JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone gone through the action range certification process at Tri-County recently? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts or opinions. Do you know when they hold the classes? The website does not have information nor does the newsletter.
I looked at http://www.tcgc.org/instruction-certifications-training/action-range-cert/ and I honestly see myself starting at the "Action Shooting Fundamentals" level. Typically when I shoot handguns I shoot for accuracy and tight-groups, I take my sweet time, so I know I will definitely need to pick up speed before attempting to go through the classes.

The test is pretty easy, so if you shoot slowly and accurately you won't have any problems.
Seems like they are concentrating more on admitting new members and having them go through
the safety training since they haven't admitted members in awhile.
I would email the TGCG office and ask if they know when they will start certifying people for the action range.

The test is pretty easy, so if you shoot slowly and accurately you won't have any problems.
Seems like they are concentrating more on admitting new members and having them go through
the safety training since they haven't admitted members in awhile.
I would email the TGCG office and ask if they know when they will start certifying people for the action range.
I'll have to email them to see when are they doing it. The website at least seems to suggest that they are focusing on rapid reasonably accurate (and safe) shooting.

They went over to a local training company to run the class a couple of years ago so I can't say how the current class is handled. The old class was run by the IDPA discipline chair and it was a lot of line shooting with target call outs (numbers and colors) and reload drills. They used to set up a few IDPA style stages to run at the end of the day. I remember it being a fairly enjoyable class if not terribly ground breaking.

My understanding is the owner of the company contracted to do the training died recently. Action Range Certification classes are on hold until the club sets up another training option.

TCGC has a facebook page now (closed group open to club members only) and you can get more or less real time information over there.

Yes, and no.

Yes, I have the certification,
and No, because mine was from before the changes.

Why aren't you sending email to the club? Or calling during business hours?
That should get you the most correct information. Names, numbers and emails in the newsletter they send to members.

They went over to a local training company to run the class a couple of years ago so I can't say how the current class is handled. The old class was run by the IDPA discipline chair and it was a lot of line shooting with target call outs (numbers and colors) and reload drills. They used to set up a few IDPA style stages to run at the end of the day. I remember it being a fairly enjoyable class if not terribly ground breaking.
Agreed....it was shooting at targets and getting the rounds where they belonged....I'm not a fast shooter and had no problem with the time limits. They did have a mini IDPA type stage but they weren't concerned about your time or accuracy, they were only concerned about safety. I did see one person DQ'd during the regular target shoot because they put their muzzle above the berm.

pretty much do it the same way I did it last year.

Just be safe and smart. How fast you are will come later. You should have seen Burt gummer at out first comp, lmao. First shot Glock jammed.... And me with my "pimp " stainless/Pearl 92......good stuff

Just received an e-mail from TC stating the Action Shooting Fundamentals and Range Certification courses are back on the schedule for April and available for registration on the website.

Just a heads up the "action range" should be called a modify your shooting style to tcgc's range shooting style only. Must shoot VERY slowly, basically no movements allowed (not handy unless you like to be a stationary target), reload in a weird fashion (burm.... really...), and range officers that think they are god (watched them tackle a lady after she crossed 180 realized her mistake crossed back then two of them jumped her anyway.)

Unless you really can't shoot anywhere epse, I wouldn't waste my money there.

I, for one, am glad you're not wasting your money there...
You seem pretty cavalier about other people's' safety.
Berm? Yeah, who needs a "no muzzle above the berm" rule, at a multi-range outdoor club that is now ringed by neighborhoods on most sides? Really, who cares if a few rounds get lofted into the streets and houses just over those pesky berms? Wouldn't want to alter your finely-tuned shooting style, just in the name of safety and keeping the range open.
And breaking the 180 rule...wow, what a dinosaur. So what if someone breaks the 180 plane (an act otherwise known as "pointing your loaded gun at all the contestants standing behind you")? And those draconian ROs that tackled her...probably threw her right to the ground, roughed her up good...right?
My guess is, the 5,500 members, myself included, don't feel like we are wasting our money. It's a great range and a terrific shooting resource...and it would be a tremendous loss if it were shut down because some yahoos thought that the rules don't apply to them.

Just a heads up the "action range" should be called a modify your shooting style to tcgc's range shooting style only. Must shoot VERY slowly, basically no movements allowed (not handy unless you like to be a stationary target), reload in a weird fashion (burm.... really...), and range officers that think they are god (watched them tackle a lady after she crossed 180 realized her mistake crossed back then two of them jumped her anyway.)

Unless you really can't shoot anywhere epse, I wouldn't waste my money there.
You might want to actually read the rules it clearly states that you can shoot while moving. And that you can rapid fire.

I joined 2 weeks ago. Met a couple of the ROs and I didn't have any problems with them. They are ROs, so their #1 priority is safety. Make a mistake, get yelled at, and you won't make the same mistake again. I'm going to wait til May or June before I sign up for the action range class.

I, for one, am glad you're not wasting your money there...
You seem pretty cavalier about other people's' safety.
Berm? Yeah, who needs a "no muzzle above the berm" rule, at a multi-range outdoor club that inow ringed by neighborhoods on most sides? Really, who cares if a few rounds get lofted into the streets and houses just over those pesky berms? Wouldn't want to alter your finely-tuned shooting style, just in the name of safety and keeping the range open.
And breaking the 180 rule...wow, what a dinosaur. So what if someone breaks the 180 plane (an act otherwise known as "pointing your loaded gun at all the contestants standing behind you")? And those draconian ROs that tackled her...probably threw her right to the ground, roughed her up good...right?
My guess is, the 5,500 members, myself included, don't feel like we are wasting our money. It's a great range and a terrific shooting resource...and it would be a tremendous loss if it were shut down because some yahoos thought that the rules don't apply to them.

The OP asked for opinions regarding the range and its action course. I was only giving personal account of my reasons. Hopefully this can just be a good place for multiple opinions without becoming a personal bashing ground.

As for the berm, I believe the responder misunderstood my issue with its use. I absolutely do not believe that people should aim a muzzle over the berm for safety reasons very apparent. My issue is that there is a berm that is consistently waved over by muzzles in a residential location. Accidents happen, especially on action style ranges and under performance stress. As a shooter I feel like its an accident waiting to happen. Do you want to have that on your conscience?

As for the 180 degree rule, again I feel like my point was misunderstood by the responder. A RO needs to maintain muzzle control in an instance in which the shooter breaches protocall, I think we can all agree with that. This is done by maintaining a arms distance reach and accomplished generally by stoping the movement of the shooters shoulders and hips BEFORE they can break 180. If the shooter breaks the 180 while 2 RO's are standing 3-4 times furtherer than they can reach, and then the shooter corrects themselves only to have 2 RO's tackle her with a possibly still loaded firearm it is just not a good practice IMO.

Just my opinion and I am sure I have and will be wrong about many things to come...

All good points.
Perhaps I misunderstood your other post, in my haste to "defend"
the range. Like all of us, it's not perfect, but they're trying to do what's best for all concerned...members, sportsmen, and local residents.

Just a heads up the "action range" should be called a modify your shooting style to tcgc's range shooting style only. Must shoot VERY slowly, basically no movements allowed

Not true.....the whole point of the action range is to allow people to shoot rapidly, move, practice holster draws, etc. All done in a safe manner with the no muzzles over the berm rule. No one likes that rule, but we understand the need for it since the area around the range has been built up with housing developments and commercial properties.

Not true.....the whole point of the action range is to allow people to shoot rapidly, move, practice holster draws, etc. All done in a safe manner with the no muzzles over the berm rule. No one likes that rule, but we understand the need for it since the area around the range has been built up with housing developments and commercial properties.

I am only relaying personal experience from the action range in question. Some of you may have other experiences and points of view and that is great. I think that we can all have our points of view and discuss them without being told our point of view is invalid or "untrue" because another member feels differently.

On multiple occasions at said range, the rules written and the rules enforced by the staff are not congruent. Thus my gripes with the action range. But they are my gripes based my personal experience. Hopefully we can respect each others opinions even if we don't agree.

I wouldn't go to tcgc, and spout off about them being negative because that would be instigating imo, but when a question is asked in a public forum.....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top