JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preferred shotgun brand?

• Rem 870 and the like Pump

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Mossburg 500-590 etc Pump

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Rem Simi auto

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Moss Simi auto

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Chiapa (spelling lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Benelli (sp?)

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Beretta (sp?

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other Pump

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other Simi

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • What's a Shotgun?

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
Seems like the most logical option to me. I will never go back to a right handed shotgun, after owning my lh 870 wingmaster...
I shoot right handed pumps and autos fine but my best 870 is left handed. I know some people are sensitive to empty hulls going across there face, I guess I am not. I have a magnificent Remington M17 20 gauge we had restored for my wife. It is built on the John Browning M37 patent (ejects down) before the war. It is a true small frame gun. Weighs less than 6 lbs. Remington also built a large frame 12 gauge version, both for short periods of time. I learned to shoot trap with my 1100 LH TB trap gun. It was nearly flawless over the tens of thousands of rounds I shot through it. We would frequently shoot 400-500 rounds a day 6 days a week.

Last Edited:
CZ 712 semi for me.
I used to have an old Marlin Glenfield 778 that had the most butter-smooth action of any pump I ever shot. Wish I'd kept it.

I grew up with a buddy that owned a Mossberg clone, it was called the Maverick 88. Every time he pumped it, he scared all the ducks away. It (the slide/pump) was so loud that they heard it from a mile away....MANY times, I felt like tossing that sob in the river....

My dads gun is actually very nice, it took a very nice bird gun for me to Simi retire it. Although I have only used it on clays and falling jugs with some buck shot for fun.

Thanks... I try my best to take of it.
I still hunt with it... but on nice days only and I'm real careful where I step...:D
We will have to get together so you can shoot it...
Andy

Oh, I'd love to rack a few through that beauty. My dad gave me a 20 gauge 870 a few years back but it was the youth model and I'm way too stretched out for an 11" LOP so I sold it with his blessings. It went to a good home, a young dad bought it for his son's first scatter gun. I was good with the sale and still am.

Perrazi
Parker
L.C. Smith
Rem 3200
Ruger Red Label
SKS
Charles Daly
Purdey
Browning Superposed
Browning A5
Browning Citori
Ithica 37
Remington Model 31
Not a bad list, You are obviously a man of taste and experiance, I don't know about a SKS shotgun (maby an SKB?) and some Charles Dalys are not good. The name was used as a label for many different shotguns in the later years, many that were not up to his standards. The Prussian ones are the best, you never know what you are going to get with the Spanish examples. I don't do Oriental guns but the quality can be very good. My Superposed Broadway trap locks up like a vault and has been shot a lot since it was built in 1958....off course with the Brownings, you have to be careful with salted wood. L.C. Smith is a world class design and quality gun. Good list.

Last Edited:
Started with the 870 so Im sticking with it.

For semi auto Ive been eyeballing the Mossberg 930

.. and admittedly the chinese SAS12, just because its cheap and takes box mags.

DSC06561.jpg DSC06564.jpg DSC06570.jpg
This one is kinda fun too.
It's a 12 / .44 shotgun rifle combo...Circa 1850-60
The locks are new and I had to make front and rear sights along with the ramrod for it.
I have shot this one a bit...but no game has fallen to it...yet ( at least for me )
Andy

For a working and defensive shotgun, the Mossberg 500s. Here's a pic part of our scattergun line up:

CombatShotguns.jpg
From the top: Mossberg 500 in 12 (2¾ and 3"), Mossberg 500 Youth in 20 (2¾ and 3"), duly-registered Baikal SxS SBS in 12 (2¾"-only), and a duly-registered Mossberg-pattern Super Shorty in 12 (2¾ and 3").

View attachment 395750 View attachment 395751 View attachment 395752
This one is kinda fun too.
It's a 12 / .44 shotgun rifle combo...Circa 1850-60
The locks are new and I had to make front and rear sights along with the ramrod for it.
I have shot this one a bit...but no game has fallen to it...yet ( at least for me )
Andy
Very nice, is the rifle barrel smooth bore or rifled? The triggers look like a set trigger, how do they work? Some old German gunsmith built that one. You can still get similar guns new.

Thank you!
Yep it has a set screw for the rifle trigger only
I have it adjusted to how I like ... but I have not "weighed" the trigger pull

The rifle barrel is rifled with a fast twist set up for bullets...I use a .429 diameter .44 caliber all lead bullet to good effect.

I haven't found any markings on the gun...but I'd agree some old time German Gunsmith put together a great gun.
Andy
Very nice, is the rifle barrel smooth bore or rifled? The triggers look like a set trigger, how do they work? Some old German gunsmith built that one. You can still get similar guns new.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top