JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honestly, I can function quite efficiently and effectively with out semi auto any thing, having spent a large chunk of my youth so armed! It's like being able to drive a Stick Shift!
Yes Levers and Wheelies are nice to have, and I have a fine selection from which to choose from! Current plan is to grab my Marlin XLR and my Ruger Old Armies, and i'm all good!

This post made me think about my choices. If I had to choose one bolt action or lever action provided ammo was avail I'd choose an Enfield, SMLE or No.4
Light, smooth, accurate, dependable, hard hitting yet light recoil.

The politics aside, there are probable scenarios where it is maybe wise to not go toe to toe with the government if confiscation comes about.

Now whether your semi-autos are lost in a boating accident or whatever, having a backup plan is preferable to not having any firearms at all - or just having a few odd calibers, or whatever.

Like I said, many of use have a significant investment in ammo and it may take some planning to have a backup chambered for that ammo. E.G., 9x19 - better to have a revolver now for it before there suddenly a much larger demand for that revolver. Ditto for a bolt or lever action.

Backup to backup plan; what to do when the gov says you can't have a firearm chambered for any cartridge that the gov uses? A lot of countries have that law in place now.

The politics aside, there are probable scenarios where it is maybe wise to not go toe to toe with the government if confiscation comes about.

Now whether your semi-autos are lost in a boating accident or whatever, having a backup plan is preferable to not having any firearms at all - or just having a few odd calibers, or whatever.

Like I said, many of use have a significant investment in ammo and it may take some planning to have a backup chambered for that ammo. E.G., 9x19 - better to have a revolver now for it before there suddenly a much larger demand for that revolver. Ditto for a bolt or lever action.

Backup to backup plan; what to do when the gov says you can't have a firearm chambered for any cartridge that the gov uses? A lot of countries have that law in place now.
I agree with your suggestions. I would suggest that when adding firearms to your collection to make sure they are traceable by the atf (post 1968) since there is a movement that seems to be growing to purge untraceable firearms.

I have bolt actions in both 223 and 308. That's why I have several thousand rounds of ammo for each. Lost the semi-autos in a boating accident.

Yup. I was on the same boat at the time. It was tragic. Luckily all my bolt guns and revolvers weren't on board.

I have told this story before. When I was a kid my uncle Bill who was in the WW II US Army in Europe having said he had liberated several concentration camps and brothels informed me with this rule. Always have firearms that are chambered for the same rounds carried by the government. So, I'd think that would be 9mm, 40 SW, 308, 300 WM and 12 gauge. He also said that in handling a pistol never get close enough to a bad guy that the bad guy could take the pistol away from you. Good motto.

I have told this story before. When I was a kid my uncle Bill who was in the WW II US Army in Europe having said he had liberated several concentration camps and brothels informed me with this rule. Always have firearms that are chambered for the same rounds carried by the government. So, I'd think that would be 9mm, 40 SW, 308, 300 WM and 12 gauge. He also said that in handling a pistol never get close enough to a bad guy that the bad guy could take the pistol away from you. Good motto.
How far away from Salem do I need be so they can't take my pistol away from me:)

While back up plans are great and needed...

Any
gun can and will be on someone's "You shall not own list" at any given time.
Buy and own the firearms you like...Learn to use them well.
Andy

I agree with Andy.

Is there an example in the United States of a firearm/accessory being banned and the government going door to door to collect? Not that I am aware.

I agree with Andy.

Is there an example in the United States of a firearm/accessory being banned and the government going door to door to collect? Not that I am aware.
New Jersey State Police issued their hysterical comments that door to door searches were a possibility, re: mags; but then showing their negative mental state; back tracked on this remark. Stupid is stupid, but shows their poor perspective and reasoning. But then again who does think straight in their NJ Government when the issue is firearms and their state is famous for gangsters.

That's probably the closest example we will find. If my understanding of that case is correct there was a window to register the "prohibited" weapons in California and this individual attempted to register the firearm after the window had closed. Had he not registered the firearm the police never would have showed up at his house.

We can discuss the semantics of trying to register vs. ignoring the registry but I think we all know the answer.

@arakboss you are correct. That, unfortunately, is a completely different fight. Since Red Flag laws don't deprive citizens of a type of firearms but ALL firearms. So if you get caught in that net it doesn't matter if you have an AR or a flintlock...

Good points from both contributors. I'll caveat my original statement with there hasn't been mass confiscation of firearms or accessories.

With that being said I am opposed to anything that goes against the 2nd Amendment or deprives people of their Rights without due process of law.

I agree with your suggestions. I would suggest that when adding firearms to your collection to make sure they are traceable by the atf (post 1968) since there is a movement that seems to be growing to purge untraceable firearms.

They only want to purge "unregistered and untraceable firearms" so it is easier to collect the ones that are left. Exciting times ahead...

"This post made me think about my choices. If I had to choose one bolt action or lever action provided ammo was avail I'd choose an Enfield, SMLE or No.4
Light, smooth, accurate, dependable, hard hitting yet light recoil."

The Ishapore in 7.62x51 is all that and more available ammo.

That's probably the closest example we will find. If my understanding of that case is correct there was a window to register the "prohibited" weapons in California and this individual attempted to register the firearm after the window had closed. Had he not registered the firearm the police never would have showed up at his house.

We can discuss the semantics of trying to register vs. ignoring the registry but I think we all know the answer.

@arakboss you are correct. That, unfortunately, is a completely different fight. Since Red Flag laws don't deprive citizens of a type of firearms but ALL firearms. So if you get caught in that net it doesn't matter if you have an AR or a flintlock...

Good points from both contributors. I'll caveat my original statement with there hasn't been mass confiscation of firearms or accessories.

With that being said I am opposed to anything that goes against the 2nd Amendment or deprives people of their Rights without due process of law.
You can be sure if you have any banned firearms in your collection when the Red Flag Crew comes to pick them up, you won't be getting the banned firearms back. If any of the banned firearms are subject to a felony violation, you won't be getting any of your firearms back. Mass confiscation isn't necessary, what good will banned firearms or accessories be if you are afraid to let them see the light of day. I am not questioning your support of the 2A but if we shrug off legislative efforts to infringe on our rights because we don't think they will come to our door, or because a particular law won't impact our collection, we are in trouble. They are trying to divide us and we should resist that effort together.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top