JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thinking about this it seems I once started to seat bullets into some 9mm cases that were sized - but not expanded or flared!

If I recall they felt 'funny' while being seated and after a few I realized the error!

I have to admit…..
Bought some projectiles from someone as advertised 240 grn. 2 different types

Worked up my plans on paper, dumped powder and starting seating….. 7 rounds into first run…. I thought a 240 looked much much smaller than new factory box of 265 grns…. Given the 265 were plastic tipped (basically hollow points) I decided to weigh the others.

Actual….200grn and the other 225grn

Thankfully it wasn't too far off and the first run will be within range…. Key…. Safe.
So adjusted my paper plans and it'll all work out. No I'll feelings for seller….

My lesson is weigh everything until I'm confident….especially the one off component purchases….

Anyway my mistake that I noticed today.

Luckily the worst mistake I've made was dropping some primers while trying to load them on the tray. I was lucky that none of them detonated, and still functioned after seating them.
Why would you think that they would detonate by just dropping them on the floor?
The story of my life about dropping primers on the floor as I know there was 88 that are missing out of the pack but I only found 80, them damn things are expensive nowadays.

I have to admit…..
Bought some projectiles from someone as advertised 240 grn. 2 different types

Worked up my plans on paper, dumped powder and starting seating….. 7 rounds into first run…. I thought a 240 looked much much smaller than new factory box of 265 grns…. Given the 265 were plastic tipped (basically hollow points) I decided to weigh the others.

Actual….200grn and the other 225grn

Thankfully it wasn't too far off and the first run will be within range…. Key…. Safe.
So adjusted my paper plans and it'll all work out. No I'll feelings for seller….

My lesson is weigh everything until I'm confident….especially the one off component purchases….

Anyway my mistake that I noticed today.
It's only a mistake if you leave it and it is witnessed by someone else, if you catch it it's not a mistake it's only just a FUBAR. :p
Words to live by from Caveman Jim

Why would you think that they would detonate by just dropping them on the floor?
The story of my life about dropping primers on the floor as I know there was 88 that are missing out of the pack but I only found 80, them damn things are expensive nowadays.
My wife once detonated a lost primer with the vacuum cleaner.
This was a long time ago with those vacuums where you replaced the paper bag in. It was smoldering, and I had to unzip and dispose of it pronto.
(She was not happy)

My wife once detonated a lost primer with the vacuum cleaner.
This was a long time ago with those vacuums where you replaced the paper bag in. It was smoldering, and I had to unzip and dispose of it pronto.
(She was not happy)
Glad you caught in time, but that is pretty funny otherwise.

Luckily the worst mistake I've made was dropping some primers while trying to load them on the tray. I was lucky that none of them detonated, and still functioned after seating them.
Over the years, (too many to count) I have punched out live primers, had them try to seat sideways, dropped them on a cement floor, vaccuumed them up, etc. and I have yet to have one detinate with out a solid blow from a fireing pin. :)

Just be gentle and don't force them. ;)

Your turn Flopsweat... :rolleyes:

Glad you caught in time, but that is pretty funny otherwise.
It was in the dead of winter and I normally reloaded in the detached garage. Had a radiant propane heater, but decided it wasn't a good idea.
So dragged the bench in the living room and dumped a open tray of primers on the carpet.
When she detonated the primer(s) with the vacuum, she cussed, and kept vacuuming. Then the burning vacuum bag started stinking up the whole house.

It was in the dead of winter and I normally reloaded in the detached garage. Had a radiant propane heater, but decided it wasn't a good idea.
So dragged the bench in the living room and dumped a open tray of primers on the carpet.
When she detonated the primer(s) with the vacuum, she cussed, and kept vacuuming. Then the burning vacuum bag started stinking up the whole house.
OK. I can see that. She was using an upright vacuum with a beater bar. I have had rocks go round and round inside one of those and often spit them out. I use a shop vac. ;)

Over the years, (too many to count) I have punched out live primers, had them try to seat sideways, dropped them on a cement floor, vaccuumed them up, etc. and I have yet to have one detinate with out a solid blow from a fireing pin. :)

Just be gentle and don't force them. ;)

Your turn Flopsweat... :rolleyes:
You can force them, but you should get consent first.

Didn't take that long to go down hill. :rolleyes:
After 737 posts I figure any and all possible mistakes to make when "Reloading" have to have been made, and posted, by now. A little drift adds to entertainment value. Entertainment value is a good thing, in my book. :D

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top