JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I, and am sure many others, have plenty of semi-auto handguns/rifles meant for self-defense in case of SHTF.

I am also sure most of us have been paying attention to gun bans of various sorts, especially those that want to ban or severely restrict access to/possession of semi-auto firearms.

I like to have backup plans. Whatever happens to my semi-auto firearms, whether they get registered or confiscated or buried or whatever, I have a substantial investment in the ammo for those firearms - less so in ammo for my revolvers/lever actions (e.g., .357 mag, .30-30). While those other hunting/etc. firearms can substitute for the self-defense firearms, they are not optimum for that purpose and their ammo may not be either.

I think it is probably a good idea to have a backup plan. E.G., acquiring firearms chambered in 9mm, .308, 5.56, etc., in firearms less likely to be subject to restrictions.

(Our backup plan is, largely, to leave occupied territory. Due to the ever worsening tax and regulator situation, coupled with weather that sucks, this plan has been the works for a while. The post-2018 insanity just accelerated that.)

That said, I've invested in more revolvers and lever-actions in the last couple years. It was not inspired by any legislative BS, but rather it was an area I just found interesting.

I am really digging the pistol caliber (.357 and .44 Magnum) lever-guns; light, handy, fast cycling, hard-hitting, dead-on accurate at ranges called up, light recoil, and it "just works." I run one suppressed and it is a quiet setup with the right loads. The only thing I don't like is the reload time when compared to a detachable box magazine, though it isn't difficult to top off. So, those type of lever-guns work fine for working and fun guns, so I could see pressing them into service for preparedness.

I've never had any interest in bolt-actions, never will, so that isn't part of the equation. Not knocking them; they just aren't for me.

Long story short (I know, too late): sorta.

(Our backup plan is, largely, to leave occupied territory. Due to the ever worsening tax and regulator situation, coupled with weather that sucks, this plan has been the works for a while. The post-2018 insanity just accelerated that.)

That said, I've invested in more revolvers and lever-actions in the last couple years. It was not inspired by any legislative BS, but rather it was an area I just found interesting.

I am really digging the pistol caliber (.357 and .44 Magnum) lever-guns; light, handy, fast cycling, hard-hitting, dead-on accurate at ranges called up, light recoil, and it "just works." I run one suppressed and it is a quiet setup with the right loads. The only thing I don't like is the reload time when compared to a detachable box magazine, though it isn't difficult to top off. So, those type of lever-guns work fine for working and fun guns, so I could see pressing them into service for preparedness.

I've never had any interest in bolt-actions, never will, so that isn't part of the equation. Not knocking them; they just aren't for me.

Where would you move to? Thanks.

Where would you move to? Thanks.

Arizona is the plan and the one we've done the most "leg work" on with respect to getting everything setup. We really liked Nevada, for a variety of reasons (tax situation, climate, gun laws, hunting, land prices where we were looking, et al.), and it was the plan until the 2018 cycle, but they seem to be headed down the tubes too, with the new governor calling for sweeping gun control. :(

I own one semi auto rifle that uses a detachable magazine and 1 handgun that holds more then 10 rds. So nothing will change. Also the two firearms I own that would be of concern aren't going anywhere no matter what some bunch of commies pass into law.

A good bolt gun is for EVERYONE! :)

I, and am sure many others, have plenty of semi-auto handguns/rifles meant for self-defense in case of SHTF.

I am also sure most of us have been paying attention to gun bans of various sorts, especially those that want to ban or severely restrict access to/possession of semi-auto firearms.

I like to have backup plans. Whatever happens to my semi-auto firearms, whether they get registered or confiscated or buried or whatever, I have a substantial investment in the ammo for those firearms - less so in ammo for my revolvers/lever actions (e.g., .357 mag, .30-30). While those other hunting/etc. firearms can substitute for the self-defense firearms, they are not optimum for that purpose and their ammo may not be either.

I think it is probably a good idea to have a backup plan. E.G., acquiring firearms chambered in 9mm, .308, 5.56, etc., in firearms less likely to be subject to restrictions.

Sigh...

Yeah, have to agree with you.

For us, more likely thinking on carry wheel guns. Don't have any, or much real interest (yet), but would rather to be ahead of the curve should they be the only *legal option*. Rather than scrambling to find something suitable at the last minute...or beyond.

Not too worried long gun wise, for us anyways. If we'd have to grab something other than a shotgun, we would, but it would be well into legalities no longer meaning a pile of bull plop at that point anyways.

It's the everyday carry that would be a bit more concerning. Far far "easier" to get hung up, and not even if in a defensive gun use. Observed printing, traffic stop etc. any number of things come to mind. No problems with such before, just given carrying everyday is all. Would rather minimal hassle/legalities/staying under radar etc.

Arizona is the plan and the one we've done the most "leg work" on with respect to getting everything setup. We really liked Nevada, for a variety of reasons (tax situation, climate, gun laws, hunting, land prices where we were looking, et al.), and it was the plan until the 2018 cycle, but they seem to be headed down the tubes too, with the new governor calling for sweeping gun control. :(

Did you look at New Mexico?

I have bolt actions in both 223 and 308. That's why I have several thousand rounds of ammo for each. Lost the semi-autos in a boating accident.

Did you look at New Mexico?

Not nearly as much as elsewhere. Though I would be open to it as the little time I spent there years back was nice.

I came damn close to making an offer on a piece of property (47 acres) in Nevada just across the boarder. I am glad I didn't, because they are headed into Calinfornication as we speak.

Sadly, you are thinking of Old New Mexico. Nuevo New Mexico is all about avocado toast and being socially correct. Kills me, because even after all these years my blood runs red and green :(

That's too bad to hear. (And I like avocados very much, but never put it on toast, nor will I. :s0112:)

She is disgusting ..!!!

Indeed. On so many levels.

I don't own one currently, but I have always considered a pump action shotgun with red dot and slugs to be my ideal ban proof weapon. If semi is alllowed a benelli m4 would be ideal, followed by a Mossberg 590a1 is pump is needed.

I try not to put too much emphasis on "stopping power" or "hitting hard" but a 12 ga slugs puts things down quick in my limited experience.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR