JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preferred shotgun brand?

• Rem 870 and the like Pump

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Mossburg 500-590 etc Pump

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Rem Simi auto

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Moss Simi auto

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Chiapa (spelling lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Benelli (sp?)

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Beretta (sp?

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other Pump

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other Simi

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • What's a Shotgun?

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
I voted based on what I consider "my" shotgun to be, at least right now.
Mossberg 500/90 variant. I have a Maverick 88 20" and appreciate it for the tool that it is. I wanted it for defensive purposes, a duty it serves well at home and in the field. Alternating buckshot and slugs should handle any situation I might need it for.
Mav88.jpg
I guess I do have a couple of other shotguns. One's an old side by side 12 ga that was my grandpa's and a Remington 870 20ga that was Dad's. I'm not a bird hunter so they just sit.

I did have an SKB over/under that was a great clay buster. Probably should have kept that one.

View attachment 395729
View attachment 395730
View attachment 395731

20 gauge and has accounted for a few grouse and clay birds.
The bottom is my first gun ...Given to me by my Grandad.
It is a Remington 870 Wingmaster from 1962.
Its also a 20 gauge.
I have taken rabbits , squirrels , grouse , claybirds and many a pesky tin can with this gun.
Thanks to Joe for the "happy" thread...:D
Andy

My 870 is just like your's! Unfortunately I once loaned it to a friend. I thought he was a gun guy. Too bad he wasn't a maintenance guy.
it wasn't quite as nice when it came back. :( Still, it's the first shotgun I shot and it's not going anywhere.

My 870 is just like your's! Unfortunately I once loaned it to a friend. I thought he was a gun guy. Too bad he wasn't a maintenance guy.
it wasn't quite as nice when it came back. :( Still, it's the first shotgun I shot and it's not going anywhere.

Yea, my dad's was covered in surface rust all over when I got it from him - he didn't pass down hunting or shooting, my grandpa did that on my moms side.

No major pitting though so once it was cleaned up it has stayed pretty nice thankfully.

There's no option for anything that goes bango_O I love my Mossberg but I am really thinking that when it comes to shot gun's I'll take anything that goes bang when I want it to. ;)

Mine is a Mossberg 930 Waterfowl. Shoots great, couple hundred trouble free rounds through it so far. A pound heavier than more expensive ones, but hasn't been a problem. Got it from Davidson's last black friday on sale for $249 out the door. In my book that was a great deal.

Not a bad list, You are obviously a man of taste and experiance, I don't know about a SKS shotgun (maby an SKB?) and some Charles Dalys are not good. The name was used as a label for many different shotguns in the later years, many that were not up to his standards. The Prussian ones are the best, you never know what you are going to get with the Spanish examples. I don't do Oriental guns but the quality can be very good. My Superposed Broadway trap locks up like a vault and has been shot a lot since it was built in 1958....off course with the Brownings, you have to be careful with salted wood. L.C. Smith is a world class design and quality gun. Good list.

Yah, Ithaca/SKB, you're so right. My mind is on "assault" weapons I suppose. :rolleyes: I owned three SKB, a 12ga O/U, a 20ga O/U, and a SxS 20ga. Lots of Hun and Quail with the 20ga shottys and a bit of skeet... very fast pointing.

I owned a 12ga 30" full and full Daly/Miroku O/U. Was a great gun for goose. Since I used decoys, I had the bottom barrel taken out to Modified choke.

Salted wood? That sounds interesting.

My best H.S. buddy had an L.C. Smith SxS that was the bomb. He let me shoot it often. I almost didn't want to because it was a collectible but he was using it, soooooo...

All of the shottys I listed I have either owned or shot quite a bit, mostly bird hunting, some wabbit, but also a lot of trap. In my early years I was a shotgun enthusiast. Had built up ownership of about 20 of them, the Rem 31 trap being my first and probably my most sentimental fav, then my divorce cost me all, including 6 rifles and several pistols, to pay for ridiculous lawyer fees in a contested divorce. Arrrrg!!! I have never built back up to that level.

