JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was young and running a Case backhoe,every once in a while someone would hit the bucket when you had your head next to it,greasing the pins or changing the bucket.
Man did that clear your head out

I'm sure there are some on here that know battle that warrants body armor and plate carriers.Maybe some LEO that have been shot or have colleges that have been saved by BA
But for most of us,we haven't a clue as to what we would be getting into that we would need BA.
I have just heard stories from friends that were in,say Mogadishu? I think it was.Or my friend that was in a guard tower getting shot at for the year he was in the green zone
I don't know what state of mind I would be in if there was that many rounds flying by. But it wouldn't be a good one.
And how many can carry enough ammo AND the plates to keep up with this type battles?
Snipers shoot center mass cause most of the places we have gone ,the soldiers don't have armor.
I'll guarantee you if there is a battle on US soil,I'll be going for everywhere but center mass
I dunno,maybe I'm blowin' smoke,but I'm wondering how many of y'all knows what it will be like if you do need plate carriers

Totally agree.

My dad contracted in Afghanistan (non military) and was required to wear body armor and ride in armored hummers back and forth from the office/appartment FORTIFIED compound - high concrete and razor wire everywhere. That makes since to have some extra
Protection.

Other then that, I am going to keep rooting for plates only being useful in an offensive situation, preferably with others in a practiced Unit.

Otherwise, just don't stand out in the middle of anywhere during a time like that. Are you going to walk out your front door and into the street to look around or are you going to peak out a (hopefully blockaded) window?

Are you storming an enemy or ambushing them at a choke point?

I guess what I am trying to convey is that all of the gear in the world will do you no good if you do not truly know how and when to use it.

I think if you have to ask in this case, then you need to either reassess your needs or tailor your training for use with BA.

Absolutely, no offense to any I am disagreeing with - I just feel strongly about it.

Yes. Buy hard armor. Absolutely better than soft and gives more protection.

You don't need to carry so much armor and ammo that you can't move. Carry enough in case you have to use it to fight your way to more bullets, food, or shelter (where you can keep more than you can carry). Everyone seems to assume that after an event (natural disaster, riot etc.) that you would be on foot with only what you can carry.

That may be, but more likely, you might be at work, and you drove there, and could get away with what you have in the car, so that means you could carry more, and wouldn't have to worry about carrying it all on foot.

Attach this to your plate carrier and it has all you need to get you back to the truck, the house or the BOH (Bug Out House). Mine has a multi-tool in one of the pistol pouches and I have a small flashlight too.

And train with it on so you know what it would be like to have to wear it and do things in it.

I would also imagine that taking a hit to a chest plate, even with a handgun, will probably take a lot of people out of the fight. It has to ring your bell pretty good, knock the wind out of you and possibly bust some ribs. So unless you have some backup covering your bubblegum while you regain your composure, it may be a moot point.

That's why if I was that type of situation, I would still aim for center mass.

Admittedly I know next to zero about the topic, just what's knocking around in my head.

I was in the same boat about.. 5 or so years ago. I told myself.. I dont "need" them.. Blah blah blah.. However.. If you COULD have bought something before a ban, would you?

Had I not got a set of plates and a nice carrier I would have kicked myself for not having something that is otherwise a good defensive tool.

I also purchased all that stuff just to spit in the eye of our government.

They don't want me to have'em?
Well, then I MUST have them.

While Ive literally worn the carrier and plates 3 times, I like the thought of having them. Just like I enjoy the thought of having a spare mag for my EDC.. I doubt Ill ever use my first mag, but knowing I have a second just in case gives me piece of mind.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it (here soon) and not have it.

Right now its all affordable. All a ban will do is double if not tripple the plate prices overnight. Get them while they're cheap.

Can't afford BA! To old and weak to carry it! LOVE to have some! Really love to be able to buy sets for my children and grandchildren! Not that I don't trust the government or anything!

Seems like the general consensus is have it and not need it than otherwise. I most likely will look for a carrier that will work well as a chest rig with mag pouches etc so I have the option of plates later if I want to go that route. Like most have stated if something were to happen then I would be holed up inside my house and not out looking for trouble.

You might think about the possibility/probability of having to fight outside your house. You will never win a fight in your house so long as fire exits!
My other thought about BA is if you can afford it, get on with it while you can!:)

I tend to prefer a slick low profile plate carrier with multiple chest rigs. It gives the flexibility to have one set of plates but run what ever rig you need AR, AK, 308, 12ga, etc., it also allows you to drop your plates if you need to shed weight but still have your fighting rig.

Oh god. There's just too much to learn about this and get right!
Can I just get killed now? :D

I'm always amused when I read PPL saying that being hit by a handgun will knock down the Vic as this is in contravention to all known laws of physics. According to physics any firearm powerful enough to knock a man down on the receiving end would have an equal affect upon the person firing the shot (minus the weight of said firearm in regards to FT LBS of energy upon the shooter's hands or shoulder) to illustrate this effect simply view a UTube that shows bullets impacting on a suspended steel plate, the plate does not fly over the horizon upon impact. What will happen to the wearer if their plate is hit by a pistol? Virtually nothing beyond being shoved off balance and, depending on the level of plastic coating applied to the plate (bare plates are a big No No) a spalling effect on the outside of the plate.
What defeats AR500 is velocity, a projectile traveling @ 3000 or better will penetrate a standard Level III Plate but a Level III Plus plate is proof against most rounds up to 300 mag. When a rifle round hits there is lot of heat generated much of which is absorbed by the plastic coating and distributed through the plate, as is impact so heat is not a major threat until a major caliber like 338 RUM is used which will "penetrate" Level III Plus as shown in the second vid.

Last Edited:
Will you be able to enter and operate your vehicles while wearing your setup?
How quickly can you put it on and how easily can you get out of it?
Will it be with you or are you leaving it at home? Will it be with you if you need it?
How does it affect your mobility?
Will you be able to move quietly?
Are you claustrophobic and/or do you have breathing problems?

How long will it be before this protection is not available without a permit?

Just a few things to think about.

The vehicle part is EXACTLY what I tried out. Cumbersome but doable.
All the other gear people expect to bug out with is laughable.
Not many people actually test this stuff out and I agree, all the BA in the world wont save you if you dont know how to throw it on and know what limited mobility you may or may not have when wearing it.

I believe most people will never need the armor. I believe most people wouldn't have the first clue about mobility, how to move, how to shoot, etc.
Shooting with an LBV is completely different than shooting with a PC.

That said I also believe if you have the finances you should get some armor. You can always learn about everything I mentioned and the others have said.
My wife and I have armor. I have experience wearing it in the real world. She does not. But she's learning.
Do be aware of mobility as that is the biggest drawback. You have no idea how frustrating it is to be outmaneuvered because the enemy is wearing LBV's and t-shirts. Meanwhile you're wearing a 70lb kit (minimum), 12lb weapon (minimum), water, food, and really heavy boots without ankle support. And you've been awake for a long time.
Since I left the Infantry I sought to build almost an exact replica of my kit. I used it for about a year before I questioned why I was applying squad load outs to an individual. I realized I didn't need a combat load of ammo and all the other crap I needed over there.
My kit is a lot slimmer now.

I have a plate carrier; no plates yet... a PASGT L flak vest... an old probably no good Second Chance soft vest.. and a kevlar helemt.. I think of these; the PASGT flak vest would be the go to combined with a hard plate if you absolutely need it. Otherwise; its all up to you. If a 30-06 can go through AR500 level 3 plate.. how would it do if one had soft armor behind that hard plate? Probably reduce velocity a bit and still hurt a lot, right? That said... movement, mobility and training is key. The vast majority of soft armor and plates are rated for handgun rounds; not rifle. If ya need rifle level armor.. maybe best to turn your truck or car into an armored vehicle with at the very least; 1-2 inches of steel in key points. By the way; 13mm (half inch or so) steel is not going to stop .50bmg or .338 lapua.

I have a plate carrier; no plates yet... a PASGT L flak vest... an old probably no good Second Chance soft vest.. and a kevlar helemt.. I think of these; the PASGT flak vest would be the go to combined with a hard plate if you absolutely need it. Otherwise; its all up to you. If a 30-06 can go through AR500 level 3 plate.. how would it do if one had soft armor behind that hard plate? Probably reduce velocity a bit and still hurt a lot, right? That said... movement, mobility and training is key. The vast majority of soft armor and plates are rated for handgun rounds; not rifle. If ya need rifle level armor.. maybe best to turn your truck or car into an armored vehicle with at the very least; 1-2 inches of steel in key points. By the way; 13mm (half inch or so) steel is not going to stop .50bmg or .338 lapua.
You can buy AR500 Plus, plates, in stock at Limitless, 501 26th St, Washougal 3605532377

I debated body armor for at least 6 years. I finally got one and I'm super happy with it. Did a ton of research on carriers, armor types, and sources. Base model as I see it is the Condor MOPC, I've heard it's comfortable, the molle is generally uniform, and around $66. There are many options out there up to $400, for just the carrier. Ultimately I just got a deal on AR500armor.com on an ACU IOTV with level III steel plates. I love having it when I'm out shooting in the woods to have rifle and pistol magazines handy on me. I'm planning on adding a hydration bladder to the back as well. Sure it's heavy but I've worn it driving to and from the range, and shooting for 4 hours, and felt fine after.

I didn't think about it before buying one, but now I realize the likelyhood of wanting body armor is nearly as likely as needing to use a gun for self defense. If I'm ever in a shootout, despite what rounds can potentially defeat it, I'm going to want body armor, and I'm glad I have it.

One day I'd love to get DKX rifle plates, they're like 80% lighter than steel, and even float. However they're like $500 per plate.

I do sometimes feel like a huge dork going shooting with a plate carrier. Last time I had some friends over to go shooting I had it on before we took off to the range, and they said "we're going shooting in the woods right, and not a federal building?" So there's that. Ultimately, there's a reason many cops and military units wear armor, it can potentially save your life. A pile of food, water, guns and ammo aren't going to do you any good if you're dead.

I try to be prepared for any emergency that may happen, be it having extra food, water, first aide, etc. And of course with all that is being able to protect me and my family. I recently finished building my first AR and as soon as money/available time off/wife allows, I plan on taking a rifle class of some sort since I haven't shot a rifle other than a .22 or BB gun since I was in my early teens(in early 30s now).

Since I live in a higher traffic area and very close to a major shopping area, it's crossed my mind that if there was an active shooter, civil unrest, SHTF etc. that I should probably look into getting a plate carrier/chest rig. Plus it might come in handy when taking a rifle class.

So my question to everyone here with much more experience than I, what would be a good plate carrier for a home defense/SHTF etc? Due to cost, I would probably buy the carrier and then as I have the money, buy the plates, mag pouches etc.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.
I own the SKD Pig.
Not too expensive, and light enough that it can be comfortable for hours with minimal wear and tear on your body. More comfortable than the military IOTV I wore every day for years in Afghanistan, but then I don't think it would stand up to years of daily wear the same way, either. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is.
A PC is the way to go anymore as far as having everything "there" and readily available....hard plates or soft panels for protection, medical, ammo source, hydration source, etc. The various pistol belts, harnesses, butt packs etc of my earlier military days still have a role in being "prepared" for bad stuff, but there's a difference.
I don't know about everyone elses school experiences, but I'm still finding that most guys attending the firearms classes I go to are still not showing up with plate carriers. I'm not sure if its a comfort issue, or they don't want to put wear and tear on what is cumulatively a multi-hundred dollar piece of gear. I figure that's a mistake; people should be training as they expect to fight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top