Action range certification at Tri-County

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RifleEnthusiast, Mar 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast
    Close to Oregon City

Has anyone gone through the action range certification process at Tri-County recently? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts or opinions. Do you know when they hold the classes? The website does not have information nor does the newsletter.
    I looked at http://www.tcgc.org/instruction-certifications-training/action-range-cert/ and I honestly see myself starting at the "Action Shooting Fundamentals" level. Typically when I shoot handguns I shoot for accuracy and tight-groups, I take my sweet time, so I know I will definitely need to pick up speed before attempting to go through the classes.

2. Goosebrown

Goosebrown
    Beaverton
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

They told us that you should be able to sign up on line. I have to do it as well. Want to get certified. I think they want you to shoot a competition or two. I'd try speed steel.

3. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast
    Close to Oregon City

The website used to have information (cost + general dates) about when the were holding the classes, now it has no dates except for the basic NRA pistol class.

4. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon

The test is pretty easy, so if you shoot slowly and accurately you won't have any problems.
    Seems like they are concentrating more on admitting new members and having them go through
    the safety training since they haven't admitted members in awhile.
    I would email the TGCG office and ask if they know when they will start certifying people for the action range.

5. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast
    Close to Oregon City

I'll have to email them to see when are they doing it. The website at least seems to suggest that they are focusing on rapid reasonably accurate (and safe) shooting.

6. therealhitman

therealhitman
    USA

They went over to a local training company to run the class a couple of years ago so I can't say how the current class is handled. The old class was run by the IDPA discipline chair and it was a lot of line shooting with target call outs (numbers and colors) and reload drills. They used to set up a few IDPA style stages to run at the end of the day. I remember it being a fairly enjoyable class if not terribly ground breaking.

7. Rocklock

Rocklock
    Portland, Oregon

My understanding is the owner of the company contracted to do the training died recently. Action Range Certification classes are on hold until the club sets up another training option.

TCGC has a facebook page now (closed group open to club members only) and you can get more or less real time information over there.

8. RicInOR

RicInOR
    Washington County
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yes, and no.

Yes, I have the certification,
    and No, because mine was from before the changes.

Why aren't you sending email to the club? Or calling during business hours?
    That should get you the most correct information. Names, numbers and emails in the newsletter they send to members.

SVT-ROY and NWGlockgal like this.
  9. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon

Agreed....it was shooting at targets and getting the rounds where they belonged....I'm not a fast shooter and had no problem with the time limits. They did have a mini IDPA type stage but they weren't concerned about your time or accuracy, they were only concerned about safety. I did see one person DQ'd during the regular target shoot because they put their muzzle above the berm.

10. dwaineshort

dwaineshort
    Vancouver WA

pretty much do it the same way I did it last year.

11. SVT-ROY

SVT-ROY
    Tigard
    Resident Beretta guru

Just be safe and smart. How fast you are will come later. You should have seen Burt gummer at out first comp, lmao. First shot Glock jammed.... And me with my "pimp " stainless/Pearl 92......good stuff