JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, Going to crater lake and back from pdx via H-26. I don't have a concealed permit yet. Question, I am driving our fusion, Where would be the best place to put my ruger 357. Unloaded on back seat or in trunk, Glove box. etc. Without ammo. Where to keep speed loader?
Thank you.

Hey all, Going to crater lake and back from pdx via H-26. I don't have a concealed permit yet. Question, I am driving our fusion, Where would be the best place to put my ruger 357. Unloaded on back seat or in trunk, Glove box. etc. Without ammo. Where to keep speed loader?
Thank you.

As I mentioned, No permit yet. I am working on that. Thank you everyone els. p.s. Spell check rocks.

Oregon has no prohibition on carrying loaded handguns in your car. But the state DOES allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms "in public places" which, oddly enough, includes your car.
If you are in a place like Portland or Oregon City ( or any of the major cities along the I-5 corridor) that restricts loaded carry by people who do not have concealed handgun licenses, you may not have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Furthermore, if it is a handgun, it must be carried openly or "not readily accessible." That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don't, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container.

it must be carried openly or "not readily accessible." That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don't, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container.

Forgive me for muddying the waters but I believe you are mixing your statues. ORS 166.250 b) reads: (b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;

So as long as it is not concealed it doesn't matter where it's at in the car.

Like both you and I eluded to there are local ordinances inside some city limits (forgive me I have not looked at them all) like Portland that read:
14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place. - Printable Version
(Amended by Ordinance No. 184274, effective December 31, 2010.)
A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm's clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

There are no mandates that require your guns to be in the trunk or under lock and key. At least not at the state of OR or WA level.

Forgive me for muddying the waters but I believe you are mixing your statues. ORS 166.250 b) reads: (b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;

So as long as it is not concealed it doesn't matter where it's at in the car.

Like both you and I eluded to there are local ordinances inside some city limits (forgive me I have not looked at them all) like Portland that read:
14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place. - Printable Version
(Amended by Ordinance No. 184274, effective December 31, 2010.)
A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm's clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

There are no mandates that require your guns to be in the trunk or under lock and key. At least not at the state of OR or WA level.

Absolutely correct - Oregon does not restrict the open carry (i.e. plain sight - not concealed) of any firearm. Keep on the seat in plaint sight or on the dash - as long as it is not concealed it is legal..

We are going to lincoln city and newport in a few weeks. I am not going to carry while we are there but i hook my holster to the map pouch on the drivers door when we are driving. Without a OR. chl would that be legal/open carry? If so can it be loaded or have a loaded mag close by? Any insight would be appreciated.

We are going to lincoln city and newport in a few weeks. I am not going to carry while we are there but i hook my holster to the map pouch on the drivers door when we are driving. Without a OR. chl would that be legal/open carry? If so can it be loaded or have a loaded mag close by? Any insight would be appreciated.

As long as your weapon is NOT concealed you are free to carry locked and loaded
. It must not be concealed.. :s0155:

I open carry in OR quite frequently, just make sure you are not in one of the listed cities. As stated OPEN loaded carry is LEGAL in OR.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top