JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My father's Ruger Blackhawk lasted him his lifetime. And now that Ahole that stole it from him, after he developed dementia, has a nice Revolver.

I still have his Ruger Standard going strong for two generations now. And his 6mm.

Enjoy your Iver you inherited :)
I enjoy the Ivers and Colts I inherited for a combination of reasons. No one here said Ruger's were a bad gun........just not in the league of a Colt or even a Smith. My orignal 1858 Civil War issue Remington revolver still works and shoots great too but many lesser guns from the time do not so in comparison have lost in value and utility. Andy's great flint locks are well over 200 years old and function well but most cheep Indian trade rifles from the period do not.

Last Edited:
.just not in the league of a Colt or even a Smith

I will agree back in the 70's and before the Colts and Smiths had a much better fit /finish than the Rugers. Now days not a chance. I bought a new 629 from Buds last year and sent it back because the fit/finish was horrible. Even the grips had a run in the stain.

My battery of firearms contains both Smith & Wesson and Ruger products. No Colt revolvers at this time, they kinda dropped out of that business. Guns are made for one purpose, to shoot bullets, so aesthetics shouldn't apply but in the real world, they do. I don't like fugly guns. Ruger products are surely worthy of their intended purpose. They've made a few dogs over the years but to compensate for that issue, they have terrific warranty service and I've called them to to task by using it several times. The Ruger .22 auto may look like a shop project (as someone before me said) but its success speaks for itself and the silly things will last forever.

I'm not too wild Ruger's more recent LC series of handguns, little plastic things. LCP = Little Clown Pistol. Had one, it didn't stick around long.

By way of personal preference, Ruger gets the nod for small revolvers. I've owned I don't know how many Smith J frames over the years, they are all gone but I have three Ruger SP101's in different calibers that I like. I have a few Vaqueros, old and new. I can't bring myself to want a GP100, fine gun that it may be but again, the looks.

My Ford Crown Victoria says it will go up to 120 mph but I've never driven it over 80 since I bought it new. Just wondering, do people really need cars that will go 160 mph?

Am I a Colt, S&W or Ruger guy? Yes all of the above.
How do they rate?

S&W- I love the K&L frames. I won't buy a new one however. I feel they are lesser in quality than vintage pre-locks and P&R models. I also have or had older J frames and a 629 that pleased me.

Ruger- I have bought and sold more Rugers than any other brand. The single actions are in my opinion tough to beat. They are rugged and affordable, and my 32 caliber single actions are svelte and powerful. A great combination. The sp101 in 327 or 357 is also not "clunky" but needs a bit of trigger work to match the Colts and S&W.

Colt- simply put, I regret every one I turned loose. 2 Diamondbacks, a Python and a Scout. :(

Colt- simply put, I regret every one I turned loose. 2 Diamondbacks, a Python and a Scout. :(

I have a late '60s detective special and I favor it over the model 36 because it's a tad bigger and holds 6 rounds. It's in rough shape finish wise but still good inside. It's a lot more fun to shoot than the 36. If I ever get stupid wealthy I'd have a Colt collection to match the Smiths I had before the boat accident:oops: ;).

I will agree back in the 70's and before the Colts and Smiths had a much better fit /finish than the Rugers. Now days not a chance. I bought a new 629 from Buds last year and sent it back because the fit/finish was horrible. Even the grips had a run in the stain.
I bought about five brand new S&W's back in the 80's that I could unscrew the barrels with my hands. Not a real confidence booster.

Not true. The parts alone are astronomical.

Not really. Some are some in line with parts for every other car. Add to the fact that their factory parts last much longer than the American/Jap counterparts you're money ahead. I spent 13 months working for Mercedes as a sub contractor installing SS and carbon piping systems in a new building at their plant near here. I got to see 1st hand how those cars are made, the care, presicion and high standards simply don't compare to other plants I've been to. Say what you want but the Germans know how to build something that will last-I have both a MG34 and a MG42 that are additional proof to that. If you can't or won't spend the money for the best quality that money will buy, fine don't. But don't run down a product or those of us that demand the best for our money.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top