JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question for those of you that have long guns kept in your vehicle. How do you secure them? I understand the desire to keep them easily accessible but would also think keeping it secured is desired. So how do you do it?

Without going into details of how my particular set is and works , over a open forum...

If you have a truck or a van I can not say enough good things about :
DECKED Truck bed storage lockers....

I trust it when carrying my collection.
Andy

Might I inquire for a bit of clarity, are you talking 'gee in backroad'g or hunting in wilderness' or 'roam'n bout the hills and dells of Tacoma'?

Note, not being a backwood's type yet a truck owner, the firearm container safe(s) - LG(s) under the back rear seat and medium sized handgun safe, both bolted securely in, is how I travel and keep my SD equipment secure from predators and inquisitive LEs.

Additionally, while my SD handgun is normally OC'd on my hip while driving but if stopped by a nice LE to have a conversation about whatever they wish to discuss, is discretely [practiced maneuver to not appear out of norm from removing 'seat-belt' activity] removed & slid into the normally open handgun safe immediately behind the driver's seat and then door is shut and locked before they get to the window.

No key is kept in the cab of the vehicle to open said container(s).

As mentioned, I can not articulate off road firearm carrying practices - I'm a city boy!

1) Hidden is definitely a requirement. Don't tempt people.

2) Don't otherwise advertise that you might have firearms in your vehicle - NRA/etc., Glock/etc., gun slogan stickers, etc., just are saying, there is a better chance that this vehicle may have firearms or other items of value in it. This is a bit more subtle, but still problematic:

Molon Labe come and take them License Plate Frame | eBay

3) Don't put the gun somewhere obvious if you leave it in the vehicle; not the glove compartment, or the console, or even under the seat.

4) A locking container (preferably hidden) of some sort is better than just hiding, and in some locales is required - especially if you do not have a CHL/et. al.

giphy.gif

Some hatchbacks/SUVs/crossovers have a "false floor" in the cargo area. In smaller vehicles if you want to haul around a long gun, you may need to have a long gun with a stock that collapses/folds/etc., or a takedown version or bullpup, etc.

That is one reason why I have a Mossberg Shockwave.

I drive an impreza hatch. My situation would be road and camping trips mostly around the olympic peninsula.

I drive an Impreza sedan. I have a locking gun vault that has a cable that put inside drivers side seat mount and unlocks with a key. I have a CPL so I have a Gum Creek gun holster for in car carry as well.

Vehicle Handgun Mount

Also have another mount for which I have used a few times.

Pistol Clamp Mount

For hiking with a handgun I recently acquired a Kenai chest holster. Took awhile to receive this holster since it is custom made for your handgun.

Kenai Chest Holster – GunfightersINC

If you have a AR15 then I would get lock on the lower so that way your are safe since will take the thief a while to take the lock out.

https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-AR-...800&sprefix=gunvault+ar&sr=8-1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I have two AR15 lower locks and they have different key numbers. They have two keys included.

Last Edited:
I typically drive my gas sipping beater that takes a key to open the trunk (no lever in cab).

Two fold security:
1. The driver of said beater surely couldn't own anything of value.
2. Valuable items out of sight, in a locked trunk, with the only provisions for opening being a key or crowbar.

Trucks and suv's could be more difficult considering the cargo hold on an SUV is accessible from the cab and bed covers for trucks rarely provide much security except keeping the honest folks, honest.

My best advice there would be to keep things of value out of sight.

Been considering this for a while.

Best thing to me would be some kind of clamping lock like the police use, secured under a back seat. Rifle would be a cheapy PSA build.

Planning to do this, just haven't had the time or funds.

I second the stickers. I want an oval marathon style 5.56 and 7.62 sticker so bad but don't want to advertise. If you can get it in your car and have even a slight feeling you need to adjust it then do it. Don't drive or let it sit unless you're completely confident. I recently had an airgun get damaged being in a cheap plastic case and sitting across my minivans backseat slanted at just the wrong angle for too long. The weaver converter piece that converts from dovetail to weaver must
not have been tight enough because it slid back and knocked off my rear retaining block.

Been considering this for a while.

Best thing to me would be some kind of clamping lock like the police use, secured under a back seat. Rifle would be a cheapy PSA build.

Planning to do this, just haven't had the time or funds.

Some vehicles have space under their back seat, my daily driver does not - it is one of the first places I checked.

There are hundreds of options out there, I wont discuss personal options.
But there are many items that allow one to replace a part with another making it appear part of the vehicle. The newer vehicles have this optional parts out there more then others. I great way is to look at tactical, Leo, storage as there is allot out there and most can be bought by the public.

Some vehicles have space under their back seat, my daily driver does not - it is one of the first places I checked.
Just ask any Mexican to fabricate some smuggling spaces in your rig.. they all know how to do it. Matter of fact, "Mexican" in Spanish mean "fabricator of hiding spaces".

not really

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR