JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I liked my tiny little Ruger Bearcat original. Just right for backpacking. As for the rest, well, I like them all! Just wish I could have afforded more revolvers. I don't EDC a wheel gun so it was never a priority.

Ruger makes very strong revolvers. They are built like an old John Deere tractor. I
shot a friend's 357 Gp-100,4". Being a Smith fan I expected the Ruger not to
shoot as tight of groups as my 686 or 627. :rolleyes: To my surprise that Ruger shot as well
as any 357.:eek::eek: I prefer the Smith but I do not dislike the Ruger. The Ruger is kind
of a chunky monkey. Bulky because it is investment casting manufactured as
compared to a Smith. :p:p:p

Last Edited:
Admittedly, I'm not much of a revolver guy, but I am a Ruger fan. Nothing against the S&W's, just when it comes to revolvers, I like the Rugers. GP100, SP101, nice revolvers and I do think they look good, nothing chunky about them in my eyes. But then maybe Sir Mix a Lot and I have some things in common? ;)

Last Edited:
Look into the little hole in front and tell it that it's fat to it's FACE!! Go on, I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!!

87303550-F8CE-4B59-BA64-9249956978C3.png

:D

My .02, worth what you paid for it. Colts and Smiths are "prettier" than Rugers. Every Smith I've shot had a better trigger right out of the box than its comparable Ruger counterpart. That being said I own Rugers not Smiths. The big heavy industrial look and feel fits my big heavy hands and needs much better and I can fix the trigger.

They all have their place I own the exact same amount of Smiths as Rugers. Used to be the one I shot best was my first one, an 80's vintage SW 629. It had the best out of box trigger of any wheel gun I owned. Then I got a Ruger gp100 and had some trigger work done and it know takes honors of the best shooter of the bunch.

Well, I am a triggermaniac and no factory trigger is ever good enough for me. I do the work or have a gunsmith do the work, but bad triggers must be addressed for life to be good! :)

Oddly enough, my wife's Taurus 605 revolver has a wonderful trigger right out of the box... except too much trigger pull lb... I put in some Wolfe springs but found the 6lb spring didn't consistently overcome the transfer bar, had to put in the 9lb. It is a smooth pull tho. We both shoot it well. Now her Taurus .380 trigger is another story. But we can afford Rugers and Taurus, not S&W. Besides, I like chunky over sleek and prefer the GP100 over the SP101 look. Maybe I think I could bash someone over the head, IDK.

I like both and have had great luck with all. I have to say the triggers on the wessons are a bit better but I do worry about the durability of my 629 vs my Redhawk in 44. I have a SRH as well but that's in 454... Makes the 44 seem pretty tame. I also like changing the front sights on the rugers better than the smiths. I honestly like the looks of both about the same... For some reason I never really liked the colts much in the looks dept or function. Not sure why people pay so much more for them then a Ruger or Smith. I like the Dan Wesson revolvers as well but the good ones are out of my price range now days. I have never owned but often though of getting a raging bull in 44 seems like they are put together better than some of the other Taurus revolvers. As weight goes all of the 44's or bigger are heavy even my mountain backpacker isn't something I would call overly concealable so that part of the debate is silly to me. Only one I would call too heavy is the x frame... Whew couldn't imagine carrying one of them. My SRH with 7.5 barrel is lighter and easier to handle than some of the short version x frames and with the short barrel you loose so much speed/energy that my 454 actually starts to look better on paper. No brainer to me at least.

Ruger double action revolvers just remind me of an International Harvester. All that's missing is the red paint. Thier single action revolvers are nice, but their .22 auto looks like it was made in a shop class, it is no Colt Woodsman.

Look into the little hole in front and tell it that it's fat to it's FACE!! Go on, I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!!

View attachment 478817

:D
That looks just like my wife's GP100. We tried a number of pistols (semi and wheel) over at Rich's Gun Shop over in Donald and that was the gun she wanted to get. 357 Magnum with a 4" barrel, but she just shoots the 38s, lets me borrow it to shot the Magnums. I like that we got the Stainless, it is easy to see what gets dirty after a session, lol.

Ron

Yes!
Like Medic! Said, there all good!
I really wish Colt still made revolvers, especially good ones, those snakes were some of the best of all! I am a YUGE Ruger fan, but then again, those S&Ws are pretty darn nice too!
Miss my Dan Wesson, and wish I had got that Anaconda, but the Python does the trick every time and fits like it was made just for my hands and eyes! A GP100 may follow me home one day, sure do like them!

Colt stopped making revolvers long ago..
I've heard many excuses for that regrettable decision.
Some of the Colt revolvers started out as "NIB" in my own possession, but most were in some degree of previous use. I even had a brace of SAA 1st gen from pre 1900 actively used in cowboy matches. Some were late 60s & 70s era DA; virtually none of them required repair while in my active use. They all got plenty of either match or practice use.

Some of the DAs weren't to my liking so traded off.

It really says something when the question is about S&W vs Ruger and almost everybody brings up Colt, when they haven't made pistols in such a long time.

It really says something when the question is about S&W vs Ruger and almost everybody brings up Colt, when they haven't made pistols in such a long time.

Sam Colt set the bar pretty darn high, build quality, fit and finish, functionality, and accuracy were all first and for most, and that all still shows, even after all these years! One look at that deep blueing, and that perfect meeting of art and function that just seems to become a part of your hand! S&W have been around almost as long, but they never could compete with Colt, being more an industrial tool in comparison. Today we have Ruger, some might say they took the best designs and inspirations went with them, while offering a less expensive option that still had quality, accuracy, and durability in a fairly attractive package!
All three have earned a rightful place in American hearts, Only one will ever rise to the top of collecting and value!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews