JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But here's the thing about this. I've read at least half of this bill.. This same article was posted on ATS.. We searched through it and no one could cite specific parts of the bill to prove the conclusion of the title of this thread.

It's pretty much just a bunch of boring text about food safety. Go ahead and read it, I've not yet seen where it bans home grown food.

The last time we got a "modernization" act was the Commodities Future's Modernization Act about a decade ago. This was one of the pieces of legislation that legalized (with no government oversight) some of the financial derivatives (like credit default swaps) that helped put us into the greatest recession since the 1930's. When the government says they are going to modernize something, better bend over and get ready cause you know what comes next. These days laws are passed to help big business not private US citizens.

But here's the thing about this. I've read at least half of this bill.. This same article was posted on ATS.. We searched through it and no one could cite specific parts of the bill to prove the conclusion of the title of this thread.

It's pretty much just a bunch of boring text about food safety. Go ahead and read it, I've not yet seen where it bans home grown food.

Legislation is written vague (and in boring legalese) on purpose. How it is implemented has little to do with how it is written.

In this case, legislation written exclusively for 'regulating' 'big business' will trickle down to and hinder the little business. A very good book on this subject is called 'Everything I Want to do is Illegal'. In one of the stories in this book, the writer (a grow-and-sell-local family farmer)talks about the USDA requiring a complete dressing/washing/toilet area capable of handling at least 10 employees, and this rule, even though written for a large meat processing facility, by default applied to his small family farm (with no outside employees) too. When the inspector asked where their dress/wash/toilet facility was, and was pointed towards the farmhouse where the family lived, the inspector shut them down for non-compliance. It was later resolved in court, but at a huge legal expense.

The Eatwild Store: Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal

As a side note, legislation that imposes a costly compliance burden on small business is easily absorbed by big business, and is often sponsored by the big businesses themselves to put their smaller competition out of business. Fact. One prime example is the Food and Drug Act of 1906. Pushed through congress by big meat packing houses like Hormel, the corner butchershop was doomed because they couldn't afford the compliance costs. Another is the requirement for gas stations to replace their underground storage tanks, even if they weren't leaking. Few Mom-and-Pops could afford the cost, so they sold their stations to the big oil chains and poof few of those family owned stations remain.

Keith

Before everyone gets their collective panties in a wad, read this please:

<broken link removed>

That being said, I think Monsanto is EEE-vil.

The bill applies to 'anyone who sells food'. We buy our eggs from a neighbor who has backyard chickens, and this would apply to him. It would also apply to anyone who grows small quantities of vegetables in their backyard garden and sells them over a card table at a local farm market.

The problem with contamination in the food supply is not only the long shipping distances involved, promoting bacteria growth before the food gets to you, but the sheer industrial scale of the various operations. Ever read about why they pump meat cattle full of antibiotics and steriods for months before slaughter? And people eat that crap. The solution is simple. Grow your own vegetables and fruit, buy from local vegetable, egg and grass-fed meat farmers, join a CSA program, and eat organic. It requires a bit more planning, and might cost more, but the better nutritional content more than offsets the cost and if you are concerned about your health, its worth it.

Keith

I once read that the commerce clause was first abused when it was used to stop a man from growing potatoes in his yard on about a acre of land. The potatoes were for his own personal use. The government stepped in and said that because they considered the amount of potatoes he was growing to be too much for a family to consume, that it was reasonable to expect the potatoes to be sold in the market. Since they figured the potatoes may be sold, they then jumped to the conclusion that they would be sold across state lines, thus were subject to regulation by the Federal Government. They shut him down and set a horrible precedent of abusing the commerce clause. Bottom line is that if we don't keep the government in line, they will regulate everything one way or another.

I once read that the commerce clause was first abused when it was used to stop a man from growing potatoes in his yard on about a acre of land. The potatoes were for his own personal use. The government stepped in and said that because they considered the amount of potatoes he was growing to be too much for a family to consume, that it was reasonable to expect the potatoes to be sold in the market. Since they figured the potatoes may be sold, they then jumped to the conclusion that they would be sold across state lines, thus were subject to regulation by the Federal Government. They shut him down and set a horrible precedent of abusing the commerce clause. Bottom line is that if we don't keep the government in line, they will regulate everything one way or another.

Wickard v. Filburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Filburn argued that since the excess wheat he produced was intended solely for home consumption it could not be regulated through the Interstate Commerce Clause. The Supreme Court rejected this argument, reasoning that if Filburn had not used home-grown wheat he would have had to buy wheat on the open market. This [would] effect...interstate commerce, the Court reasoned..."

Keith

I have potentially illegal trees in my yard, and way to many tomatoes for personal use. Good thing I know real meat comes in styrafoam with plastic wrap on it. When we globilize our food sources we are more at risk of disease and lose the capacity to feed ourselves putting us at the mercy of whoever does grow the food!

Yeah, like that's going to happen. Come on people, do you really believe that the government is going to stop you from growing your own food? I'm beginning to think that paranoia is running rampant here.:s0131:

If they can ban collecting rainwater that falls on your roof, they can ban growing your own potatoes too.

Keith

I have read this assertion several times on different forums, but have yet to see any proof that this has really happened. It might be possible that a city could ban using rainwater collected from a roof for drinking purposes because of the various chemicals used in roofing materials. There are toxic elements in most asphalt shingles and it would make using rainwater collected from the roof less than ideal!:huh:

Wtf? This will never pass. Completely unenforceable and totally ridiculous.

Reminds me of the height of obamamania when every other thread was some new assault weapon bill that of course never got anywhere. More fearmongering is all it is.

For most people, when we envision warfare, we picture armed men charging at each other across a battlefield in a fair contest of arms. Most people don't put any more thought into than that. If they did, they would quickly realize that warfare encompasses a wide spectrum of activity. Propaganda, spy games, resource control - you get the idea.

Have you noticed that gun owners, returning veterans, and anyone who disagrees with the gov program is being demonized as a "potential homegrown terrorist"?

You are under attack - we are at war, and we are not yet even putting up any resistance. There is a faction on this planet that is at war with humanity. They are greedy control freaks who desire to possess all the earth, and reduce the human population to slavery. How can you not realize it when the evidence is all around you?

You are under chemical attack through vaccines, processed food, poisoned water supplies - they are even spraying the atmosphere.

How can it surprise you that, being under attack, your enemy desires control of your food supply?

Please research UN Agenda 21 and Codex Alimentarius, this bill has been submitted to further implement these.

Wake up people. The country you think you live in is dead or dying. The longer you take to awaken to this fact, the more painful it will be, and the greater our losses will be. Try fighting through the system by electing freedom loving americans to as many positions as possible. Also realize that if we fail in this, it's lights out for free humanity.

Or go back to sleep, rivet yourself to the latest crap about Lindsey Lohan, and intensely studying those wonderful heroic men who charge up and down the football field for the betterment of life on this earth.
>myfacewhen

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads