JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I try to be prepared for any emergency that may happen, be it having extra food, water, first aide, etc. And of course with all that is being able to protect me and my family. I recently finished building my first AR and as soon as money/available time off/wife allows, I plan on taking a rifle class of some sort since I haven't shot a rifle other than a .22 or BB gun since I was in my early teens(in early 30s now).

Since I live in a higher traffic area and very close to a major shopping area, it's crossed my mind that if there was an active shooter, civil unrest, SHTF etc. that I should probably look into getting a plate carrier/chest rig. Plus it might come in handy when taking a rifle class.

So my question to everyone here with much more experience than I, what would be a good plate carrier for a home defense/SHTF etc? Due to cost, I would probably buy the carrier and then as I have the money, buy the plates, mag pouches etc.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

so many variables ......mobility or "protection".......and that's only if you take one center mass.....
I think your on a better track learning to fight with your rifle and then learning to disappear
If you plan on getting with a force and getting into prolonged firefights then body armor might not be a bad idea
Body armor is not even close to a guarantee , learning to fight aggressively and guerilla tactics are my choice.....hit , run

Yea, your way more likely to be shot in the head or shoulder then center mass while in a defensive situation.

If I was at a mall and someone started shooting, I would use my pistol to get me to my car (where your thinking of leaving the body armor), then I'm driving the hell out of there...

IF you plan on going on the offensive in unknown territory then I would get armor - otherwise I'm grabbing something that will stop the threat and hiding behind my oak bed with my sights on the door.

Hit and run and ambush tactics are what your looking for, not military contractor group tactics.

Just my two penny's - no offense to the ex-military guy that still keeps that gear because it is familiar to him.

Personally, I'd buy more guns and a crap ton of ammo and spend your time and money practicing as often as possible.

If your looking to take classes, close quarters fighting is way more likely then engaging an enemy at 300 yards behind cover.

Find a buddy to take you shooting and teach you about your rifle, it will be less stressful and more personalized.
(lots of folks here would be willing to go out and help teach fundamentals).

***I re-read this and it seems sort of condescending but that was not the intent, more to add food for thought since your newer to firearms as far as things go.

Personally I don't think I would want either. To be shot or to be shot with armor on. If I had to chose, I would take the plates.

Likely threats would be pistol related, or common MSR related. So I would look at getting something light, that stops pistol as well as 223/556 and the 7.62x39. Then pray you don't have rancher Tom out there walking around with a 30-06, because I would think 2200-2800 foot pounds of energy distributed across a 8"x10" plate could hurt as much as simply getting shot.

I would vote yes. In my eyes, anything that is meant to prolong life is a good thing.

on't have rancher Tom out there walking around with a 30-06, because I would think 2200-2800 foot pounds of energy distributed across a 8"x10" plate could

Lot of videos out there of regular FMJ 30-06 rounds going thru ar500 level 3 plates like butta. It won't hurt you, It'll kill you;)

My friend highly recommends buying hard armor, specifically III Plus plates, they never wear-out and you can resell them. You can buy some budget MOLLE plate carriers that will do the job that are thinner and lighter material than GI type carriers, there are non-MOLLE 'concealed' carriers but why bother when a striped light weight MOLLE type will conceal as well? As for the need for BA, that question is answered the instant an angry shot is fired in one's vicinity, and I can guarantee if shots are going down range Plates will be impossible to buy at any price. Curved plates are more comfortable than flat plates and, despite what many say are just as strong as flat plates. Light weight vests do not support side plates if that is an issue.
My friend would also advise that 'snipers' are trained to shoot center of mass.

My friend would also advise that 'snipers' are trained to shoot center of mass.

I'm pretty sure that only started after they went to the .50BMG rifles because just about any hit is lethal, but I could be wrong.

If you want to train and haul armor, all the better; why not add a helmet as well if your going that route. It would restrict me too much to have the added weight now though so I would put the money into quick access safes and other secure ways to access my firearms quickly (especially with kids).

I'm pretty sure that only started after they went to the .50BMG rifles because just about any hit is lethal, but I could be wrong.

If you want to train and haul armor, all the better; why not add a helmet as well if your going that route. It would restrict me too much to have the added weight now though so I would put the money into quick access safes and other secure ways to access my firearms quickly (especially with kids).

I would not hesitate to wear a helmet if the situation warranted. Of course I am aware that even Kevlar helmets are not truly bullet proof if hit @90 degrees, there are many reasons to protect one's noggin.

!cid_X_MA10_1339688062@aol.jpgbadday.jpg

Then pray you don't have rancher Tom out there walking around with a 30-06, because I would think 2200-2800 foot pounds of energy distributed across a 8"x10" plate could hurt as much as simply getting shot.

I would vote yes. In my eyes, anything that is meant to prolong life is a good thing.

Yes. But 13,000 foot pounds of energy from a .50BMG will still turn you inside out!

- Rancher Tom- :D

DSCN4493.JPG

Just make sure any plates you buy can withstand multiple .338 Lapua hits to the back.

Seriously though I wouldn't mind having a set but my personal risk assessment dictates I am more likely to need to prepare for other contingencies than a combat situation. For instance if you are overweight, a heart attack will kill you before a level 3 plate will save your life.

Just make sure any plates you buy can withstand multiple .338 Lapua hits to the back.

Seriously though I wouldn't mind having a set but my personal risk assessment dictates I am more likely to need to prepare for other contingencies than a combat situation. For instance if you are overweight, a heart attack will kill you before a level 3 plate will save your life.

Good point.

If your in such bad shape. Or so weak you cant benefit from a plate.
Or lugging it around kills you.
Then why get one? :s0092:

The energy from that round is still going to be absorbed by your body.

If you have all the other potential threats covered, I would get body armor. It's way low on the list but it is well above NBC gear, IMO. AR500 is very affordable.http://www.ar500armor.com

And as said above, a helmet too. Surplus K-pots are going for 80 bucks. ACH for 230. Just don't paint them light blue :eek:

I'm sure there are some on here that know battle that warrants body armor and plate carriers.Maybe some LEO that have been shot or have colleges that have been saved by BA
But for most of us,we haven't a clue as to what we would be getting into that we would need BA.
I have just heard stories from friends that were in,say Mogadishu? I think it was.Or my friend that was in a guard tower getting shot at for the year he was in the green zone
I don't know what state of mind I would be in if there was that many rounds flying by. But it wouldn't be a good one.
And how many can carry enough ammo AND the plates to keep up with this type battles?
Snipers shoot center mass cause most of the places we have gone ,the soldiers don't have armor.
I'll guarantee you if there is a battle on US soil,I'll be going for everywhere but center mass
I dunno,maybe I'm blowin' smoke,but I'm wondering how many of y'all knows what it will be like if you do need plate carriers

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top