JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an older 617-1 (six shot) and a more recent production GP100 (10 shot). Like them both. Do not have any experience with the Colt.

Both are pretty heavy for a 22, which doesn't bother me as I'm using them at the range. If I were packing them around, I'd probably look at a lighter model. No sense carrying a 357 sized revolver to fire 22LR.

I have an older 617-1 (six shot) and a more recent production GP100 (10 shot). Like them both. Do not have any experience with the Colt.

Both are pretty heavy for a 22, which doesn't bother me as I'm using them at the range. If I were packing them around, I'd probably look at a lighter model. No sense carrying a 357 sized revolver to fire 22LR.
Sounds good. Ideas for a lighter model. Ruger makes the Single Six but double action lighter models?

Currently own a 617, 4" 10-shot and it is one of the few guns I won't part with. Many friends and family members have asked to purchase after shooting. A couple years ago during the last panic I was going to buy a second 617 in 6" and there were 2 on the wall at Sportsmans Warehouse. One of them was coming home with me but after handling them both there was no way I was dropping the money on them. The actions on both were atrocious with one having a very gritty feel and a single action with a lot of creep, this gun also had a larger burr protruding into the forcing cone. The other one had so much grit in the action I wondered if there were still metal chips from manufacturing left in the action. It was the worst action I had ever felt in a S&W revolver. So if you are going to get a 617, which I highly endorse, I would look to purchase an older one and wouldn't buy sight unseen so you can try the action. They are a wonderful pistol and mine shoots lights out and is always one of the stars during any range day.

I considered adding a GP100 but was less than impressed with the feel of the action and operation for the asking price. I am sure it could get smoothed out but didn't want to spend the additional money to have a gunsmith fix what should have been done at the factory.

The Colt King Cobra 22lr new production is very intriguing. I have a Python and really enjoy it but it required a trip to the gunsmith to fix the single action trigger. Colt as an added measure of safety added a little additional pull to release the hammer in single action, i.e. your pull brings the hammer back ever so slightly before disengaging vs. a normal single action pull that has zero creep. I wonder if the King Cobra has the same feature/issue.

A nice 22lr revolver is an awesome addition to any firearm collection and a blast to shoot. You have some great options identified to choose from.

Sounds good. Ideas for a lighter model. Ruger makes the Single Six but double action lighter models?
This caught my attention. Maybe what you described?

A bit lighter than the GP-100 (30oz vs 42oz), 8 shot, 4.2" barrel with fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear: the Ruger SP-101 in 22lr. My personal version after WAY too many hours of polishing and some aftermarket eBay wood grips:
SP101_22lr_Polished_1.jpg

SP101_22lr_Polished_2.jpg

Ruger_SP101_22lr_polished_open_2017-02-01_1.jpg

Although, there are a lot of other Ruger options (Single Six, Wrangler, Bear Cat, etc) that would fit the bill too.

That whole Ruger vs S&W thing? I don't like revolver frames with side plates and extra screws. Those screws can get buggered or fall out. Not a problem with the Ruger, but to each their own. Variety is the spice of life.

Good luck with your decision! It's a good problem to have!

A bit lighter than the GP-100 (30oz vs 42oz), 8 shot, 4.2" barrel with fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear: the Ruger SP-101 in 22lr. My personal version after WAY too many hours of polishing and some aftermarket eBay wood grips:
View attachment 1762235

View attachment 1762236

View attachment 1762237

Although, there are a lot of other Ruger options (Single Six, Wrangler, Bear Cat, etc) that would fit the bill too.

That whole Ruger vs S&W thing? I don't like revolver frames with side plates and extra screws. Those screws can get buggered or fall out. Not a problem with the Ruger, but to each their own. Variety is the spice of life.

Good luck with your decision! It's a good problem to have!
What is the accuracy like with this one? thx.

What is the accuracy like with this one? thx.
Don't know that I've done any bench testing, but I shoot soda can sized targets at 15 yards with it. I tend to spend more time with my long guns, but this makes a nice companion piece when I'm out with my Winchester 94-22 lever gun in 22lr. High bar, I know.

Oddly enough, and counter intuitive to everything in my brain, the most accurate 22lr revolver I have is a Heritage Rough Rider single action with bird's head grip. It has no business being as accurate as it is. I don't normally do any major accuracy testing with 22lr revolvers, but this one hits EXACTLY where I point at every time.

Not my picture, but how I have mine setup:
altamontco.com%2Fshared%2Fphotos_medium%2FHRB-CP93.jpg

I have a Ruger Wrangler that surprised me too. For a $200 gun, it shot pretty well although I wasn't shooting groups on paper with it.

tkdguy, if you are interested in a modestly priced single action 22, let me know. I listed the Wrangler to try and consolidate down a bit. Nothing wrong with it, shoots great the couple times I had it out.

I think all are about the similar price range. Any ideas which is the best? SW 617?
I only have real experience with the old H&R and High Standard DA 9-shot .22 revolvers.
The DA's are extremely heavy on .22 revolvers leading one to consider a single-action.
With shooting and perhaps skilled smoothing of certain surfaces the DA pull may improve. If you change out the springs to lighter, save perhaps the trigger return, you'll likely have many more misfires so you pretty much get what you get.
That's code for, especially if you actually intend to fire DA, to go to a gun store and try the DA trigger pull.
One .22 DA revolver I've heard good things about regarding the DA pull is the Ruger LCR and LCRX.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews