Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Road trip carry.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by lowly monk, Jul 12, 2011.

1. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Hey all, Going to crater lake and back from pdx via H-26. I don't have a concealed permit yet. Question, I am driving our fusion, Where would be the best place to put my ruger 357. Unloaded on back seat or in trunk, Glove box. etc. Without ammo. Where to keep speed loader?
    Thank you.

2. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Gun in truck and ammo in different location or not in same box.

3. kls97038

kls97038 molalla New Member

load it and put it in your holster and place on your dash.

4. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Get your permit.

mjbskwim, pcoast, 2506 and 7 others like this.
  5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Best solution ever.

6. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Or on your belt. OR has no rules against open carry. There are some city ordinances (Beaverton, Portland, Eugene, Salem etc) that prevent the gun from being loaded.

7. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

As I mentioned, No permit yet. I am working on that. Thank you everyone els. p.s. Spell check rocks.

8. m1gunr

m1gunr Tacoma Member

Oregon has no prohibition on carrying loaded handguns in your car. But the state DOES allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms “in public places” which, oddly enough, includes your car.
    If you are in a place like Portland or Oregon City ( or any of the major cities along the I-5 corridor) that restricts loaded carry by people who do not have concealed handgun licenses, you may not have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Furthermore, if it is a handgun, it must be carried openly or “not readily accessible.” That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don’t, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container.

lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Forgive me for muddying the waters but I believe you are mixing your statues. ORS 166.250 b) reads: (b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;

So as long as it is not concealed it doesn't matter where it's at in the car.

Like both you and I eluded to there are local ordinances inside some city limits (forgive me I have not looked at them all) like Portland that read:
    14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place. - Printable Version
    (Amended by Ordinance No. 184274, effective December 31, 2010.)
    A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.
    B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

There are no mandates that require your guns to be in the trunk or under lock and key. At least not at the state of OR or WA level.

10. python287

python287 Neskowin,OR Active Member

Absolutely correct - Oregon does not restrict the open carry (i.e. plain sight - not concealed) of any firearm. Keep on the seat in plaint sight or on the dash - as long as it is not concealed it is legal..

11. stevo85

stevo85 wa New Member

We are going to lincoln city and newport in a few weeks. I am not going to carry while we are there but i hook my holster to the map pouch on the drivers door when we are driving. Without a OR. chl would that be legal/open carry? If so can it be loaded or have a loaded mag close by? Any insight would be appreciated.

12. python287

python287 Neskowin,OR Active Member

As long as your weapon is NOT concealed you are free to carry locked and loaded
    . It must not be concealed.. :thumbup:

13. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I open carry in OR quite frequently, just make sure you are not in one of the listed cities. As stated OPEN loaded carry is LEGAL in OR.

14. Sportsman

Sportsman Clackamas County, Or Member

I recommend "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws" by Kevin Starret, whether you plan for CHL or not.

15. davef

davef S.E. pdx Active Member

this all changes if there are other people in the car, am I correct? especially minors. in that case dont you need to carry it on your person?