Last Edited:
One of the few times I was seduced by an oriental gun........was an SKB pump (9200?) 12 gauge. It was a great gun, very slick and strong. Definitely a quality gun (also lost it in a divorce). I went through a period about 15 years ago obsessed with LC Smith. They are wonderful......sort of the Packard (car) version of a shotgun. I have a hammer 10 gauge with 32 inch steel barrels in the safe. Should buy some more.....The Remington 31 is a classic. I just bought a 3200 trap gun a few months ago with a broken stock.....400.00. My smith made it look like new for another 100.00. We haven't shot it yet except off the back porch. Kreighoff bought the rights to the M32......the original 3200.....to build there (Krieghoffs) magnificent M32. I like shotguns a lot but they are so versatile I actually have few compared to rifles.

Browning (FN) went through a period that the fine (French?) walnut they used on Gunstocks was in short supply. It takes several years for the wood to cure before it is suitable to make stocks. So some bright thinker....... (I think it was a supplier to FN)..........thought using salt to draw the moisture out of the wood was a good idea. The "salt wood" guns have terrible corrosion trouble. Browning replaced as much wood as they could when the problems started to show up but it was used for several years, damaged guns and guns that still have salt wood are still out there.

My USCG buddy had a 3200. What a fine firearm!!! We busted a lot of clays and a few wabbits. He was mostly a rifle guy and used a shotgun like you would a rifle, point rather than swing. But he was so athletic and gifted with the ability to instinctually compute lead that he did very well with a shotgun.

The Marines tried Mosburgs........until they wore out in a couple of years.....they are back to Remington's. I also wore out my first shotgun beyond repair, another alloy receiver Winchester 1200. It was a wonderful slick gun when I bought it new but was shot in 5 years. The 870 is great (I have 4) My 1100's were great, but you have missed the best guns of all........like Krieghoff, Merkel (I just bought another one), Winchester M12 and 21. The Ithaca M37 is an incredible quality John Browning designed gun as is the A5 and superposed. My A5 was built in 1938 and runs better than anything new.

This man knows his shot guns and lets don't forget the Parker!

In my humble opinion the best field grade shot gun is the light weight A-5 Browning, had a gold trigger and was designated Sweet sixteen or light twelve. I abused one for a life time and re-blued it several times removing once again the rust from hunting fowl over salt water. Thousands of rounds and not a single jamb that I can recall.

View attachment 395750 View attachment 395751 View attachment 395752
This one is kinda fun too.
It's a 12 / .44 shotgun rifle combo...Circa 1850-60
The locks are new and I had to make front and rear sights along with the ramrod for it.
I have shot this one a bit...but no game has fallen to it...yet ( at least for me )
Andy
When you said .44 I had to double check what I was reading. Nice weapon and it reminded me of how long it has been since I have seen a drilling.

When you said .44 I had to double check what I was reading. Nice weapon and it reminded me of how long it has been since I have seen a drilling.
You need to come to my house...........the gun Andy showed is not a drilling but a Cape Gun. Drilling's are a double barrel shotgun with a rifle barrel underneath (usually). Dri is three in German.

Last Edited:
You need to come to my house...........the gun Andy showed is not a drilling but a Cape Gun. Drilling's are a double barrel shotgun with a rifle barrel underneath (usually). Dri is three in German.

Yes I know what a drilling is and have handled many of them, in fact there were quite a number of them around when I was young. I thought at one time I would like to have one but ended up with a light twelve instead. I was about fourteen, worked after school and saved up almost enough to pay cash for it, the few dollars I was short Neal the gunsmith padded the books for me and on the receipt it showed I had traded something of value to make up the difference. Fair trade laws back then did not allow prices set by the manufacturing companies to be adjusted, [ No Discounts]. I did a lot of trading with that shop as the years went on. My dad was there at the time of the sale. You know there wasn't anything but a receipt changed hands in those days.

I learned to shoot with my Dads 870 Wingmaster before becoming a teenager.
I've had one for over 25 years (a 1969 model bought used) and hunted with it religiously but decided to retire it and bought a Stoeger 2000 for waterfowl. While I do love the new gun it came with a learning curve..... hard to not pump a semi auto shotgun since thats all I've ever done.... took 2 seasons to get it right...:p:p:p

Last Edited:
My favorite of all time. I've collected many prizes and many birds shooting this Browning Citori 12ga. It shoots where I am looking:
GunInv2016-Citori1.jpg

But my sentimental favorite is my first real shotgun, the Ithaca 37 20ga made the year I was born. Lethal on doves:
GunInv2016-Ithaca1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads