JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TCGC is a 501(c)(7). That means it is a member based non-for-profit organization, in contrast to a 501 (c)(4) which is community based. The club currently loses money on transfers because of the staffing requirement, but is happy to do this as a value added service to the membership. The $10 OSP background check is passed on to the member to help keep the cost to the club down a bit. There would be too much fuzz on the interaction between TCGC and a for-profit company running an FFL on the grounds of the club. That being said, there are irons in the fire to try to offer Members more FFL opportunities. (BTW- I can speak with a bit of knowledge/actionable intelligence on these subjects)[/
Sounds like your a tcgc employee so are you?

NRA membership was a requirement when I joined 7 or 8 years ago. Never have been asked to prove I'm a member since then. I know a guy that just joined and he was asked if he was a member, but wasn't required to prove it...he said yes and they took his word.

NRA membership was a requirement when I joined 7 or 8 years ago. Never have been asked to prove I'm a member since then. I know a guy that just joined and he was asked if he was a member, but wasn't required to prove it...he said yes and they took his word.
It might not be that way now that you posted this. There are people on this page that work at TCGC.

Just joined, and NRA membership was a requirement. They had people at the orientation specifically to sign up anyone who is not presently an NRA member. I've been a NRA Life member since the 70's, so I just showed my card and paid the fees.
Lots of hoops to jump through to become a member at TCGC these days. A six month wait to get in. 3 hour new member orientation. 71 question test on range rules. 2.5-3 hr. safe gun handling and shooting evaluation. None of this was tough to do, or excessive. I actually enjoyed the process, but it does take time to complete it all. Most of this is directed at making the club a very safe place to shoot, so everyone who shoots there should appreciate the club's efforts to ensure the guy shooting beside you is a safe shooter.

Thanks! Been a long wait, but nearly as long as I was first told it would be! I really like the emphasis on safety that everyone at TCGC expresses!

They sound like a really great club but I've heard they have a long wait list. I wouldn't mind being on the wait list but they also require membership to the NRA, which I won't join. It does look like a good club though.

Mike

Last I heard a couple of months back the waitlist was around a year. You can clear that quickly if a group of people in front of you in the que can't make their orientation meeting for membership. My son cleared in less than a year but took another 3 months to find an appointment that didn't conflict with his travel schedule.

Just joined, and NRA membership was a requirement. They had people at the orientation specifically to sign up anyone who is not presently an NRA member. I've been a NRA Life member since the 70's, so I just showed my card and paid the fees.
Lots of hoops to jump through to become a member at TCGC these days. A six month wait to get in. 3 hour new member orientation. 71 question test on range rules. 2.5-3 hr. safe gun handling and shooting evaluation. None of this was tough to do, or excessive. I actually enjoyed the process, but it does take time to complete it all. Most of this is directed at making the club a very safe place to shoot, so everyone who shoots there should appreciate the club's efforts to ensure the guy shooting beside you is a safe shooter.

Thanks for sharing the details on joining. The rules keep out those whose lack of awareness are a risk to all of us. To quote Jack Reacher "All you need is a Soccer Mom who doesn't care that you were here first. She will have nothing better to do than close you down." Now in support of all the people who shoot on this forum, my version of the quote would be "Soccer Mom or Dad".

Been shooting matches there for 20 years, finally joined 6 years ago. I made the last open orientation before they did the membership cutoff. Spent the night in the parking lot to ensure I got in :D.

Welcome!

If I have to lie to join the club or join under false pretenses that I'll stay a member, I don't think I'd want to be a member. It sounds like it's just like the lock rule when you buy a gun... you don't have to put it on the gun, you just have to have it. And it doesn't even have to be a gun lock. I hate having rules just for the sake of having a rule.

P.S. Nothing against those that do it this way... the fact you don't keep giving the NRA your money weights in your favor a little. ;)

Mike

It's not possible to join TCGC and lie about your NRA membership to get in. I was required to show them either my membership card in the NRA, or the address label off my NRA American Hunter magazine to prove NRA membership. Those who had no proof were required to join at the orientation, and there was a pretty good line waiting. So great to see many new NRA members also!
When renewing you need to again show proof of membership, unless you showed proof you were a Life member when you joined. So I'm uncertain how anyone could lie their way around being an NRA member and remain a member of the club?

It's not possible to join TCGC and lie about your NRA membership to get in. I was required to show them either my membership card in the NRA, or the address label off my NRA American Hunter magazine to prove NRA membership. Those who had no proof were required to join at the orientation, and there was a pretty good line waiting. So great to see many new NRA members also!
When renewing you need to again show proof of membership, unless you showed proof you were a Life member when you joined. So I'm uncertain how anyone could lie their way around being an NRA member and remain a member of the club?
Yes. It's an NRA mandatory club. There's always shooting at browns camp if that's a problem.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews