JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
šŸ˜

IMG_3420.jpeg

For packing around, I have little interest in a full size and heavy 22.
I'd sure be interested in an SP101 or Smith 63.

But given the question of the OP, I'd probably choose the Colt. If for nothing else, it has the looks of a Python.

There's a little button you can press...
Lol
After a bit of deliberation, I recently let go of my 40th anniversary single six. Both cylinders, classic blade style front sight, pretty nice faux ivory grips ( I stashed the high polish rosewood ones it shipped with). This left me with a first gen bearcat as my only single action rimfire . Within a couple weeks I started seeing single sixes everywhere. Like the 3 screw lr cylinder only at the pawn shop last week ( $399!)
I feel like I could probably spend a couple grand diving down that rabbit hole.
You'll be the first to know if I do.

Lol
After a bit of deliberation, I recently let go of my 40th anniversary single six. Both cylinders, classic blade style front sight, pretty nice faux ivory grips ( I stashed the high polish rosewood ones it shipped with). This left me with a first gen bearcat as my only single action rimfire . Within a couple weeks I started seeing single sixes everywhere. Like the 3 screw lr cylinder only at the pawn shop last week ( $399!)
I feel like I could probably spend a couple grand diving down that rabbit hole.
You'll be the first to know if I do.
Good deal on 3 screw. What I'm asking for my SS is fair. Just might take the right person to be looking. I'm in no hurry.

It's amazing that these guns all cost a grand apiece now. I've owned lots of Smiths, a good many Rugers, and not an inconsiderable number of Colts. So I have a bit of experience, not so much with later stainless steel guns, nor many with 9 shot cylinders (but I do have an old H&R nine shot).

My personal opinion, the GP100 is a club, especially in .22LR. If it counts for anything, the Smith & Wesson is a more elegant gun. The Colt, this is a new design, not like the older ones. I don't like the shape of the trigger guard top nor bottom.

If you lean toward Ruger, the SP101 would be a better choice in .22 LR.

If I was going out to buy a .22 revolver today, I'd look for a used Smith & Wesson Model 17 (6 in.) or Model 18 (4 in.), or if you're insistent on stainless steel, an older 617. But these don't come with a warranty.

My two cents, not a definitive analysis.

Smith & Wesson Model 18-7, made circa 2012:
zzzz 2013-1-25 001.JPG
You can get target stocks for them.

I used to have one of the pre-Model 18's, made in 1952. These are nice revolvers.

Just clearing the air on rimfire revolvers in general. If you really want to end up with a couple winners, you might as well buy every one you see . Just be ready to let go of the ones you don't like as soon as you know their non keeper status. At least the Smiths have a pool of potential buyers waiting for you.

Smith makes several lightweight 22's revolvers perfect for hiking. The biggest drawback being barrel length or the hillary hole if that's a mental hang up for owning a lock gun. At least one (317) gets mentioned by another member in this thread. But there are several snub 22's and 22 mags out there.
Ruger offers a wide variety as stated in this thread but the ones I own are all fairly hefty (SP101 GP100). If you want a hotter round but dont want the added weight of a full load 357 as suggested elsewhere here you can also track down a 17 hmr in a single six or a 327 in a ruger sp101. They make it in a 3" as I use to own one.
Personally I'd opt for a scandium framed S&W or even a Taurus (yes I know many find them junk) in the ultralite setup. They offer 22 mag in the tracker (designed for hunting/packing) and once offered a 9 shot in 17 hmr. I still own several of those and have been very happy with their performance. Good luck with your search !

I purchased the SW 617 today at about 11 AM from Keith's in Gresham. I was lucky to find the 6" model. Now I have to change out the front sight to a fiber optic. Anyone have a fiber optic on their 22 revolver? Any better than the other? Thx. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews