JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Losing some weight might help.

Im working on it. I am 5'11" and this morning 232- down 10 pounds from where I started. I am 70 pounds heaver than when I got married, I gained 25 pounds in the 3 years after my son died.

If I could drop another 30-40 pounds none of this would be a real problem- My goal is 50 pounds total which would put me at 190

I was just being a smart azz with that post.
I'm one of those skinny guys that couldn't gain weight if my life depended on it.
I have a very good friend from high school that has been battling a weight problem all of his life and it just drives him nuts that I still weigh the same 159 lbs.

Its not easy, at my heaviest I was pushing 270. I have lost and gained the 100 pounds between 170 and 270 half a dozen times in my life. The older I have got the harder its become to keep it reasonable. In order for me to stay sub 200 I basically have to eat one piece of lettuce once a day and drink only water. As it is I eat two eggs for breakfast, a bag of carrots and celery for lunch and a small serving of meat for dinner, someplace around 1200 calories (about a third of what the average American eats) and I am lucky If I can drop a half pound a week. Also keep in mind I am physical all day every day. I am on my feet moving steel. I dont even have a desk at the shop. I started riding my bike on short trips several times a day to try and boost movement a little more. My dad is 350 and has been over 300 since his late 30's, my mom is at least 275, my little brother who is 5' 8" probably out weighs me by 20-30 pounds even though is is 3" shorter. We have all put effort into trying to not be fat and its amazing how much of a struggle and failure it has been.

Guys like you that can eat everything and stay at 160# really chap my hinie, Not that I blame you, its just a genetic lottery but being overweight is a mental and physical burden that has a huge impact on your quality of life. In my early 30's I got down to 170 pounds. It took 2 years of basically eating nothing but after weighing 260-270 through much of my 20's I felt a freakin super hero, jumping out and down off stuff and running around you take for granted, You dont do much of that when you are 100+ pounds over weight.

You've seen me, I'm 5'9" and 205. I too have put on 50lbs since getting married 28 yrs ago. My EDC is a Colt CCO and I carry it 2 different ways depending on the weather. Cool days I have a vest that I wear under my coat that the weapon fits on one side and the other side will hold extra magazines. On warm days I have a OWB Galco leather made for my Colt and I wear a Hawaiian type shirt that hangs over it.
Do date no one has commented on the vest - it doesn't even print and the Hawaiian shirt works pretty well too.

Im working on it. I am 5'11" and this morning 232- down 10 pounds from where I started. I am 70 pounds heaver than when I got married, I gained 25 pounds in the 3 years after my son died.

If I could drop another 30-40 pounds none of this would be a real problem- My goal is 50 pounds total which would put me at 190

I'm sorry to hear about your son. That type of emotional impact can certainly make things like maintaining your health much more difficult.

I've struggled with weight much of my adult life. About 12 years ago, I was a slim 200lbs, and people told me I looked sickly. At about 250, people I know think I look 'normal and healthy' (strange). The last few years have been a real struggle to get back down. Getting older makes that much harder and I eat maybe half of what I used to years ago.

One of my issues is I wear dickies and a T shirt, I wear a zip up hoodie when its cold enough to do so. I cant really wear a second shirt most of the time and I am unwilling to change how I dress to deal with a firearm.

I work, and by that I mean I crawl around of the floor, am picking up things that weigh half what I do frequently and have to move them up, down and every other which way. I am standing running machinery, welding, moving parts and swinging a hammer at an anvil. bending over, twisting and constantly moving. If I am going to have something strapped to me it has to be comfy and not cause problems.

Maybe its just not possible. I had intended to pocket carry, but looked at what realistically I could stick in a pocket and figured I would not be happy with it.

I may go check out a Sig P398 but $800 to try out something I am not sure of seems a bit risky. I already have M&P's in both 9MM and .40 in both Compact and full size. I am committed to the M&P family. One of the things I like about that I I can practice with the 9 and carry the .40 OR if the need arose I could pack a full size in the same rig (they fit a little funny but do work in the same holster.)

I also have a couple of Glock 23's but I really have lost interest in them, I shoot the M&P's much better and they just feel better in my hand.

I've tried pocket carry with several guns, with and without pocket holsters. No matter what I tried, it was always awkward and uncomfortable. The LCP was the most comfortable, but all in all IWB has worked well with my 9c. Even getting down on the ground, crawling around. It's different for everyone though.

One of my issues is I wear dickies and a T shirt, I wear a zip up hoodie when its cold enough to do so. I cant really wear a second shirt most of the time and I am unwilling to change how I dress to deal with a firearm.

I work, and by that I mean I crawl around of the floor, am picking up things that weigh half what I do frequently and have to move them up, down and every other which way. I am standing running machinery, welding, moving parts and swinging a hammer at an anvil. bending over, twisting and constantly moving. If I am going to have something strapped to me it has to be comfy and not cause problems.

Maybe its just not possible. I had intended to pocket carry, but looked at what realistically I could stick in a pocket and figured I would not be happy with it.

I may go check out a Sig P398 but $800 to try out something I am not sure of seems a bit risky. I already have M&P's in both 9MM and .40 in both Compact and full size. I am committed to the M&P family. One of the things I like about that I I can practice with the 9 and carry the .40 OR if the need arose I could pack a full size in the same rig (they fit a little funny but do work in the same holster.)

I also have a couple of Glock 23's but I really have lost interest in them, I shoot the M&P's much better and they just feel better in my hand.

Well fat boy looks like you are part of the club.:D So how about ankle carry, they make some good rigs That are comfortable and retain a weapon well. Down side is you have to form tactics around that style of carry plus the gun need more cleaning as there is a lot of lint buildup. Glock 26 works fine since you like autos but a small MP works just as good.

Buy John Bianchis book "Blue steel and gun leather" or borrow it and he has every carry style in it and what works. I do like pocket carry too and it fits well with what I do, nothing...:D

Last Edited:

That brings up a good point.....SOMETIMES, having ANY gun is better than having No gun.......The way you dress IM, you might just find a small 380/22 that fits in a pocket of your overalls.

I mean, you have heavy gloves on all the time, so being quick on the draw isn't obtainable either........

I've been carrying a G26 in a Remora @4:00 for a few years....but it isn't comfy any longer, as I've lost 25#...........15 to go:D;):)

Pretty soon I'll be looking for a thread "How do you perfect weight folks carry?":rolleyes:o_O:D

I always have a .38 in my pocket with Barami Hip Grips. These are on the one I always have and work in the shop in all kinds of positions and never notice it is there. I also sometimes carry an LCR cross draw at 10 o'clock in a garrett silent thunder using the clips instead of loops for ease of on and off. The Silent thunder can be rotated which helps hide the grip.

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/
<broken link removed>

That brings up a good point.....SOMETIMES, having ANY gun is better than having No gun.......The way you dress IM, you might just find a small 380/22 that fits in a pocket of your overalls.

I mean, you have heavy gloves on all the time, so being quick on the draw isn't obtainable either........

I've been carrying a G26 in a Remora @4:00 for a few years....but it isn't comfy any longer, as I've lost 25#...........15 to go:D;):)

Pretty soon I'll be looking for a thread "How do you perfect weight folks carry?":rolleyes:o_O:D

:D First rule of a gun fight is have a gun. The smaller the gun the better shot you have to be as there isn't much power there. I don't want to be shot with any gun, even a small one.o_O

I am 5'7", 220 lbs (short and wide) and I carry a Kahr CW9 in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II for 3" 1911's and it works wonderfully. The pistol is small (around the same size as a S&W Shield) and does not print much at all. Although I know that concealed carry is meant to be comforting not necessarily comfortable, but the physical comfort level of any given rig is the key to confidence and happiness for me. I have tried numerous hybrid kydex and all leather holsters in the past, and Milt Sparks are by far my favorite. The wait time can be a bit trying, but they value quality over quantity, and I appreciate that very much.

When I'm working on something, rare, I carry a Ruger LCP at 6:00 in another SHTFGear IWB. It's not much gun but it's on me and it just disappears. If I have to lay on my back for a long time I just unclip it for a while. I get that you don't care to change the way you dress but a light wife beater shirt under the holster with a tee shirt over is not a giant sacrafice. Good luck with carry and weight loss. It's tough!!!

Monster, I sound like a jerk but let me tell you the future. As you get older that body weight will move around some. Some people will have their butt change to no fat on it and even a belt won't keep your pants up. You won't work as hard as you do now so it will be even more difficult to keep the weight off. Your carry options will change as a heavy gun isn't going to make it at all. Your vision is going to change and you will have to pick guns you can see the sights best with.

Your back will suffer from a lifetime of hard work so an inside the pants holster won't work cause by the time you get the belt tight enough it hurts your back. I suspect you will end up with suspenders and pocket carry or a shoulder holster if you can reach across your belly for the gun...when you get old.:D

First off I ask because I myself am a fat guy so don't think I'm just being a Jackwagon.

I am 50-70 pounds heavier that my "ideal" weight. I'm not 400 lbs but I got enough extra belly that I have to grunt and hold my breath to get my dang shoes on.

A IWB holster just seems crazy, I have a hard enough time getting me inside the waistband. So I have bought Several OWB holsters trying to find something that does not rub and irritate my "love handles" and so far I am not really a fan of any of them.

First off the firearm I want to holster is a M&P 9c

I started with a formed leather pancake generic holster off eBay

Fail

Then bought a more expensive Taqua open top which is better but still is not good enough

The last and best so far is a Blade-Tech Eclipse which is kydex and stands proud enough that it's not awful (but I am still not satisfied )

So... Can anyone recommend something? Right hand 4 o'clock OWB.

Thanks, and sorry for calling you fat..

As my belly and love handles grew so did the fit of my 15 old holsters they just don't work anymore. I am 5' 10" 220 now wear Alien gear IWB for my full size 1911 or my PT140 Taurus. Have you ever tried an alien gear IWB ? They are great for concealment and standing. However when sitting you have to have them in a exact placement. I take mine out when driving and bought an extra shell placed on my console and it works great. Just from my experience.

Monster, I sound like a jerk but let me tell you the future. As you get older that body weight will move around some. Some people will have their butt change to no fat on it and even a belt won't keep your pants up. You won't work as hard as you do now so it will be even more difficult to keep the weight off. Your carry options will change as a heavy gun isn't going to make it at all. Your vision is going to change and you will have to pick guns you can see the sights best with.

Your back will suffer from a lifetime of hard work so an inside the pants holster won't work cause by the time you get the belt tight enough it hurts your back. I suspect you will end up with suspenders and pocket carry or a shoulder holster if you can reach across your belly for the gun...when you get old.:D

Brother I am only in my mid 40's and its already started. I started feeling it in my late 30's. I know it's only going to get worse but because of what I do I'm quickly destroying my body

The number one thing to remember is that while fat people are hard to kidnap, fit people are harder to kill.

I am 5'8" and 200. Since passing 40, my cheeseburger habit has bumped me out of the opportunity to be an underwear model, but I work out as often as I can and I am shooting to get to somewhere between 190 and 195.

Work out and you will find it that your carry options expand while your waistline contracts.:cool:

....You won't work as hard as you do now so it will be even more difficult to keep the weight off.

Reminds me; I had a friend in High Skool, would regularly eat 2 Big Macs, fries, shake.........,and never gained weight......

.I could only eat 1 cheeseburger & small fries to stay at "healthy weight"..

He Pizzed me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............I LOVED Big Macs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now he's 350#...6' tall:);):(:confused::cool::D:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads