JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I were required to go after criminals, I'd probably go for 2 guns. A high capacity semi auto AND a revolver for those longer shots. But that isn't private citizen self defense. There are situations where the revolver is better for self defense. If you are attacked while in bed or grabbed, you can press the barrel of a revolver right into the bad guys gut and fire. Most semi autos go out of battery and won't fire if you do that. And this is probably the scenario most women are most thinking of. Which is best depends upon the scenario. Obviously for standing off an army, high capacity is major. Also relevant is whether the gun is for self defense only, or must also be accurate enough for hunting, predator control, etc. My self defense gun is lots more likely to be needed to remove a would be poultry predator or garden grabbing gopher than to fight off a whole army. So to me, being able to hit accurately at a distance matters. And I can only do that using the SA mode on a really good revolver.

Brother works a ranch in Eastern Oregon and the cops are an hour away. An AR15 is a good tool for any predator that would threaten the ranch, two or four legged. Being able to defend your ground for at least an hour is important in my point of view. While a revolver is better than nothing what will the criminal be armed with? Will they just have revolvers or will they even care about the laws? You may not have the job of going after criminals but their job is going after you.

In a fire fight, accuracy counts WAY more than rounds per second.
Never been in a shootout but I do notice that those in them all the time choose an AR 15 or high cap handgun. If we get our semis taken away then your only chance is to shoot straight as you won't have firepower at your command.

H
Brother works a ranch in Eastern Oregon and the cops are an hour away. An AR15 is a good tool for any predator that would threaten the ranch, two or four legged. Being able to defend your ground for at least an hour is important in my point of view. While a revolver is better than nothing what will the criminal be armed with? Will they just have revolvers or will they even care about the laws? You may not have the job
Brother works a ranch in Eastern Oregon and the cops are an hour away. An AR15 is a good tool for any predator that would threaten the ranch, two or four legged. Being able to defend your ground for at least an hour is important in my point of view. While a revolver is better than nothing what will the criminal be armed with? Will they just have revolvers or will they even care about the laws? You may not have the job of going after criminals but their job is going after you.
no one gun is optimal for every scenario. You're imagining having to hold off an entire army in an hour long gun battle. An army of bad guys specifically after you. Sure, an AR would be best for that if you had lots of warning so it was with you when it happened. But if an army of bad guys was after specifically you, seems to me they would take you out from a distance with a rifle when you came out to get the mail or do ranch work.

If you carry the AR with you everywhere, your neighbors are likely to think you're nuts. And if you carry an AR to town, even though it's legal, you'll be spending all your time dealing with frightened people and LE. Basically, the AR would be great for a shtf scenario. For dealing with more ordinary times, something much more discreet that I can carry concealed is my first choice.

The criminals don't at all have the job of attacking me. Just of attacking someone. And someone armed isn't going to be the first choice.

Before the 1980s almost all police departments carried revolvers, now it's hard to find any cop that carries a revolver issued by the department. The reason is simple, semi autos save lives. Revolvers are very old technology dating back to the 1800s. So since we will have to use them for defense a person is really going to have to work at being good with one. Being an old fart I trained with a revolver for many years and they are far more difficult to shoot straight double action than an auto is in my opinion.

People will get by, it will be like using an outhouse rather than indoor plumbing but folks will get used to the old west guns again.:D

If I were a cop, I might go for high capacity too. But I'm not. And a cops gun is a specialized tool. My edc needs to be good enough for the self defense scenarios I'm actually likely to need to deal with as a private citizen as well as a lot more. It has to be a good woods gun. Should be good against bear and cougar as well as human predators. It should be able to take deer reliably at 50 yards, small game or poultry predators at 25. Should be fun to plink with. And for me, fun to shoot means no magazines. I hate loading magazines. And if I don't enjoy shooting a gun, I don't shoot it enough to have confidence in it. And enjoyment is very individual and personal.

Nearly every cop carries a semi auto, but nearly every handgun hunter carries a revolver. I agree that it's harder to shoot a revolver DA than a good quality full size semi auto.

Actually, I'm contemplating getting something higher capacity...namely, a Smith and Wesson 627. An 8 shot .357 mag revolver on an N frame with a 5 inch barrel. (Covet, covet, drool)

If I were a cop, I might go for high capacity too. But I'm not. And a cops gun is a specialized tool. My edc needs to be good enough for the self defense scenarios I'm actually likely to need to deal with as a private citizen as well as a lot more. It has to be a good woods gun. Should be good against bear and cougar as well as human predators. It should be able to take deer reliably at 50 yards, small game or poultry predators at 25. Should be fun to plink with. And for me, fun to shoot means no magazines. I hate loading magazines. And if I don't enjoy shooting a gun, I don't shoot it enough to have confidence in it. And enjoyment is very individual and personal.

Nearly every cop carries a semi auto, but nearly every handgun hunter carries a revolver. I agree that it's harder to shoot a revolver DA than a good quality full size semi auto.

Actually, I'm contemplating getting something higher capacity...namely, a Smith and Wesson 627. An 8 shot .357 mag revolver on an N frame with a 5 inch barrel. (Covet, covet, drool)

:D In my opinion the real test of a carry gun is operating it with one hand. See how well you shoot with one hand then reload with one hand. If you can keep the gun running with one hand then it's a good gun for self defence in my opinion. The great Miami shootout was ended by a cop who was shot in the arm with a Ruger mini 14 yet still went on to load and fire his weapons with one hand.

why limit yourself to one type of ammo,if you get a .357 and you have more options

Just a personal opinion, I don't like magnums for a carry gun. They are great for hunting outdoors and I carry them all the time huntng but there are a lot of reasons I wont' carry a magnum in town.

At home I'll use the same M&P 9mm with extended mags and a light that I have now; out and about, I will have the same PPS with a threaded 'assault' barrel. Only difference is, they will just be registered, should these laws pass.

When we did LEO training back in the way early 80's we used revolvers the trainer at the time explained how simple in stress situations it does what it does with no complexity, the Glock if I recall was just being known and considered for LEO carry they say too many flaws at the time for a semi-auto lots to go wrong.
Revolver you squeeze the trigger it goes bag. I like having more rounds especially as I am getting older, but I pic reliability and accuracy over more rounds. Some should do a test using speed loaders for Revolver and then Choose a glock and keep shooting until one fails would take a heck of a llot of speed loaders but maybe have someone reloaded 10 of them as they are used, would be interesting and put to rest that thought.

Just a personal opinion, I don't like magnums for a carry gun. They are great for hunting outdoors and I carry them all the time huntng but there are a lot of reasons I wont' carry a magnum in town.
yes but you dont have to use magnum loads in it in town,you can use .38's in town but then you have the magnum option available when you need it,thats what i do with mine.

a lot of people i have met over the years dont know this but a .357 will shoot both .357 and .38 rounds,but a .38 cant shoot .357.

yes but you dont have to use magnum loads in it in town,you can use .38's in town but then you have the magnum option available when you need it,thats what i do with mine.

a lot of people i have met over the years dont know this but a .357 will shoot both .357 and .38 rounds,but a .38 cant shoot .357.
I carry a snubbie when I carry in town, a bigger gun is just too much weight with the rest of the gear. After decades of shooting I really don't like short barrel magnums for a lot of reasons. I do like long barrel hunting magnums in the field but short barrels create problems with magnums for me. While I am big enough to hide a full size magnum it really doesn't work for me but to each their own.:D

:D In my opinion the real test of a carry gun is operating it with one hand. See how well you shoot with one hand then reload with one hand. If you can keep the gun running with one hand then it's a good gun for self defence in my opinion. The great Miami shootout was ended by a cop who was shot in the arm with a Ruger mini 14 yet still went on to load and fire his weapons with one hand.
I agree about the importance of being able to shoot one handed, and with either hand. And thats fun to practice. And yeah, id be out of luck trying to reload a revolver with one hand. But since I dont carry reloads, its not relevant. "Keeping the gun running" is more necessary for LE or soldiers. And if I were either of those I would want an AR, with a handgun just for backup.

How much weight and space should be devoted to guns in a private citizens daily carried stuff? And should I carry a smaller lighter gun that allows space and weight for reloads but that I dont enjoy shooting and arent as good with as some others? Or carry a heavier bigger gun I really enjoy shooting and am the most accurate with? Should I carry a knife that is optimal for self defense or one better for the tasks I actually use a knife for--opening boxes, slicing tomatoes, and spreading peanut butter? Should my emergency carrying stuff just be about self defense or should it also include stuff like a tournequet, tylanol, matches, string, wire, a really good flashlight? These are all personal choices.

I agree about the importance of being able to shoot one handed, and with either hand. And thats fun to practice. And yeah, id be out of luck trying to reload a revolver with one hand. But since I dont carry reloads, its not relevant. "Keeping the gun running" is more necessary for LE or soldiers. And if I were either of those I would want an AR, with a handgun just for backup.

How much weight and space should be devoted to guns in a private citizens daily carried stuff? And should I carry a smaller lighter gun that allows space and weight for reloads but that I dont enjoy shooting and arent as good with as some others? Or carry a heavier bigger gun I really enjoy shooting and am the most accurate with? Should I carry a knife that is optimal for self defense or one better for the tasks I actually use a knife for--opening boxes, slicing tomatoes, and spreading peanut butter? Should my emergency carrying stuff just be about self defense or should it also include stuff like a tournequet, tylanol, matches, string, wire, a really good flashlight? These are all personal choices.

I carry what I might need for the area I am in. I always carry a knife to cut away a seat belt and it has ability to break window glass. I don' use it for anything else because I want it sharp and ready. If I travel by vehicle it depends on how far out of town what I carry, the distance grows and I carry more ammo. I have a get me home bag. Last week I traveled by road to Idaho looking for a place to live should they pass 43. My get me home tools differed because of the way I would travel if I had no vehicle.

I don't carry without a reload, no matter what gun it is.:)

I carry what I might need for the area I am in. I always carry a knife to cut away a seat belt and it has ability to break window glass. I don' use it for anything else because I want it sharp and ready. If I travel by vehicle it depends on how far out of town what I carry, the distance grows and I carry more ammo. I have a get me home bag. Last week I traveled by road to Idaho looking for a place to live should they pass 43. My get me home tools differed because of the way I would travel if I had no vehicle.

I don't carry without a reload, no matter what gun it is.:)
Valid choices. Interesting you mention a knife to cut away a seat belt and a means to break window glass. Those are on my essential list too. I carry two knives. Primary is a Spyderco Endura4 with a slightly under 4 inch blade that is perfect for slicing tomatoes and spreading peanut butter. It weighs under 3 ounces and has a plain flatground blade easy to clean and sharpen. The second is smaller spyderco with a serrated edge for seat belt cutting that is less than an ounce. And my flashlight is a surefire e2d Defender, which is metal and has projections at both ends designed, I suppose, for bashing in a skull, but which I care about mostly for breaking glass. It can project a blindingly bright light for self defense purposes or reaching long distances. But it also has a low power mode that lasts about 3 days.

OldBroad44: You might want to consider carrying a Speedloader or two. As one of those LEOs from the "Past" who carried a Revolver, I also carried Two for my Primary and Two for my Back-up Gun. Since most people didn't know I carried a Bug, they thought I was carrying all Four for my Primary. Also, most people didn't know I was wearing a Second Chance Vest. I got some Very good advice from another Officer. The even saved my Life when I got hit by a Dirt Bag one night. He was "Armed" with an 8' 2x4 and since I was wearing my Vest the thing Broke into Three pieces. Him and all his buddies were totally amazed when I didn't hit the ground. Instead, I turned around and draw my Revolver and pointed it at his head. I proceeded to arrest him and he ended up in Walla-Walla for the next 10 years. Actually, he only did less than a year. In those days it was Not considered "Nice" to hit a LEO. The Gang who ran the Walls in those days made sure he wasn't going to be hitting any more LEOs. Next time I took a DB down They made sure I was told what happened to the last DB. I thought that was Very Nice of Them.:):):)

If you can find one of the Safariland Split-6 carriers, I can recommend them.:):):)

Valid choices. Interesting you mention a knife to cut away a seat belt and a means to break window glass. Those are on my essential list too. I carry two knives. Primary is a Spyderco Endura4 with a slightly under 4 inch blade that is perfect for slicing tomatoes and spreading peanut butter. It weighs under 3 ounces and has a plain flatground blade easy to clean and sharpen. The second is smaller spyderco with a serrated edge for seat belt cutting that is less than an ounce. And my flashlight is a surefire e2d Defender, which is metal and has projections at both ends designed, I suppose, for bashing in a skull, but which I care about mostly for breaking glass. It can project a blindingly bright light for self defense purposes or reaching long distances. But it also has a low power mode that lasts about 3 days.

:D I kinda figure what can happen and try to be ready. I am far more likely to be in a car wreck than a gun fight so I carry an auto knife by Gerber that has a glass breaker on one end. Peanut butter isn't one of my staples so I have just an apple peeler pocket knife as a tool. I used to carry Spyderco and they are a great knives but they didn't have the glass breaker and in a car fire I want to get out. Upside down in a car our body weight won't let the seat belt unlatch so cutting is the only way out.

When Surefire lights first came out I bought about four of them and still have them. There are brighter lights out now but my carry rigs set up with one extra mag and a surefire in the same pouch. It's bright enough.

If I have to carry a revolver it will be my Colt Detective Special with one speed loader. 6 shots and the D frame fits my hand perfect. The action stacks but I have gotten used to it over the years.

I have always been a wheelguner, carried a M28 then a 686 for LaConner WA PD in the '80s. The .357 Magnum will get the job done & a .38+P is a fine carry round in a J frame AirWeight. Never was a plastic gun fan even though my old partner carries a Glock now.
My loan bottom feeder is my old off duty carry gun, Colt 9mm Combat Commander.
F4031548-3A4F-4794-99B3-5FB965282983.jpeg
M27-9 .357 Mag
0A21004D-0C79-4F23-ACA0-FCC955815842.jpeg
M629-6 .44 Mag
672EB021-0237-4B34-9EFB-CA34E861A355.jpeg
M686-6 .357 Mag
1F1F97E1-CFD1-4B8C-B8E3-A2ABCDD7E1FD.jpeg
M638-3 .38 +P
8B432F06-E691-4F48-AEA3-1619A4B6F2ED.jpeg
M686 Pro Series SSR .357 Mag
4165A455-9F71-4364-AFAD-1B3986A6AC04.jpeg
M15-2 Custom PPC Gun .38 Special