JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
hey, I want to talk more about abortions and the NFL!

1 - I don't care if you believe abortion is murder, it's hardly political, other than the fact that religion is connected at the hip with politics. I believe religion shouldn't be a part of politics.

2 - the NFL doesn't care if you don't watch it anymore, they'll still be raking in the dough, and can't operate without its athletes, patriotic, disrespectful, or not. They're not professional patriots.

Now that we're back on topic, lets all share our favorite pumpkin pie recipes.

We have had some beheadings in our country too......but the evil leftist press refused to report on them. The common thread with all of them is the Muslim religion. The believer that "killed" his lady co worker in the mid west (can't remember the city) actually beheaded her.....while yelling Ali Akbar.......

we also had a beheading in Estacada this summer, and in Ashland a few years ago.

Anybody who thinks with the right tools they could produce a submachine gun or create a sear for full auto fire in a prefab gun, but knows they'd be in deep doodoo if they did that without licensing, say aye!
My point is, even if they banned guns. A lot of people could still make fully automatic weapons, but only criminals would be doing that. Seems like a poor way to control guns in this country.

I think the issue is that there are too many psychopaths with insane notions that go unchecked by a nonexistent healthcare system.
Maybe we can put another tax on marijuana to raise funds for free BGC's.
I know BGC's aren't popular around here, but you'd have a whole lot less to complain about if all the paper work was free. Admittedly, I'm not happy about the fees either, but I like some sort of regulation in this regard.

It's stupid that some 60 people die and another hundred or so wounded results in political squabbling while the bodies are still warm... show some tact people.
Drink a beer and light a candle for the victims. My condolences to those effected.

Well the headline is true. There's nothing non-factual about that headline. These massive mass shooting attacks are unpreventable, in the only nation in the world where this is an extremely regular occurrence.

Today 3 were killed and 2 wounded in a mass shooting in Kansas. Barely makes a footnote though. It's the tiny mass-shootings that kill the most even if they barely garner any attention.
What do you propose as a remedy? If it has anything to do with prohibiting gun ownership it's a non-starter. That's not the problem.

Considering that up until now EVERY instance of this that is not attributable to terrorism has involved a deranged individual that everybody KNEW was dangerous. That problem could be solved by putting in place an extensive system of emergency mental health facilities. These would be inpatient facilities where people could get treatment for acute episodes, so that instead of deranged people walking the streets with a pocket full of pills and no supervision, they could be kept under lock and key until the problem is taken care of.

The other change we could make is to our survival of the fittest economy, where there are affluent and wealthy winners and hopeless losers. Those hopeless losers in many cases become suicidal, and also easy targets for terrorist recruiting.

What do you propose as a remedy? If it has anything to do with prohibiting gun ownership it's a non-starter. That's not the problem.

Considering that up until now EVERY instance of this that is not attributable to terrorism has involved a deranged individual that everybody KNEW was dangerous. That problem could be solved by putting in place an extensive system of emergency mental health facilities. These would be inpatient facilities where people could get treatment for acute episodes, so that instead of deranged people walking the streets with a pocket full of pills and no supervision, they could be kept under lock and key until the problem is taken care of.

The other change we could make is to our survival of the fittest economy, where there are affluent and wealthy winners and hopeless losers. Those hopeless losers in many cases become suicidal, and also easy targets for terrorist recruiting.
If you're ever on my ballot, you're getting my vote!

With few exception, I've never cared for nor followed Country music, so I never heard of this guy. And Rosanne Cash saying the NRA "fund(s) domestic terrorism" is just brainless.

Just throwing something in here that is slightly relevant to the exchange of opinions: People can't even solve the homeless crisis and get those folks in need of mental help fixed up. In Portland, what are we talking about - maybe 3,000 people? (wild guess) I sincerely doubt that anyone is going to come up with money or expertise to do mental evaluations on would-be gun purchasers nation wide.

I don't have all the answers. Some attacks are impossible to stop. But I find it curious that we have these mass-shootings over and over again.

I also find it curious that when some Muslim guy tried to blow up a plane using a shoe bomb, we as a society decided we should all remove our shoes prior to entering jet liners, but mass shootings we're absolutely dumbfounded for answers on how to stop these. I guess it goes without saying that shoe bombs are a lot more offensive to our society than massive high casualty count shootings.

Hell we have them all the time if you count the little ones that only kill 3 people. Those little ones actually kill far combined, than the big ones that pop up once a year or so.

What do you want? Status quo? We'll probably get that. Nothing will change. And we can both agree that not far down the road, we'll have another giant mass shooting similar to this one, just a different location, venue, and casualty count, and both sides will recycle the same old arguments from the previous one and the status quo supporters will prevail again.

Tobacco killed almost 1/2 million last year. 45,000 was from second hand smoke. That's around 1,315 deaths a day.
Where's the hue and cry about those figures.

Last Edited:
Tobacco killed almost 1/2 a million last year. 45,000 was from second hand smoke. That's around 1,315 deaths a day.
Where's the hue and cry about those figures.

None of these folks really care about deaths - if they did, tobacco would be public enemy #1 - but it generates far too much tax revenue - so it gets a pass, killing 500,000 Americans every year - according to the government's own CDC stats!!

No, this has never been about saving lives. This is about control - control of the American people by taking away the one thing they can use to keep the government in check. And here we are with folks even on this forum, even in this thread, saying that's the way to go. WTF is happening to this country?

Without digressing much...
I live under a rock, but I installed a wide window...
Part of the problem has been that we in Portland establish facilities and programs to assist those individuals which is adequate for the current population. A couple years later a bunch of people with similar needs catch wind and move here. The population grows and the previous accomodations become insufficient. I blame the places that are willing to do nothing for those problems here.
I'm not saying target people specifically based upon their desire to acquire firearms. I'm saying all citizens should be required to have periodic mental health evaluations.
Yeah, it's complicated and will take some effort to get it right. Probably making some errors and repeals along the way. It's just how the social experiment of government is.
We could get some funds from a prostitution tax... just saying!

Again, I think we should be holding vigils more than talking politics here... i'm just a sucker for it.

You can thank the ALCU. For that problem.......they are the ones that sued Gov Regan and made him empty the state hospitals.
Just throwing something in here that is slightly relevant to the exchange of opinions: People can't even solve the homeless crisis and get those folks in need of mental help fixed up. In Portland, what are we talking about - maybe 3,000 people? (wild guess) I sincerely doubt that anyone is going to come up with money or expertise to do mental evaluations on would-be gun purchasers nation wide.
the homeless problem has been solved many times through out history...... you have to quit feeding them. Hunger is the ultimate motivator. Cold is good motivator too.......my late Dad always prayed for a bad winter to chase the Californians and street people Home. The real problem with homelessness as we all know is drugs (including alcohol) and mental illness. There are some regular people that have homeless problems, but those are short term temporary issues that are easily delt with. Another issue that is exacerbated by liberal ideas and polotics. I am amused by this trend towards legalization of marijuana. Colorado made 13 million dollars taxing pot sales.......but couldn't figure out why there social services costs went up 30 million........

I'm not proposing a ban at all. I'm saying that if you already know ahead of time that a guy is going to commit a 600 casualty shooting, he should not be allowed the hardware to do that. You know what, go ahead and call it a ban. Let's call it a ban on terrorists having these weapons, which is pretty common sense. We don't allow felons to own firearms, but mass shooters is ok? Just doesn't make sense to me.

So, you also agree we should ban trucks, fertilizer, knives, gasoline, poisons (like the sarin gas used in Japan), pressure cookers, matches, pretty much anything that could be weaponized??? Using your own reasoning, we already know people will run over people with trucks, so it only makes sense to ban them, right? We already know people will use knives to kill other people, so using your reasoning, we should ban them too, right?

Why don't we just ban everything that makes this world unsafe?? Will that really solve the problem? I really don't get how you can claim to be pro-gun and pro-small government yet the only solution you can think to offer is to restrict the rights of your fellow Americans because the occasional lunatic goes off his nut?

I've got news for you - you can't stop evil people from doing evil things. Remove one tool, they absolutely will find another. You're trying to solve a problem of the heart and the head by looking anywhere but the heart and the head.

Might also be news to you that bad people don't follow laws. Restrict access to guns and accessories, and the bad guys will still get them. This is already been proven to be true. The only folks that are hamstrung under your fictional safe-space anti-gun utopia are the law-abiding folks that would actually follow the laws - though they aren't the ones to be worried about.

When Chicago's handgun ban got repealed I fully expected the murder rate in Chicago to drop off precipitously. I mean believe me, the residents of Chicago did go out and buy lots of handguns. But the murder rate didn't go down dramatically in spite of that.

Shicago needs to be nuked. It's as simple as that.

I'm not saying target people specifically based upon their desire to acquire firearms. I'm saying all citizens should be required to have periodic mental health evaluations..
Me too. Specifically, I'm working to get the MSDS to include a diagnosis whereby if one lives in Portland, they are mentally ill and should be precluded from voting.

not really

I don't have all the answers. Some attacks are impossible to stop. But I find it curious that we have these mass-shootings over and over again.

I also find it curious that when some Muslim guy tried to blow up a plane using a shoe bomb, we as a society decided we should all remove our shoes prior to entering jet liners, but mass shootings we're absolutely dumbfounded for answers on how to stop these.

What do you want? Status quo? We'll probably get that. Nothing will change.

Sept. 11, shoe bombing, anthrax - that was a long time ago now. Six years before the first iPhone came out. The impact of 911 on the US Economy was devastating. Thousands of dead. A full scale military response was required. My dad almost went out of business, his retirement was deferred another 10 years. That's why people take their shoes off. Not even close to the same thing.

The mental health based background check is just one more piece of misdirected and dangerous legislation. Let me clearly state that I don't want guns (or any weapons) in the hands of "crazy" people. Here's the problem though; who decides who's crazy?

Status

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top