JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Their Board debated having an armed security guard last year and voted it down. I wonder how those who voted it down feel now. They are partly responsible for the deaths of the kids.

Their Board debated having an armed security guard last year and voted it down. I wonder how those who voted it down feel now. They are partly responsible for the deaths of the kids.

They must not feel too bad - they're not lifting the rule that would allow students to carry for their own protection. They don't care. They don't feel. They are dead inside.

They must not feel too bad - they're not lifting the rule that would allow students to carry for their own protection. They don't care. They don't feel. They are dead inside.

It would be interesting to know of the board members that voted no if any of them have a CHL and how long they have had it.

I thought that this was one of the few non-gunfree schools. From what I recall there were a couple of armed students in different buildings, but too concerned to engage.

I thought that this was one of the few non-gunfree schools. From what I recall there were a couple of armed students in different buildings, but too concerned to engage.

There was a school policy prohibiting guns on campus, but state law currently allows you to carry on campus with a CHL. Many people don't know that, they only know what the school tells them - no guns allowed. And don't expect the school to volunteer that information either. Many folks, even CHL holders, don't fully understand their rights with the CHL.

In contrast, recently Chemeketa Community College in Salem made a point of telling all staff and students that concealed carry is allowed on campus. I understand they even went to the trouble of addressing each class, just to make sure everyone is clear on that policy.

There was a school policy prohibiting guns on campus, but state law currently allows you to carry on campus with a CHL. Many people don't know that, they only know what the school tells them - no guns allowed. And don't expect the school to volunteer that information either. Many folks, even CHL holders, don't fully understand their rights with the CHL.
In contrast, recently Chemeketa Community College in Salem made a point of telling all staff and students that concealed carry is allowed on campus. I understand they even went to the trouble of addressing each class, just to make sure everyone is clear on that policy.

Yes this is true, what they did here was discourage it and made it known. I think its how they did it that weighs on me. They said it in a way that it appears as policy. Even UCC president, said in conferences that guns were not allowed on campus and it was school policy yet refused to state whether CHL was allowed when asked many many times. The day of the shooting there was CHL's on campus and two men with CHL's were blocked by teachers and not allowed to engage. The school in my opinion crossed the legal line in many ways leading to deaths.

Yes this is true, what they did here was discourage it and made it known. I think its how they did it that weigh on me. They said it in a way that it appears as policy. Even UCC president, said in conferences that gun were not allowed on campus and was school policy and refused to state whether CHL was allowed when asked many many times. The day of the shooting there was CHL's on campus and two men with CHL's were blocked by teachers and not allowed to engage. The school in my opinion crossed the legal line in many ways leading to deaths.

Amazing that the very places where people are supposed to be educated, they are lied to and misled by the very people that are supposed to educate them. All with the benefit of state and federal funding to back up those lies.

If I had a kid in that school, I'd be in front of that board as well as educating the kids going there on their rights to carry.

The problem with 1 armed deputy is that he cannot be everywhere at any given time. We saw this fail at Marrysville and at Columbine. It's a deterrent at best, and possibly, if the SRO is deeply embedded, meaning knowing his students, he can act proactively - provided the would be shooter is a student. There was one such success story recently. IMHO, you have 2 options: (a) you have a lot more armed people on campus, and keep the attacker guessing (good deterrent), or (b) you fortify and control access like in court houses and federal buildings. Fortification also includes how close you'd permit vehicles driving near the school. Imagine what would happen if someone drove a 50 ton dump truck into there...

Last Edited:
If there isn't a controlled access point with full-on metal detectors to ENSURE my safety, you can safely a$$-u-me that I'm armed regardless of some useless "free-fire zone" sticker/placard posted on a window or wall.

:rolleyes:

Yeah exactly. If they have a "gun free" policy, then it's their responsibility to have full metal detectors and controlled access. BUT... they'd probably like that - they'll somehow magically find the money to pay for the TSA to be at all schools, then they'll be everywhere looking in our pants everywhere we go, low paid half witted dregs of society sticking guns in our face, taking orders from one rotten corrupt cabal or another, making it easy to 'disappear' anyone that is a political dissident. I guess I will take back the controlled access idea, I wouldn't want that - I'd rather have it as it is now then go down that road. The only REAL improvement they can make is to allow students to carry, but they could do so safely such as requiring all guns to be unchambered and for all guns to be hidden from sight and to never leave it on campus (like in a locker). But for schools that have on campus HOUSING, it's a more complicated issue due to the presence of alcohol and the fact that students have easy access to each others' rooms, but maybe a student would be allowed to have a gun if they took a special safety course and had a background check and signed an agreement to keep it either on their body or in a lockbox, a good policy COULD be worked out.

After college president says they do not need guns on the school or armed security...........

"...Douglas County Commissioners have approved a contract with Umpqua Community College to provide law enforcement services for the remainder of the fiscal year...."

Clear evidence the college knows that safety is an issue and chose not to deal with it until after the fact.

Yeah, well said. I recall seeing the interim president at a press conference on TV in early October and she was trying to make it sound like the college had good security - she touted there is "good security" at the school and how there was a security guard and two "supervisors" (not sure whether they supervisors are always on campus or not), and that some staff could also help out in an emergency. Pfffff what a joke. Noone did anything in this emergency except hide in a corner and cower in fear while peeing their pants praying for the police to arrive. Why can't everyone just tell the truth? Why do they always have to LIE? She could have just said that they have inadequate security especially since they discourage students from protecting themselves. But noooo, it's all LIES LIES LIES. I wish someone would invent a lie detector SHOCK COLLAR to put on all of these govt & school officials when they're talking.

I wonder what the security guard was doing anyway, probably just called the police and maybe clicked on his computer to send out a warning message - although their warning system totally failed too, come to think of it, every single thing related to security at that campus was a TOTAL FAIL. lol So much for their unreliable complicated untested unmaintained trendy electronic notification system -- I wonder what that costed them.

Their "lockdown" didn't even work - students were running all over campus, from building to building, even across the wide open grassy fields, to notify each other that there was a shooter on campus. So much for the safety of being in "lockdown" mode. One of the students actually ran past the classroom windows where the murderer was and apparently didn't even realize the murderer was in there. Yet ironically the one guy that had a gun was told to stay put.

Yeah, well said. I recall seeing the interim president at a press conference on TV in early October and she was trying to make it sound like the college had good security - she touted there is "good security" at the school and how there was a security guard and two "supervisors" (not sure whether they supervisors are always on campus or not), and that some staff could also help out in an emergency. Pfffff what a joke. Noone did anything in this emergency except hide in a corner and cower in fear while peeing their pants praying for the police to arrive. Why can't everyone just tell the truth? Why do they always have to LIE? She could have just said that they have inadequate security especially since they discourage students from protecting themselves. But noooo, it's all LIES LIES LIES. I wish someone would invent a lie detector SHOCK COLLAR to put on all of these govt & school officials when they're talking.

I wonder what the security guard was doing anyway, probably just called the police and maybe clicked on his computer to send out a warning message - although their warning system totally failed too, come to think of it, every single thing related to security at that campus was a TOTAL FAIL. lol So much for their unreliable complicated untested unmaintained trendy electronic notification system -- I wonder what that costed them.

Their "lockdown" didn't even work - students were running all over campus, from building to building, even across the wide open grassy fields, to notify each other that there was a shooter on campus. So much for the safety of being in "lockdown" mode. One of the students actually ran past the classroom windows where the murderer was and apparently didn't even realize the murderer was in there. Yet ironically the one guy that had a gun was told to stay put.

Yes , every deterrent they thought would work in the school failed. It not that the deterrents were bad. But if they had these deterrents along with a "pro-gun" not anti-gun policy I am willing to bet the perp would have been dropped before he got a shot off.
The interim Prez and the board oddly on this conservative area are all liberal-antis and atheists.
They have a to push their strict No God No Guns on everything they touch in this community.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top