JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not exactly fat, just some handles. My most comfortable method is to carry OWB but with the belt threaded the opposite way. It brings the gun close without obstructing movement.

20150314_131545(0).jpg

Ah, I have a good friend with a E63 and a CL65 AMG. He bought the Cl65 used and still paid well over a hundred grand for it. He flogs them around like a go cart and its quite exhilarating to go for a ride. Until he took me out I really had no idea what kind of performance some of those mercs have. The guy is pretty well off though. I was complaining about my property taxes the last time I was hanging out with him, He said "yeah, well I am paying right at $250,000 a year in property tax" Kind of put my whining in perspective.

I'm 6'1 just about 300lbs and I carry my M&P40c IWB comfortably with a horsehide Crossbreed holster at 4 o'clock. I would consider myself "fat" but with that gun and holster combination I have no issues.

Very similar to Ruger, here. I carryed a mini-nine in an IWB for years. First get a holster that has a full leather backer between the grip and your skin. I used a SHTFGear off Amazon, they are excellent holsters. You have to size your pants and belt to waist and gun together. Stiff belt.......leather, not whiskey. Most comfort to me, some type of undershirt, tucked between me and the holster. Gun and pants buckled on and covered with a LOOSE polo shirt. You notice I've been using the past tense here. Im dealing with a pinched nerve in my back and have been forced to go to OWB. And it sucks!!!

Last Edited:
I'd suggest a pancake kydex holster. Make yourself, or there are hundreds of makers.
These are quite common in IDPA for FS guns and concealed.

You have to dress the part.

holster-and-mag-pics-016.jpg

If the gun part causes irritation -and the S&W serrations might, then you need to get a bigger inside holster - like this example the kydex would be against your body.

boba-fett-kydex-holster.jpg

Mostly this type - same in leather - comes down to where your pockets would be, get shirts at least a couple of inches longer

evike_kaos_kydex_holster.jpg

Dress accordingly - patterns, 2 tones, get a Tall size
This example is about $25

$_35.JPG
http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothin...e-Work-Shirt-WS508.jsp?cm_vc=9852723696502353

Ruger_SR9c_Holster_1.jpg

I have a pretty complete Kydex set up, However I have only ever done knives and axes. My thought about building a holster is I dont have enough experience to know what works, only what doesn't . It wouldnt hurt to just play with some Kydex and see what I could come up with though

For a long time I was 5'10" and close to 300lbs with a 44" waist; that puts me squarely in the fat guy catagory. My preferred method has always been an IWB holster whether it was a Commander sized 1911 or a compact 9mm and always in leather with the tab on the inside to protect me from the top of the slide. I'm a casual guy so a tucked in t-shirt (between me and the holster) and covered by some sort of t-shirt or button up shirt. The issue that I've had is that I have no hips or behind so the weight of the gun would always have me pulling up my pants which sort of defeats the purpose so I took to wearing suspenders over the tucked in shirt and under the over shirt. The suspenders allowed me to carry the pistol I wanted without worrying about the weight and losing my pants.

I think a lot of the holster selection is going to be dpendant on where you carry your weight. I have love handles but most of my weight is out front so an IWB worked for me. If you spill out over the sides anything on your side may not work comfortably.

Good luck!

I mostly use a Galco Miami Classic 2 shoulder rig, at times a Galco Askins Avenger or Concealable for OWB carry. Make sure you have a high quality belt or your holster won't matter a bit. I'm 6'2 340 and carry a Sig P229 or P220. Shirts and jeans/shorts a little larger than needed will help as well.

I ordered a N82 Pro. I like the pitch. I'll see how that goes.

I would be surprised if you don't like it. It will feel odd at first due to the size but give it some time. I wear mine at 4 o'clock. It fits nice and snug to the body and is so comfortable I don't even notice it any longer. I wish I had the money back that I spent on the ones that didn't work, I would have a down payment for another weapon.

I would be surprised if you don't like it. It will feel odd at first due to the size but give it some time. I wear mine at 4 o'clock. It fits nice and snug to the body and is so comfortable I don't even notice it any longer. I wish I had the money back that I spent on the ones that didn't work, I would have a down payment for another weapon.

I really like mine. It took me probably a month to adjust to the new holster. I was getting the occasional pressure point, but I kept with it, moving it just a bit back and forth to find just the right spot. Now, I barely notice it. I really like that no part of the gun touches me, that makes for a much more comfortable wear. And the suede backing is nice too, even though I do wear it against a tucked undershirt, it does make a difference.

I should mention too that since it's a retention type holster, you'll want to practice drawing and re-holstering your gun. You've got to get your thumb between the gun and the holster then a slight twist to the left to draw. It's very instinctual to me now. I took the holster to an all day defensive handgun course at Oregon Firearms Academy where we drew from concealment to shot all day long - not a single problem.

Last Edited:
I have strongly considered doing some pocket carry but figured even the Shield was too big, that I would have to settle for something like the Bodyguard which I am not sure I am willing to do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top