JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preferred shotgun brand?

• Rem 870 and the like Pump

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Mossburg 500-590 etc Pump

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Rem Simi auto

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Moss Simi auto

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Chiapa (spelling lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Benelli (sp?)

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Beretta (sp?

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other Pump

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other Simi

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • What's a Shotgun?

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
Super simple Poll and something to take everyone's mind off depressing stuff;).

Discuss but please don't argue, everyone will have different opinions and all (well most :p) are valid - j/k:D you like what you like.

Prefer a Mossy 590a1, but current gun is an ex-CHP 870.

As a lefty, Mossberg safety is easier to manipulate, gun is lighter and it's hard to beat 8+1 roinds in the 20" A1.

That said, the 870 is the "AR or 10/22" of the shotgun world, hard to beat for sheer volume of aftermarket support.

I am a fan of the 870, but the 500/590 wins out for me. Would love a 930 semi auto as well. That said, I find both the 870s and the Mossbergs near equals in terms of quality and reliability.

Grew up with a mossburg clone with vented rib (always thought it was a Rem clone but it's a Moss clone, so I have learned more and have more to learn as always:D).

My bird gun is a Jc Higgins made by High Standard and it is one of the nicest actions I've ever held. Has an adjustable choke on it which is very nice for the way I use it.

Had a Chiapa 20ga SxS I loved with double triggers and removable chokes but had to sell it.

Now I also have my Rem 870 police trade in with 20" barrel and 7+1 tube for HD and to take on trips - which I'm loving as much as my bird gun.

Last one I have was passed down from my grandfather on my dad's side and it is a freshly blued Sportsman 11 I believe (I've only shot it once and not really played with it much other then keep it in the back of my other guns).

Now I'm on the hunt for a single shot and a SxS I can afford cuz I love shotguns:cool:

Last Edited:
DSC06557.jpg
DSC06560.jpg
DSC06606.jpg
These two are my favorites that I own.
The top one is a Belgian made Flintlock Fowler circa 1900 or so...
20 gauge and has accounted for a few grouse and clay birds.
The bottom is my first gun ...Given to me by my Grandad.
It is a Remington 870 Wingmaster from 1962.
Its also a 20 gauge.
I have taken rabbits , squirrels , grouse , claybirds and many a pesky tin can with this gun.
Thanks to Joe for the "happy" thread...:D
Andy

Last Edited:
The Marines tried Mosburgs........until they wore out in a couple of years.....they are back to Remington's. I also wore out my first shotgun beyond repair, another alloy receiver Winchester 1200. It was a wonderful slick gun when I bought it new but was shot in 5 years. The 870 is great (I have 4) My 1100's were great, but you have missed the best guns of all........like Krieghoff, Merkel (I just bought another one), Winchester M12 and 21. The Ithaca M37 is an incredible quality John Browning designed gun as is the A5 and superposed. My A5 was built in 1938 and runs better than anything new.

Last Edited:
View attachment 395729
View attachment 395730
View attachment 395731
These two are my favorites that I own.
The top one is a Belgian made Flintlock Fowler circa 1900 or so...
20 gauge and has accounted for a few grouse and clay birds.
The bottom is my first gun ...Given to me by my Grandad.
It is a Remington 870 Wingmaster from 1962.
Its also a 20 gauge.
I have taken rabbits , squirrels , claybirds and many a pesky tin can with this gun.
Thanks to Joe for the "happy" thread...:D
Andy

That 870 is beautiful Andy. What a fine shotgun. I'm so envious.

Prefer a Mossy 590a1, but current gun is an ex-CHP 870.

As a lefty, Mossberg safety is easier to manipulate, gun is lighter and it's hard to beat 8+1 roinds in the 20" A1.

That said, the 870 is the "AR or 10/22" of the shotgun world, hard to beat for sheer volume of aftermarket support.
So....as a fellow south paw, why not a LH 870, a Browning BPS or Ithaca M37.

Grew up with a mossburg clone with vented rib (always thought it was a Rem clone but it's a Moss clone, so I have learned more and have more to learn as always:D).

My bird gun is a Jc Higgins made by High Standard and it is one of the nicest actions I've ever held. Has an adjustable choke on it which is very nice for the way I use it.

Had a Chiapa 20ga SxS I loved with double triggers and removable chokes but had to sell it.

Now I also have my Rem 870 police trade in with 20" barrel and 7+1 tube for HD and to take on trips - which I'm loving as much as bird gun.

Last one I have was passed down from my grandfather on my dad's side and it is a freshly blued Sportsman 11 I believe (I've only shot it once and not really played with it much other then keep it in the back of my other guns).

Now I'm in the hunt for a single shot and a SxS I can afford cuz I love shotguns:cool:

I grew up with a buddy that owned a Mossberg clone, it was called the Maverick 88. Every time he pumped it, he scared all the ducks away. It (the slide/pump) was so loud that they heard it from a mile away....MANY times, I felt like tossing that sob in the river....

Perrazi
Parker
L.C. Smith
Rem 3200
Ruger Red Label
SKS
Charles Daly
Purdey
Browning Superposed
Browning A5
Browning Citori
Ithica 37