JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Decided to experiment, based on information from the most trustworthy internet, by loading 9mm with small rifle primers. Was careful to use minimum powder (Titegroup) to avoid excess pressure. Tried firing through very dependable Colt Target 1911. Two of three rounds fired. Primer dimple was equal in appearance on those that fired and those that didn't. Glad I only loaded a few. Probably not going to pull bullets, but done with that experiment. Did understand in advance that metal hardness might be an issue. Not one to take chances, most of the time.

Decided to experiment, based on information from the most trustworthy internet, by loading 9mm with small rifle primers. Was careful to use minimum powder (Titegroup) to avoid excess pressure. Tried firing through very dependable Colt Target 1911. Two of three rounds fired. Primer dimple was equal in appearance on those that fired and those that didn't. Glad I only loaded a few. Probably not going to pull bullets, but done with that experiment. Did understand in advance that metal hardness might be an issue. Not one to take chances, most of the time.
Sorry I have a million questions but just a couple

2 rounds?
What powder charge…?

Did you have any rim stretch, split cases or any sign of danger?

I haven't tried but will to eventually. It would be kinda unlikely to have an empty powder charge 1 in 3 rounds but I'd pull it see if anything burned.

Sorry I have a million questions but just a couple

2 rounds?
What powder charge…?

Did you have any rim stretch, split cases or any sign of danger?

I haven't tried but will to eventually. It would be kinda unlikely to have an empty powder charge 1 in 3 rounds but I'd pull it see if anything burned.
I will add a couple more questions: which primers? Was your pistol "tuned " to have a lighter trigger pull?

Unknown about trigger job. Bought from Cabela's gun library. Two brands of primers: CCI Small Rifle and Winchester. Bullets; Berry's 125 and Galant 125. Titegroup 3.8 grain.

Have tried with a Smith M&P, I recall same results. Those that fired cycled the semi auto, the brass appeared normal. Disposed of misfires so can't pull, but there was no evidence of bullet movement. Observation showed same length as others, but that was visual and not measured with calipers.

I remain curious and will take some back to the range. Be aware I am not giving advice and include a warning to not attempt.

Unknown about trigger job. Bought from Cabela's gun library. Two brands of primers: CCI Small Rifle and Winchester. Bullets; Berry's 125 and Galant 125. Titegroup 3.8 grain.

Have tried with a Smith M&P, I recall same results. Those that fired cycled the semi auto, the brass appeared normal. Disposed of misfires so can't pull, but there was no evidence of bullet movement. Observation showed same length as others, but that was visual and not measured with calipers.

I remain curious and will take some back to the range. Be aware I am not giving advice and include a warning to not attempt.
Understood for sure. Thx
I don't know the intricacies of primers. But there has to be a reason……
I'd just imagine if under powered it wouldn't ignite charge…. Or if overpowered it'll pop bullet forward before getting proper combustion pressures.

I appreciate the insight on primer cup thickness…. I'm sure it's easy homework.. but I like interacting here too. THX

I've been using nothing but small rifle primers of various makes to include magnum in all my pistols for many years now. Never had a failure to fire.
Oh and to add edit: for whatever reason, I've always seated primers quite firmly with whatever machine I'm using.

Last Edited:
I use an RCBS handheld to seat primers. Don't treat them lightly. General process includes tumbling brass with stainless pins, results in a clean primer pocket.

I use an RCBS handheld to seat primers. Don't treat them lightly. General process includes tumbling brass with stainless pins, results in a clean primer pocket.
After seeing that absolutely flattened primers work perfectly in 30-06 brass that I hadn't removed the primer crimp adequately from many decades ago the main thing I do when seating primers is to not seat them gently.. to put it mildly.

After seeing that absolutely flattened primers work perfectly in 30-06 brass that I hadn't removed the primer crimp adequately from many decades ago the main thing I do when seating primers is to not seat them gently.. to put it mildly.
Me neither CD, that's why I got the biggest/baddest primer installer with the most leverage any man ever seen.

8F27220B-A552-43A1-B9E5-DA46C46BDA63.jpeg

A punch and hammer will assure you they're fully seated.

I've had a few more in the past 30 years but these are the ones I keep on my bench. Just as reminders.
Bottom up:
300blk - powder cop die fail
7-08 - minor setting tension issue
308 - neck size only and it too was a bit tight.
7mm RM - yup Same problem. View attachment 652579
I was setting up a set of Lee rifle dies and didn't back off the crimp feature of the seating die because I was going to use the factory crimp die instead. It tried to crimp the case before the bullet was seated and crushed the shoulder like the pictures above.

Oh geez damnit, OK OK, I will confess something stupid. In the 10 to 15 thousand .223/5.56 bullets I've loaded, I've had maybe two that didn't go bang. Until a couple of years ago. I was up shooting along Gooseneck road with an AR. I was hand feeding the 30 round Lancer mags pulling ammo out of a 30 cal. ammo can. I'd fired about a hundred rounds when I gently squeezed the stock military trigger...nothing. I ejected unfired case and rammed another home and squeezed, nothing. This doesn't happen to me damnit. Twice more this happened, four times in a row! I put the rounds in my truck after my shooting session and took them home. Pulled the bullets on all 4 and found the primers had ignited, but it seemed like there was no powder in the cases. No light primer strikes, no split cases, just black soot from the primer. No problems with any remaining cartridges from that batch.

I've loaded thousands before and thousands since, with no misfires. What are the odds of randomly getting the only 4 cases without powder, in a row? Phenomenal I would think. It'll (probably) never happen again!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top