JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In fact any water falling from the sky belongs to the government according to well established, legal water rights. That water is what feeds streams and the aquifer from which others pull their supplies.

Many states, including Washington, are trying to decide how to accommodate personal rain barrels systems. As things currently stand the "authorities" could come in and fine someone for stealing water that they don't have rights to. Don't think they will, but under the law they have the rights to do so.

In fact any water falling from the sky belongs to the government according to well established, legal water rights.

The day the government can choose where and when the water falls from the sky is the day they can own it. Until then, if it falls on my house, outbuildings or property unrequested, it belongs to me.

"If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public's right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes.

I was not able to find anything that says this in the bill here; Read The Bill: S. 510 - GovTrack.us As long as you are making the claim, can you point out where it says this?

In fact in the bill summary, it says in part;
(2) require that each person (excluding farms and restaurants) who manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, receives, holds, or imports an article of food permit inspection of his or her records if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.
Farms are excluded from some parts of the bill. Last I heard, food is grown on farms.

Ranb

In fact any water falling from the sky belongs to the government according to well established, legal water rights. That water is what feeds streams and the aquifer from which others pull their supplies.

So any water that is retained on our properties is still property of the Gov... perhaps we should start charging collection and disposals fees.

Actually, liberals are conspiring with aliens from another star system to disarm us, fatten us up, and then using us for food. First the aliens have to grind us up and mix the meal with water ( hence the control of water ) before they can ship the mixture back to the home planet! ( less volume, which lowers starship fuel costs!):D

Actually, liberals are conspiring with aliens from another star system to disarm us, fatten us up, and then using us for food. First the aliens have to grind us up and mix the meal with water ( hence the control of water ) before they can ship the mixture back to the home planet! ( less volume, which lowers starship fuel costs!):D

And what do the liberals get out all this you ask? They don't get eaten!:s0114:

Thanks. I'm no lawyer, but it reads like it is legal to collect the rainwater from a roof without a permit, but it may be regulated at the State's whim.

Ranb

I actually read the summary... and while I'm not exactly in the "the government is coming to take our food away" camp, I'm not totally in the "this is a non-issue" camp either.

While there are specific sections intended to exempt small business from this, as has been mentioned earlier, regulations set out to cover only the big businesses, have a natural trend to regulate everyone. When big regulations meet small business, small business usually loses.

As a citizen, I realize that the government has chosen to take a role in regulating where are food comes from and how it is handled along the way, largely as a result of big business not holding up it's end of the bargain, and giving people poor quality products, tainted products, and products which are mislabeled. To a certain extent, I am glad they inspect meat packing plants, certify different grades of meat, eggs, milk and other products. However, I am also very wary of the government passing new regulations, especially in the way they have been lately, using words like "comprehensive" and "modernization" in that the government has in many ways, completely abdicated it's role as an instrument of the people to protect themselves from unscrupulous businesses, but instead has chosen to treat everyone as a bad actor until proven otherwise.

What really surprised me most about the egg recalls that prompted this legislation was that not all eggs have salmonella present. Until this, I by default assumed all eggs had salmonella present and was very conscious of how I prepared my food as to prevent food borne illness.

Back to the topic at hand... Section 101, states:

(Sec. 101) Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) to expand the authority of the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to inspect records related to food, including to: (1) allow the inspection of records of food that the Secretary reasonably believes is likely to be affected in a similar manner as an adulterated food; and (2) require that each person (excluding farms and restaurants) who manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, receives, holds, or imports an article of food permit inspection of his or her records if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

Since farmers are exempt, private individuals would also be exempt, however, there is a great amount of ambiguity as to what is considered "manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, recieves, holds or imports". So since farmers are different from and distinct from "manufacturers, processors, packagers, and distributors" despite the fact that farming requires food to be picked, which could be considered manufacturing, processing, packaging, and distribution. However, since farmers only engage in these activities as a result of farming, logic would follow that a private individual who grew the food would also be exempt. Otherwise, this regulation could shut down most farmers markets as we know them.

An interesting note: in the riverfront times article they mentioned "And if you don't think the panic is real, have you tried to purchase a carton of eggs at a farmer's market in the past week and a half? It's been next to impossible."

I am confused... Where do the people at the farmer's market get the eggs? I suppose I'm being quixotic to assume that the products found at a farmer's market are there by the virtue of being produced by the person selling them to me. Or was this simply a panic where all the yuppies who usually frequent farmer's markets would not buy eggs, so farmers there to sell eggs would have no market. In the first case, that person should be banned from the farmer's market, because they are not farmers, and should have to act like every other business engaged in retail sale. In the second case, people should learn a few things about food and not depend on the government and the news media for any kind of arbitration of safety.

Re: the eggs at farm markets, the folks I've bought from all get their eggs from their own backyard/farm flocks, be they chickens, ducks, whatever. The reason the eggs have been difficult to get is that during the salmonella scare, people were foregoing the industrially farmed eggs in favor of the locally produced eggs.

Keith

True dat!! :s0071:
But did you know these aliens are from the planet Kenya?!? You may have heard of their principle emissary.
He's from planet Kenya too!
Don't believe me? Just check out how many Kenyans are starving and have little or no water!
Of course they would have all kinds of food and water if it weren't for the huge Barackracy they have in power there.

It's all over the dotnet. :D

:s0084: :s0084: :s0084: :s0084: :s0084: :s0084:

Once more the dotgov reaches for more control,... And the sheeple argue about whether or not it is justified, on internet forums.
And which side of the argument you are on, depends on which party is in control,...
We need more Gov-controls like a drowning man needs more water.
Go ahead, make a case FOR it, because your party is in power. Then when leadership changes hands, we can listen to you scream about it because someone you disagree with is wielding the power YOU gave them.

Sheesh!!!

Once more the dotgov reaches for more control,... And the sheeple argue about whether or not it is justified, on internet forums.
And which side of the argument you are on, depends on which party is in control,...
We need more Gov-controls like a drowning man needs more water.
Go ahead, make a case FOR it, because your party is in power. Then when leadership changes hands, we can listen to you scream about it because someone you disagree with is wielding the power YOU gave them.

Huh?

Actually, I think many of the folks on this forum were just as much against Bush's Medicare Part D, No Child Left Behind, and the Faith Based Initiative policies as they are about BarryCare.

I think your statement "We need more Gov-controls like a drowning man needs more water" is spot on.

Keith

Whoever introduced this 'bill' should be hung on grounds of treason.

If, for some asinine reason, it passes, well...that will just be one more things I engage in illegally.
It doesn't matter who we elect or who we hang. (Although it may be a good start!) As long as corporations give politicians millions of dollars to pass legislation that is favorable to them, and not to pass legislation that is unfavorable to them, NOTHING will change. The market inherently does not care about the good of the people.

Here's a correction to my earlier post:
Washington, as of Oct 2009, declared that one does not need water rights to rooftop rain gathering: <broken link removed>
(this is the website that was down)

Prior to this declaration you would need a water rights permit to gather that water. In the rainy Northwest this isn't much of an issue and no agency ever bothered to enforce the government's position, however that does NOT mean that the government didn't have the right to do so.

Other states however have taken efforts to secure this water as well as gray water effluent.

Here's an article from Colorado that discusses it quite well: Graywater Reuse and Rainwater Harvesting

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top