JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preferred shotgun brand?

• Rem 870 and the like Pump

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Mossburg 500-590 etc Pump

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Rem Simi auto

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Moss Simi auto

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Chiapa (spelling lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Benelli (sp?)

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Beretta (sp?

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other Pump

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other Simi

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • What's a Shotgun?

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
I shoot right handed pumps and autos fine but my best 870 is left handed. I know some people are sensitive to empty hulls going across there face, I guess I am not. I have a magnificent Remington M17 20 gauge we had restored for my wife. It is built on the John Browning M37 patent (ejects down) before the war. It is a true small frame gun. Weighs less than 6 lbs. Remington also built a large frame 12 gauge version, both for short periods of time. I learned to shoot trap with my 1100 LH TB trap gun. It was nearly flawless over the tens of thousands of rounds I shot through it. We would frequently shoot 400-500 rounds a day 6 days a week.
I have an Ithaca model 37 made in 1947. Works equally well for right or left handed, and keeps the rain out too by loading and ejecting on the bottom.

I have an Ithaca model 37 made in 1947. Works equally well for right or left handed, and keeps the rain out too by loading and ejecting on the bottom.
A great John Browning design...........they even have a kit to reverse the safety making it left handed. 70 years old........it will last another 100.

A great John Browning design...........they even have a kit to reverse the safety making it left handed. 70 years old........it will last another 100.
This one will last that long. My dad bought it when I was born. I got it at 16. The action is so smooth that if you point it vertically and hit the slide release it falls open, but it is not loose at all.

This one will last that long. My dad bought it when I was born. I got it at 16. The action is so smooth that if you point it vertically and hit the slide release it falls open, but it is not loose at all.

That's like my high standard bird and clay gun, tight, smooth and lubed... wait this is about shotguns right:rolleyes:

Just about 1/3 of everything I own seems to be from John Browning:
Browning Citori
Remington 1911
Colt 1903 Pocket Model
Ithaca 37

FD899527-4EFF-41B8-9C0F-2EAB992A87FD.jpeg 46D36AE6-FD70-4A43-AF22-22DAAC892F10.jpeg I spent some time with Val Browning when stationed in UT in the early 80's. Nice man, liked the young Gi's And treated us very well. I wish I had been smarter to ask questions about his dad. They worked together many years. I was wondering if John ever met Paul Mauser. There productive years overlapped and John spent long periods of time in Leige. We spent 10 days there when reicently in Europe. I used to know people at FN when I lived near there in the 70's. I had a superposed shotgun converted to a pigeon grade by one of the engravers that worked at the factory. He would do what the Germans call "Swartz arbite" .........black work.....or work done on there own at home. There is some Browning collector somewhere that can't figure out why that serial number isn't listed as a pigeon grade......it is exactly the same done by the same factory hands but started as a Broadway. I bought my new (to me) Merkel yesterday......... I am very pleased with it although very plain. It is a 26" 12 gauge with ejectors built during the GDR years. Perfect gun for upland work over dogs. It is the smoothest brake action gun I have ever handled and weighs just over 6 lbs. I need to install a pad to both lengthen the stock and tame the recoil. The season is upon us.......good hunting to all.

Benellies made a big splash when they came on the market.........spent a ton of money on promotion and advertising, bought off a lot of gun writers and hunting show hosts. My brother was seduced........his fancy waterfowl gun has been in the safe collecting dust for 5 or 6 years. I know Parts can be a problem......like an Italian car, they are fun when slick and new but if actively used seem to become a maintenance problem. My brother is back to a 1100 12 gauge and an Ithaca Mag 10. Both older and better quality than the Benelli.

Only for sentimental reasons, this Spencer was used by my great-great grandfather to put food on the table. My dad has it now and I'm hoping it someday finds a home in my safe. As far as I know it's mechanically functional but can't fire modern ammo.
IMG_0056.JPG

Only for sentimental reasons, this Spencer was used by my great-great grandfather to put food on the table. My dad has it now and I'm hoping it someday finds a home in my safe. As far as I know it's mechanically functional but can't fire modern ammo.
View attachment 396363
Why no modern ammo? I really don't know of any modern action (pumps etc) that used Damascus steel. I wouldn't shoot anything hot but trap loads should be fine......unless there is some other problem. By the time these more mechanically complex shotguns came out, there was very little black powder ammunition still on the market. My wife's Remington M17 gets the same use as a new gun without any issues as do any Winchester M12 or countless old guns that come to mind. I think the most common shotgun barrel failure has more to do with a mud plug in the barrel (and Damascus steel) than anything else.

Its got a damascus barrel. He had it checked out by a smith who told him not to fire modern ammo. That's really all I know about it. Maybe next time I'm over there I'll get more pics and info and post a little thread.
He came over from Germany in the 1880s with his brothers and my great grandpa was born in the 1890s. Im assuming its of that vintage. Like I said, it was a worker so it took a lot of game. Family lore has it that he was and excellent shot and won many local competitions. Too bad that particular gene didn't make it down to me.

Its got a damascus barrel. He had it checked out by a smith who told him not to fire modern ammo. That's really all I know about it. Maybe next time I'm over there I'll get more pics and info and post a little thread.
He came over from Germany in the 1880s with his brothers and my great grandpa was born in the 1890s. Im assuming its of that vintage. Like I said, it was a worker so it took a lot of game. Family lore has it that he was and excellent shot and won many local competitions. Too bad that particular gene didn't make it down to me.
That is quite an interesting shotgun......(cheated and looked it up)......the first successful pump shotgun. Was made in Windsor California during the time one of my great uncles was a cook at the Hotel there and they did come with Damascus barrels, 2 1/2 inch chamber. Very special stuff.

Benellies made a big splash when they came on the market.........spent a ton of money on promotion and advertising, bought off a lot of gun writers and hunting show hosts. My brother was seduced........his fancy waterfowl gun has been in the safe collecting dust for 5 or 6 years. I know Parts can be a problem......like an Italian car, they are fun when slick and new but if actively used seem to become a maintenance problem. My brother is back to a 1100 12 gauge and an Ithaca Mag 10. Both older and better quality than the Benelli.
A recoil operated gun? That's what first came on the market.
I've only known/heard the opposite.. that they're bulletproof and nothing but the epitome of durable reliability.

A recoil operated gun? That's what first came on the market.
I've only known/heard the opposite.. that they're bulletproof and nothing but the epitome of durable reliability.

yeah... I am sure that 21 militaries around the world chose to issue M4's because they were a "maintenance problem" ?

Users of Benelli M4's

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top