JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yesterday I took a bunch of .308 ammo to the range for load testing. I had loaded 5 rds. each of six different powder charges, ranging form 42.0 gr. to 43.0 in .2 grain increments. The loads were all in a 50 rd. box, with the first of 5 marked with the charge weight. As I moved around on the mat, I dumped the box over. So, I had only 6 rounds that were marked, all the rest were a mixed up mess.

Glad I have a collet puller....
It pays to buy stock in Sharpie.
Some mark the head with colored markers.
I could post a lot of pics but I won't bore y'all.
Did I mention that I love load developments? ;)

BB287E39-A2E5-4786-8A4B-0A851F19E40C.jpeg 6F3B864D-803E-40AA-8D42-93B5059A7C8D.jpeg 0E44EDD6-7390-4907-93CF-630548614CEB.jpeg E769207E-472E-4A7B-A34C-1938982B37B1.jpeg 8737BE3E-9133-4517-AF24-440D9EA700B0.jpeg

After once dumping a tray full of unmarked reloads, I have always written on each case or color marked the head. Usually I just write the load on the case like @Caveman Jim.

If I'm testing different powders I use a different color for each powder.

At least my "dump disaster" was at the bench, so I didn't waste a trip to the range.

You'll pop it when you deprime it… maybe not.
Use a 10' string tied to the handle. :p
Ive removed enough normal primers I dont worry about it but this one gives me concern.
Months ago I felt something funny, couldnt get the case out of the hand primer.... So I finished it. It went in sideways, and fully crushed it and deformed the primer badly. Never went off.

Maybe i should just throw this one away.

Slow and easy, it should come right out. I've deprimed upside down primers before, never had one go off.

Doesn't mean it can't happen, of course, so reasonable precautions are always warranted.

Ive removed enough normal primers I dont worry about it but this one gives me concern.
Months ago I felt something funny, couldnt get the case out of the hand primer.... So I finished it. It went in sideways, and fully crushed it and deformed the primer badly. Never went off.

Think of your depriming pin as a firing pin.
Go slowly and it should come out without a bang. I've recently had some berdan primers go off on me while deactivate cases for my cartridge display. Scared the poop out of me each time.

Go slow and you can still use the primer (assuming you put it in the correct way next time! 😏).

As long as the priming pellet is not crushed you are good to go.

Ask me how I know this. 🙄

I don't think I'd sweat depriming it, but if I was going to throw it away I'd smash it with a big hammer first. :)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top