider price negotiable unless "firm" is stated by the seller.
Making an offer lower than the "firm" asking price is very nearly equivalent to calling the seller a liar, and certainly a gesture of disrespect.

Otherwise, a reasonable offer delivered respectfully (that does not disparage the item or the seller) should be responded to by the seller equally respectfully.

What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is committing to a purchase without seeing the item in hand. (Unless of course, it is absolutely brand new.) If such is impossible due to geography, an agreed-upon inspection period is in order.

In hand, the item may exhibit features/flaws that justify the asking price, or a fair offer of less.

As to modern knives (other than by recognized collector-grade makers such as Randall, Ruana, Morseth and such), I fail to understand the fascination while knowing some of my fascinations are equally incomprehensible to others. I look at "knife tables" at gun shows with the same eye as the Beanie Babies.

I have wondered the same thing, although the "lack of a deal" seems a more recent phenomenon. Inflated prices seem confined to a few sellers but is not confined to the knives section only, as posted above.

Maybe some folks only want to part with their stuff if they are making a profit. So buyer beware I guess.

I never understood expensive knives. At all. They serve zero purpose. Even a gun made out of a meteor fallen to earth, still shoots. Likely shoots very well too. An expensive knife has no advantage over a sharp piece of wood in my opinion. Most won't even use it as a knife, it will never cut anything, it might not ever see the outside of its box. Some argue that the metal matters, well does it cut, yes, so…

Unless it is made of rare metal, say solid gold, I see no point in buying expensive knives other than the, "mine cost more" affect of classism.

I never understood expensive knives. At all. They serve zero purpose. Even a gun made out of a meteor fallen to earth, still shoots. Likely shoots very well too. An expensive knife has no advantage over a sharp piece of wood in my opinion. Most won't even use it as a knife, it will never cut anything, it might not ever see the outside of its box. Some argue that the metal matters, well does it cut, yes, so…

Unless it is made of rare metal, say solid gold, I see no point in buying expensive knives other than the, "mine cost more" affect of classism.
That argument can be used with any consumer good. Cars, houses, food, clothes, guns, etc.

Why the hell would you pay $4000 for a Wilson Combat when you can pay $400 for a RIA and they both go bang?

Because it's cooler, may last longer, looks nicer, feels better, smells better, impresses all the ladies, tickles your pickle in a way that makes you all tingly inside....

That's the wonderful world we live in, and it's been that way since recorded history. If it can be made, it can be made better, or different at the least.

1673889762834.png

I use my $16 Gerber folder daily (usually to open Amazon boxes). I have a Parang or two that I occasionally use for brush cutting. The rest I mostly have for prepping and rarely use if at all. I have a budget so I mostly go for "value" when buying knives.

That argument can be used with any consumer good. Cars, houses, food, clothes, guns, etc.

Why the hell would you pay $4000 for a Wilson Combat when you can pay $400 for a RIA and they both go bang?

Because it's cooler, may last longer, looks nicer, feels better, smells better, impresses all the ladies, tickles your pickle in a way that makes you all tingly inside....

That's the wonderful world we live in, and it's been that way since recorded history. If it can be made, it can be made better, or different at the least.

View attachment 1347246
I disagree.

Wilson Combat carries a warranty. Is made from better stuff where it's needed. Likely hand fit. To shoot beautifully. Its higher end components make it a nicer gun. Make it so the gun shoots better. You can do this exact thing to a less expensive gun and get similar results.

A car is the same. The nicer, the more enjoyable the ride. Etc.

A knife, the nicer it is, the better it cuts? Sure, maybe a nicer handle will feel better. Better metal might not snap in half as easy. But does it cut any better than just about anything sharpened can? If this can be explained to me, I might come to the other side.

Otherwise, I call BS to the, "it's the same as any other consumer good." Argument. There might be similar items that are made better simply for classism, but saying high end knives fit into a broader category than classism based on different types of consumer goods that have levels of economy, isn't enough for me. Art is about the only thing I can honestly think of. I don't understand art, so maybe that can be explained a bit too from those in the know.

I disagree.

Wilson Combat carries a warranty. Is made from better stuff where it's needed. Likely hand fit. To shoot beautifully. Its higher end components make it a nicer gun. Make it so the gun shoots better. You can do this exact thing to a press expensive gun and get similar results.
Everything you just stated falls true to cutlery as well.

Better steel is more expensive, holds an edge for longer, less likely to chip, and can have other qualities specific to that knives needs. Further more, higher end knives have tighter tolerances making them last longer, function smoother, flip faster, and use more expensive and more durable materials that have been machined with care to remove hot spots and burs.

Again, better companies have better warranties and stand behind their knives.

Yes, a ganzo will cut, but a ZT will have better edge geometry, better finish, come sharper, cut for longer, is less likely to fail, use better material, have higher QC, have a better warranty, and simply be a "Wilson Combat" to "RIA" when held next to a ganzo.

I mostly agree with you but wouldn't say it to a collector. Like anything else, it's probably a fun rabbit hole to dive down.

As for myself, my "go to" knives are a Havalon Piranta with replaceable blades that I got free with a subscription to Eastman's Hunting Journal, a Camillus fixed blade that I got free for joining the now defunct Free Hunters group of the NRA, and an old fixed blade Schrade that my sister gave me as a Christmas present when I was twelve years old. None of these are expensive knives, but for hunting purposes they will do and have done.

I've got a drawer full of other knives. For quite a few years the RMEF gave you a different knife when you re-upped your subscription, plus I've won a few at their banquets. I've also received a few as gifts. I suppose I could sell them, but given the value, I doubt it's worth the trouble.

I don't own any knives where I'm worried about the warranty. I would just toss it and move on.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top