JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own Rugers, S&Ws, and Colts. Colt has hands down the best triggers and best looking IMO.

Between rugers and smiths I like rugers because they handle some stout loads where I have seen quite a few damaged S&Ws from too hot of loads.

This is always interesting to watch. Jerry on the three revolvers.
It makes me cringe when he absolutely short strokes that Python on the very first shot and with his intent/sureness of grip, it probably needed to be rebuilt/timed..

My father was looking at used GP100s because he didn't want to spend S&W money...
I helped him get into a beautiful 586 for GP100 money today and he is one happy old man!
541CCBE7-733D-4A20-A91A-65399DA3063A.jpeg

It makes me cringe when he absolutely short strokes that Python on the very first shot and with his intent/sureness of grip, it probably needed to be rebuilt/timed..

So fast and acaccurate. By the time I get one shot off he'd be reloading haha. But hey, at least my reloading supplies and gun stuff is organized;). Look at his shelves behind him...holy carp what a mess:eek:.

Last Edited:
So fast and acaccurate. By the time I get one shot off he'd be reloading haha. But hey, at least my reloading supplies and gun stuff is organized;). Look at his shelves behind him...holy carp what a mess:eek:.
I know!. that's a freakin' pile! And he casts his own bullets and cleans his brass in a cement mixer.

Man that guy can shoot. And it confirms what I've heard about the Colts and their trigger. The trigger job will cost as much as the gun if you can find someone that can even work on it. Way behind the Ruger or S&W . Now we know why their no longer made.

Man that 50 yard group with his Smith was awesome.

Thanks for the vid

Man that guy can shoot. And it confirms what I've heard about the Colts and their trigger. The trigger job will cost as much as the gun if you can find someone that can even work on it. Way behind the Ruger or S&W . Now we know why their no longer made.

Man that 50 yard group with his Smith was awesome.

Thanks for the vid
It's so long since I owned a Ruger 6 series I forgot that it locks up like a classic Smith instead of like the newer GP etc. with a big bolt from the crane/yoke into the front of the frame.

It's so long since I owned a Ruger 6 series I forgot that it locks up like a classic Smith instead of like the newer GP etc. with a big bolt from the crane/yoke into the front of the frame.

So the series 6 is the only Ruger with a front cylinder lock up ? My Ruger handguns were and are sa. So they seem well supported.

So the series 6 is the only Ruger with a front cylinder lock up ? My Ruger handguns were and are sa. So they seem well supported.
Front in the sense that those lock up like the classic Smith via a stud that engages into the front of the ejector rod.
I gather that some Smiths now lock up kind of like the more modern Rugers as described in my previous post.
The Colts just lock up at the rear of the cylinder.. and then they all of course have a similar bolt that engages the cylinder notches.

My battery of firearms contains both Smith & Wesson and Ruger products. No Colt revolvers at this time, they kinda dropped out of that business. Guns are made for one purpose, to shoot bullets, so aesthetics shouldn't apply but in the real world, they do. I don't like fugly guns. Ruger products are surely worthy of their intended purpose. They've made a few dogs over the years but to compensate for that issue, they have terrific warranty service and I've called them to to task by using it several times. The Ruger .22 auto may look like a shop project (as someone before me said) but its success speaks for itself and the silly things will last forever.

I'm not too wild Ruger's more recent LC series of handguns, little plastic things. LCP = Little Clown Pistol. Had one, it didn't stick around long.

By way of personal preference, Ruger gets the nod for small revolvers. I've owned I don't know how many Smith J frames over the years, they are all gone but I have three Ruger SP101's in different calibers that I like. I have a few Vaqueros, old and new. I can't bring myself to want a GP100, fine gun that it may be but again, the looks.

My Ford Crown Victoria says it will go up to 120 mph but I've never driven it over 80 since I bought it new. Just wondering, do people really need cars that will go 160 mph?
I think for some of us, there is a love of technology that is part of our pleasure in owning and using certain high quality objects. A few decades ago when I was going to a lot of gun shows, I noticed that a disproportionately high percent of people who were into quality guns were also into quality cameras, knew all the relevant makes and models and specs of both, etc. And I suppose for some gun people, it might be cars or motorcycles. We like having more capability than we are likely to need. Such high quality top of the line products are usually also superior in more subtle ways that do matter and enhance our practical use.

I wear a vest frequently and one day a lady asked me "Shooting or Photography?" My response was "Both!"
A fanny pack designed for cameras can be really great for carrying an edc in one padded-wall compartment. Mine is an attractive innocent color and looks like a camera bag, not a gun bag. An adjustable walking stick is ergonomically improved by having a rifle support on it. I've never actually used it to support a rifle. I use it to hold up my camera to stabilize it a little and make it easier on my arms. The day pack I use in the woods is actually a camera bag, and may carry a bigger gun, ammo for two guns, paper plates for targets, and hearing protection in addition to water, a jacket, etc.

I think for some of us, there is a love of technology that is part of our pleasure in owning and using certain high quality objects.

I agree, people who like particular well-made things tend to be interested in other things of like quality. And for some people, there is the love of bragging about it. Not you OB44, but others. When I was growing up, we were taught that people with good breeding didn't discuss "what things cost." So as not to be offensive/insensitive to people of lesser means.

We like having more capability than we are likely to need. Such high quality top of the line products are usually also superior in more subtle ways that do matter and enhance our practical use.

I guess I understand that sentiment but I'm not personally aboard with it. My car's speedometer says 120 on it, there aren't many places I can even drive that fast. Actually, they made models of the same car that say 140. Every great once in a while, I see a Maserati or Lamborghini zoom by on I-5. They no doubt fall into the category of having more capability of speed than is needed. But they also have the loud exhaust, which isn't particularly necessary to speed, at least not on public roads. So this is the demonstration of excess capability, intended to be all about "Look at Me." No coincidence that they are usually some bright color, such as red or yellow. More "Look at Me" but of course this is a generalization. Some of these fancy cars sit in garages, coveted but rarely moving.

I'm a car guy and recently saw a Maserati at one of my Doctor's Office. So, I took a good look at it and well there sits this Very, Very pricey automobile, complete with expired tabs. Not just a couple of months but something like 18 months. Yep, time to call 911. They were happy:):):) to come out when I told them how long.

I'm a car guy and recently saw a Maserati at one of my Doctor's Office. So, I took a good look at it and well there sits this Very, Very pricey automobile, complete with expired tabs. Not just a couple of months but something like 18 months. Yep, time to call 911. They were happy:):):) to come out when I told them how long.
911 for a vehicle infraction? dood

The love and appreciation for high quality technology doesnt mean we choose the most expensive product every time. It's that we enjoy learning about the various possibilities, and evaluating them in light of our own needs, preferences, and finances. I own a Nikon d7000, for example. When I bought it, it was the top of Nikon's line in the "prosumer" class of digital SLR cameras--the category used by both professional photographers and some consumers. It cost a bit over a grand at the time. There were several other "full professional" class Nikon models that even at the time cost 4 grand or more. The d7000 could do everything I needed. In some cases it did it a little less conveniently than the pro cameras. (Menus rather than external controls.) The pro cameras were bigger and heavier built and weighed a lot more. Useful for a full time photographer using a camera really hard. A huge disadvantage for me. The pro cameras had a little better resolution allowing blowing up the photos to poster size--which I dont do-- but not giving any difference in resolution that was detectable when printed in books or magazines--which I do. In addition, by choosing the particular camera and lenses I did, the outfit more than paid for itself within the first year in providing photos to accompany my gardening books and magazine articles. I loved learning about the camera gear and figuring out what made sense for me. Exactly the same for guns. That's what I mean by the love of technology.

I enjoyed my Ruger Security 6s when I had them. But it turns out that the better triggers of smiths matter a lot to me in both my joy of use and shooting well. Enough to where the modest difference in price is well worth it to me. I've read about Korth revolvers. Even if I had that kind of money I don't think I would want one. I think I'd rather have a few more Smith's than a Korth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top