JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pistol on the hip would be faster than grabbing the long gun even if it was chambered.
According to some people a pistol is a "crap shoot" which doesn't make sense to me. Especially when it the primary firearm of most LEOs and civilians. There are plenty of people both LE and civilian who are surgical and very efficient with a pistol.

According to some people a pistol is a "crap shoot" which doesn't make sense to me. Especially when it the primary firearm of most LEOs and civilians. There are plenty of people both LE and civilian who are surgical and very efficient with a pistol.
According to some people a pistol is a "crap shoot" which doesn't make sense to me. Especially when it is the primary firearm of most LEOs and civilians. There are plenty of people both LE and civilian who are surgical and very efficient with a pistol.
Base to Echo 1, base to Echo 1...

Come in, over...

^^^Agreed.
However, who said anything about discarding the sidearm. The long gun is for people that plan ahead. Kind of like a fire extinguisher.

The argument was "the seconds chambering a round could make the difference" - even if I had a loaded SBR on the passenger seat of my car, if a threat appeared that I needed to shoot, it would still be faster to grab my pistol on my hip, or appendix, out of my holster and deal with the threat than to grab SBR on passenger seat and deal with threat.

I support the right and the premise, the reality and efficiency of movement is where the "what if" scenario starts to lose steam.

So in an active shooter scenario is your mindset to get back to your rig, grab said rifle, and then reenter the red zone in an attempt to nuetralize the threat? I don't have a "truck gun" and probably never will I am simply curious as to your thought process.

Rule one have a gun. So...

Truck gun? Yep and a office gun, a behind the front door gun, a bedroom gun, a carry gun, a back up gun, safe space guns, a briefcase gun, rally point guns, shop gun and cameras everywhere... Tiger pits... Trip wire perimeter alarms...

Na just kidding.

I know. This isn't a joking matter I get that. I truly do feel for the families of all involved.

At least the good Samaritan's family knows that their family produced a hero with more courage than the Cop at Parkland had.

Greater love hath no man.

More guns in the hands of trained folks may have saved lives. It appears that the Pros knew this guy was problematic. I really can't
say much more until we have more info.

I know that those who don't have the 'Standby and Watch Folks Die Gene' will regret for the rest of their days not being armed on a day like yesterday.

Last Edited:
A 19 year old is not a kid. A 19 may struggle but they should already know right from wrong.

By the time I was 19, I had already qualified on the 1911 and M16 and finished Electronic Technicians school in the Navy.

Maybe we should have compulsory service, at least then all young adults leaving high school would get the screening they need and those that need help can then get on the path.

+ then we can implement "Service equals Citizenship"

We had to reinforce the floor in our office to accommodate all the extra weight from employees packing their gats to work. My bosses are very pro 2A.

-E-

Notice how all of these incidents are involving ARs all of the sudden when in the past they were almost always hand guns?
Perhaps that's at least partly due to the media insisting "that's how it's done"?

Recently in another thread a few members were asking why anybody "needed" and ar pistol. Maybe they would like to join this conversation.
Indeed. I believe it was Cooper who said "A handgun is what you use to fight your way to your rifle.".

I would think that combat veterans, experienced hunters, and those with some formal training would fare far better than someone like myself.
Dad was like this - A childhood of hunting to put meat on the table, followed by the USMC, followed by more hunting, made him eerily good at dropping a moving target of opportunity from odd angles and shooting positions. But I could do better at the range. Out hunting he would have it dropped before I'd decided what to do.

Similarly, I was in a LGS one day when a lady cop brought her Glock in for repair because it would not function. After a cursory inspection the gunsmith asked her if she had ever cleaned it. She said no. He explained the necessity of periodically cleaning one's firearm, sold her a can of Gun Scrubber, and sent her on her way.
Well, at least she was shooting it. Enough crud to stop a Glock is a lot of shooting IME.

All of this can be equated to the breakdown of families and the lack of parenting. Kids are no longer being taught anything but "your special" and "victim hood." Conflict resolution without a bullet is lost in the past.
I noted with interest the father was not quoted in any articles I read.

Pistol on the hip would be faster than grabbing the long gun even if it was chambered.
Well of course, and completely agree and thought this was a given. I just like having options and the right tool for the right job. I may want my pew pew, or I may want my PEW PEW. Not sure if you and I disagree on this but you previous response to me was something about "you can keep a mag close by your long gun", which I think is BS, not too interested in that crap to be honest, sounds like an argument a "common sense gun laws" advocate would make.

Well of course, and completely agree and thought this was a given. I just like having options and the right tool for the right job. I may want my pew pew, or I may want my PEW PEW. Not sure if you and I disagree on this but you previous response to me was something about "you can keep a mag close by your long gun", which I think is BS, not too interested in that crap to be honest, sounds like an argument a "common sense gun laws" advocate would make.

All gun laws are infringements, but if you care about following the law, that would be the alternative.

The argument was "the seconds chambering a round could make the difference" - even if I had a loaded SBR on the passenger seat of my car, if a threat appeared that I needed to shoot, it would still be faster to grab my pistol on my hip, or appendix, out of my holster and deal with the threat than to grab SBR on passenger seat and deal with threat.

I support the right and the premise, the reality and efficiency of movement is where the "what if" scenario starts to lose steam.
YOUR argument is about seconds. Mine is about options.

I NEVER said to forego the pistol for the long gun. I am not trying to convince anyone that a truck gun will beat a pistol on the hip in terms of speed.

A truck gun makes sense if you survive long enough to have choices. A lot of people do not plan past lunchtime, so I get your POV.

I am solidly in the 'take more than you need' camp. My dad always taught me to take more clothes than I need. I can always take off a layer, but I cannot wear what I do not have with me.

I NEVER said to forego the pistol for the long gun. I am not trying to convince anyone that a truck gun will beat a pistol on the hip in terms of speed.

A truck gun makes sense if you survive long enough to have choices. A lot of people do not plan past lunchtime, so I get your POV.

I am solidly in the 'take more than you need' camp. My dad always taught me to take more clothes than I need. I can always take off a layer, but I cannot wear what I do not have with me.

We all know rule # 2 is a rule because its wise.

2 is 1. 1 is none.

It seems like you missed part of the thread and hyper focused on this part while lacking some of the context.

My argument was never about seconds, what you quoted was where I was paraphrasing what someone suggested as why they felt not having a chambered rifle with them in the car was a problem as opposed to the mag sitting next to it (legal) was because of the wasted seconds to insert mag and rack the CH.

I asserted that if time is that crunched, the sidearm would have been faster than grabbing the rifle off the passenger seat, even if it was chambered.

Everyone can chill out :) There's nothing wrong with feeling like you want to have the carbine as a riding buddy. For example: when my wife was stuck downtown when cars were on fire and people were acting nuts, the bus she would have normally been able to get home on stopped running. Guess what I did, had her walk in the opposite direction of the problem and I went down and picked her up, wearing a low profile PC under a sweatshirt, plates, and with my 10.5 pistol (because that's covered by the CPL) and my regular carry piece. Why? Because of course I wanted options, even though if I had an issue the pistol would have for many reasons been the better responder until I exited the vehicle.

Long story short, I was able to retrieve her without issue because you guys didn't see a national news story.

Again: Freedom on fellow Americans, but responding to threats from a vehicle, as the driver, is better with a pistol, if you get out of the vehicle, yeah, bring the rifle with you if it would help.

It seems like you missed part of the thread and hyper focused on this part while lacking some of the context.

My argument was never about seconds, what you quoted was where I was paraphrasing what someone suggested as why they felt not having a chambered rifle with them in the car was a problem as opposed to the mag sitting next to it (legal) was because of the wasted seconds to insert mag and rack the CH.

I asserted that if time is that crunched, the sidearm would have been faster than grabbing the rifle off the passenger seat, even if it was chambered.

Everyone can chill out :) There's nothing wrong with feeling like you want to have the carbine as a riding buddy. For example: when my wife was stuck downtown when cars were on fire and people were acting nuts, the bus she would have normally been able to get home on stopped running. Guess what I did, had her walk in the opposite direction of the problem and I went down and picked her up, wearing a low profile PC under a sweatshirt, plates, and with my 10.5 pistol (because that's covered by the CPL) and my regular carry piece. Why? Because of course I wanted options, even though if I had an issue the pistol would have for many reasons been the better responder until I exited the vehicle.

Long story short, I was able to retrieve her without issue because you guys didn't see a national news story.

Again: Freedom on fellow Americans, but responding to threats from a vehicle, as the driver, is better with a pistol, if you get out of the vehicle, yeah, bring the rifle with you if it would help.
Has anyone walked away from a gun fight and said "You know I think I brought too many guns, and way too much ammo"?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top