JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are they employing new RSOs at TCGC? Are they not telling them what their job duties are or how to approach or talk to the members? Over the past few days I've gotten in incidents with several new faces other than the 2 older gentleman that typically give the orientation and I've found their behavior and understanding of their job quite annoying, I just wasn't in a mood to pick up a fight so I let things slide.
On one particular day I got approached by the same person (person A) 3 different times:
1. I am parking the car and adjusting it, making sure it's parallel to other cars parked and that I'm not taking up more space than I ought to, person A walks and stands in front of the car (literally) with his hands in his waist and waves his card (asking that I show him my member card), I got out of the car with it running to show him the card.
2. In the same range, after I set up my stuff with my card stuck at the back of my shirt, same person, person A, after about 30 minutes, comes and starts talking and asking about my gun and this and that, taking into account, I have ear plugs and muffs on, there are other shooters actively shooting, he's talking and I can see his mouth moving and can hardly hear him, I don't want to look or sound rude to him, but I am not pulling off my muffs just to talk, not happening, my ears are far more important to me than your talk as long as I'm not doing anything unsafe or reckless. He had no complaints about me being unsafe, please leave me alone, I am focusing and enjoying my me time, I am not here to make little talk.
3. A different range, same person A, about 2 hours later, card still stuck on back of my shirt, comes and starts talking again, again, starts asking about my gun and this time starts commenting and giving advice on how I can improve my shooting posture, again, please leave me alone, I am enjoying my shooting time, if I wanted to talk I would've gotten buddies with me to the range. I doubt that there's anything in the job duties that says interrupt people and give them advice. Again, he had no complaints about me being unsafe or reckless or anything.
4. On other days, I got approached by other gentleman, their tone and attitude are much different from person A, less their interruption and talk and not knowing where to look for the card, either around your neck, stuck on back of shirt collar or lid.

I am comparing this behavior to that of the 2 gentlemen that give the orientation, which I've witnessed when they were checking out the different ranges, they walk around, check the cards without interrupting you or anything, as long as things are looking safe, they leave you alone.

If I'm doing anything unsafe or reckless or against the rules, please stop me and ask me to leave and I will, if I'm not, please don't interrupt my me fun and focus time, a little cordiality and just let me enjoy my range time. Sorry for the rant..I just had to get it out :)

+1

I don't go to visit with the RSO's, I go to train.

My last trip out I was having a bit of trouble sighting in a new rifle, and had an offer from a RSO to help. Not pushy, just honestly trying to help. I was already on a path to get it dialed in, and declined, but had a great minute or two with him, and we went our separate ways.

I wonder how much of this is due to the fact that TCGC is at full capacity, and they're trying to get a few new RSO's?

UD

Have you tried contacting Randy who is the Executive RSO? His contact information is in the newsletter. Ideally you should get the name of the specific RSO(s) so that he can discuss the issue with that RSO.

No offense, but complaining on a forum that is not administrated by them is unlikely to get you results/changes whereas either talking to Randy or attending a monthly membership meeting to air your issues should at least get you some answers. I have found that it is easier to get a hold of him by phone than by e-mail.

FWIW -- I've had some RSO's there who wanted to chat (usually when there's not other shooters around) but when I let them I know that I didn't have the time (politely) they wouldn't linger and I get could on with my practice.

Have you tried contacting Randy who is the Executive RSO? His contact information is in the newsletter. Ideally you should get the name of the specific RSO(s) so that he can discuss the issue with that RSO.

I did notice the names of the RSOs, thanks for suggesting contacting Randy, I'll have to look at his contacts in the newsletter.

No offense, but complaining on a forum that is not administrated by them is unlikely to get you results/changes whereas either talking to Randy or attending a monthly membership meeting to air your issues should at least get you some answers. I have found that it is easier to get a hold of him by phone than by e-mail.

I guess I was just wondering if this has happened with others, or was it just me on a few bad days.

They have been azzholes there since day one. But that's cause they don't want deaths. It's a little over the top though. Makes shooting in the hills free, that much nicer.

Yeah TCG has always had a-hole ROs, but they're getting worse. Call it ego power tripping, whatever, but I have even seen a RO harass deputies training for no other reason than to ego trip.

No intent to hijack the thread, but I am new to the Portland area, West Linn to be exact, and wonder what range or ranges, other then TCGC, tou folks could recommend to me.

No intent to hijack the thread, but I am new to the Portland area, West Linn to be exact, and wonder what range or ranges, other then TCGC, tou folks could recommend to me.

In this area, besides TCGC, you're kinda limited to Douglas Ridge and Estacada Rod and Gun club, as far as I know.

I once had a RO drop an expensive european magazine right on the lips! Ok guy, but come on man! He was another chatter and couldn't take the hint. This was at Clark Rifles, I've never had a problem there except this one instance. They are very professional there!

A bit far from West Linn but the Albany Rifle & Pistol Club is worth checking out. During RO training, the emphasis is safety, for sure, but also that the ROs are the club's ambassadors. ARPC also has a great professional staff (Rangemaster & Office Manager) and board of officers but I am definitely biased.

It might be a good idea and requirement for them to wear a large patch front and rear with their name on it. That way if they act foolish it is clear who it was vs 'A'.

Never had a bad experience with an RO there. A guy that rides around on a Segway seems to have an overly aggressive attitude. Saw him curse out a shooter for pointing his rifle up when reloading. He did find it necessary to call the shooter a bunch of vulgar names in his rant which was disrespectful and unnecessary.

Mini video cameras can also be very nice tools also. Mobius Actioncam Full HD Sports Camera 1080P 30FPS 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder | eBay

I was there a couple weekends ago and noticed a RO approach a man with his son set up on a single station near me. The RO almost condescendingly told them that since the man had brought a visitor, that he needed to make sure the guest was signed in (which he was) and that they couldn't shoot at the same time (they weren't, they were only occupying one bench). I found it a little obnoxious as they weren't doing anything wrong but were still being read the rules, which they clearly already knew. The man and his son were very nice and cordial to the RO, but they didn't receive the same in return.

I get they are there to enforce the rules, but they could be a little nicer when going about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top