JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As someone who hikes and camps regularly in WA, here's my free advice.
If you plan on hiking in crowed areas where you'll encounter other hikers often, don't open carry. Even though it's legal it's liable to freak people out. Heck I even sometimes get funny looks from that 7 inch fixed blade in kydex strapped to my pack. Day hikes on busy trails with kids and Seattle natives you'll instantly get the vibe guns strapped on your hip are causing some delicate daisy anxiety. Especially somewhere like the Olympics, lots of tourists and day hikers there. Now if you're 3 days into the Eagle Cap Wilderness, or the Gifford Pinchot, you won't get a second glance from the horseback rider with a rifle strapped to his saddle bag and 6 shooter on his hip.
I'm a resident with a CPL, when I don't expect to see other hikers in the backcountry I open carry. If I expect to see lots of people or tourists, like a beach hike or the Hoh Rainforest (Olympics), I carry concealed. Actually I usually just carry concealed to avoid the whole thing. Or not carry at all, I've camped and hiked alone hundreds and hundreds of times in WA and never once had to draw a pistol for any reason. Usually it's dead weight. Where you really need to carry concealed in WA is the city haha.
Once my tent is pitched and I'm in my campsite I switch to open carry, or just leave my pistol sitting in a holster on my pack for the bear or Sasquatch that never shows up.
Good advice right here. I never carry full size on hikes in Western WA. Usually concealed, but even then, if the scenario was to happen that it was needed, I don't know that I would reach for my pistol. I usually carry a J-frame, but even then I feel like its dead weight. Your likely going to be wet, a little cold, and possibly have gloves on. In addition the undergrowth is so thick in western WA (especially the Olympics) that you would likely be really close to any threat. With this in mind, I also carry a big big fixed blade with a solid tang (9" blade). I might get a few wounds from a mean critter, but I can draw and accurately use that WAY faster than I can with my pistol, especially in the dark (which it almost always is), and also effectively use it with either hand. I think a more valuable tool is a personal locator beacon, especially if you are going solo, or in a low traffic area (which is hard to do here).

I carry (kydex sheath on my hip) a Esee Junglas with bright colors to make it look less intimidating. Less "snag prone" than a pistol as well. Fantastic in that its a self defense weapon that can clear vegitation, chop wood, cut wood lengthwise (see pic, batoned that lengthwise), is lighter than a pistol, faster to draw (with course motor skills), and potentially more lethal at close range.

Screenshot_20230305-220221_Gallery.jpg

Once my tent is pitched and I'm in my campsite I switch to open carry, or just leave my pistol sitting in a holster on my pack for the bear or Sasquatch that never shows up.
Q : What caliber is appropriate for this defensive situation?

1678125061021.png

Yup. Hunting Sasquatch is illegal.
But I did say "Defensive Situation".

Aloha, Mark

PS........Bears?
1678125320690.png

Be aware of all Firearm laws that pertain to "any" circumstance that you may find yourself in.

I would search for something written that allows a revolver to be open carried in WA State.

Q : What caliber is appropriate for this defensive situation?

View attachment 1378268

Yup. Hunting Sasquatch is illegal.
But I did say "Defensive Situation".

Aloha, Mark

PS........Bears?
View attachment 1378269
LOL.
It's all fun and games until you're 5 miles into the Redwoods alone in the pitch black and hear long drawn out howling at 10 p.m. Or at Deadman's lake in the Gifford and the sound of a pig goat being strangled for 10 minutes, then hearing the screaming sounds float off into the sky over the lake. Or maybe that time near Mt. Adams way off in the bush I got woken up at 2 AM by something smacking a tree repeatedly. Having a blaster by your inflatable camp pillow gives just enough false security to go back to sleep. 🤣

LOL.
It's all fun and games until you're 5 miles into the Redwoods alone in the pitch black and hear long drawn out howling at 10 p.m. Or at Deadman's lake in the Gifford and the sound of a pig goat being strangled for 10 minutes, then hearing the screaming sounds float off into the sky over the lake. Or maybe that time near Mt. Adams way off in the bush I got woken up at 2 AM by something smacking a tree repeatedly. Having a blaster by your inflatable camp pillow gives just enough false security to go back to sleep. 🤣
Whoa!
Lay off the shrooms, man.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews