JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Army has a rule on the range- train how you fight. when I go to the range to put some rounds though my concealed pistol, I wear what I would in the general public... I shoot in jeans and t-shirt/hoodie because I will most likely get in to a gun fight with that kind of clothing on... Not in camo clothing.

The problem is that now we have people that have lived their lives learning about firearms from whatever video game is hip at the time. I am aware of those that rank firearms by "tiers". I believe that to be something derived from a video game. I'm not sure which game it was, but the price of Colt Python's(already expensive) went through the roof after they were "immortalized" by this video game.

Here is my opinion based on nothing but my own experience. Were I to be standing guard at a fixed location, combat gear and body armor may be well worth while. Since I am not a current member of a branch of military or police force, I don't think I will be in such a position soon. Most that wear these items to the range have never worn them in a beating, relentless sun or while going up or down steep terrain. I would much rather be in my standard, comfortable clothing in a real world situation.

For me, body armor is for the home. That's where it is most useful. On the move, I want to be as light and quick as possible. Kip.

I would think the last kind of clothes I'd want to wear at the range would be camo. I want to be seen downrange checking targets and the like. I saw one guy wearing a road workers neon green vest once - can't blame him really.

I would think the last kind of clothes I'd want to wear at the range would be camo. I want to be seen downrange checking targets and the like. I saw one guy wearing a road workers neon green vest once - can't blame him really.

When I lived in the country and we would cutting tree or brush and stuff and there was a bunch of us, we always wore bright colored shirts, we did not want to hit by a tractor brush or logs being pulled by a tractor a falling tree, you comment makes sense to me, but people think I am 1/2 crazy so my support will not help you much

This will one of the few times I will actually express open-mindedness, with regard to the 'Mall Ninja' clothing issue. Hopefully it is nothing more than a harmless display, possibly those acting out on a fantasy, kind of like CAS shooters, or as we were as kids - remember playing 'Cowboys and Indians' or dressing up as soldiers with hand me down fatigues or whatever we could find? However if there is another issue such as trying to intimidate, instill fear, or trying to live vicariously through someone or something they could not be then it might be a problem - especially when real guns are involved.

While I chuckle and shake my head at the paramilitary wannabees I see at the gunrange, "Dressing Up" for gun-related events is something that I must confess I participate in. Having been raised going to gunshows with my father, I came to learn that gunshows in Montana are second only to Church as an event which one honors by wearing one's "best". To this day, at a Montana gun show, you will see the buckskin jackets, beaver vests, bolo ties, Stetson hats and Tony Lama boots worn by not only the exhibitors (term of dual purpose here, I guess), but also the attendees. Some of the outfits approach or achieve costume level. Regular day-to-day clothing simply does not fill the bill if you are a true gunshow afficionado.

I also have been known to sport special clothing when I attend an event such as a Prairie Dog Shoot:
P6030078.jpg

P6030080.jpg

Ninja schminja. I'm gonna retire (again) in a couple years and move out of the city. To a house with a hill behind it. A remote house with a hill behind it. Then my shooting attire will more often than not be boxers, mud boots, a flannel jacket and some earmuffs. 20 feet from the back door. Just 'cause I can.

I always wear camo BDU type pants when not at work. Most comfortable pants ever, plenty of pockets, and almost indestructable. Never thought anything of it, until this post. I don't think i'll change my preferences, so if you see a guy at Tri-County in BDUs shooting milsurp, come say hello.

I also have been known to sport special clothing when I attend an event such as a Prairie Dog Shoot:
P6030078.jpg

P6030080.jpg

Man were can I get that shirt?

back to the tread

Normal range attire for me is my everyday clothes aka jeans and a tee shirt. I only wear gear such as plate carriers chest rigs, gloves and knee pads when I am going to train with them for there use.

When out training I usually avoid shirts with pockets (They snag) and jeans with a tighter inseam (hinders kneeling).
I also wear boots and cargo pants because half the time I'm setting up out in the forrest.
I will tryout different mag placement methods as well as dump pouch methods I've been wanting to try. But as for vests and all that rambo jazz.. yeah.. not for me. I do keep a rather large survival knife on my person because if I did happen to use all my ammo while training from not only my primary but my secondary firearm I at least want to have something I can throw/thrust with if need be.. I guess that would be the biggest "odd" thing one would see me wearing while in the woods.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top