JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy.

Heading back to the PNW this spring to do some hiking and camping. What are the current regs on carrying while doing so? Does my handgun need to be visible(open carry) at all times? Would using a hill people gear kit bag be verboten, since it is concealed?

Also, if I'm heading up to WA, can I take my standard capacity mags with me? I tried to look this up, but it seems to be a grey area.

Thanks!

Get a concealed carry permit.

Concealed is concealed.

If the mags originated in Washington they can leave and come back I believe. They just can't multiply while they are out of state.

If the mags are from out of state going into Washington and hold more than 10 rounds then I don't think it's allowed. If you care to follow that law.

None of this is legal advice obviously.

Get a concealed carry permit.

Concealed is concealed.

If the mags originated in Washington they can leave and come back I believe. They just can't multiply while they are out of state.

If the mags are from out of state going into Washington and hold more than 10 rounds then I don't think it's allowed. If you care to follow that law.

None of this is legal advice obviously.
I'm just traveling through from out of state. I will be doing some camping on my way up to AK. It seems that as long as your traveling through it may be ok to possess? And I'd like to carry as well.

So you live in Oregon but are traveling up to AK going through Washington?

Well if you're worried about legalities and don't have a carry permit that allows you to carry in Washington then technically it's illegal. Even if your just passing through.

As far as the mags go I have no idea. But if you are smart how would anyone ever know?

I have my own opinions on what I would do. I'd be more concerned with crossing the border into Canada with the firearm.

Just wanted to make sure on the camping/hiking. I couldn't remember. Did most of my hiking in Oregon, and had a permit. I knew you could open carry in WA, but I think you might have to be a resident.

As far as Canada, totally bypassing. Taking the ferry up, fortunately. Worked in a gun shop in Anchorage and half are business was receiving transfers from people driving through Canada, haha.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Just wanted to make sure on the camping/hiking. I couldn't remember. Did most of my hiking in Oregon, and had a permit. I knew you could open carry in WA, but I think you might have to be a resident.

As far as Canada, totally bypassing. Taking the ferry up, fortunately. Worked in a gun shop in Anchorage and half are business was receiving transfers from people driving through Canada, haha.
Yes if you try to take your firearms into Canada you will mostly likely get arrested and you loose your firearms. Since you got arrested in Canada you may lose your rights to own them in the United States as well since you were arrested in Canada so please take the ferry boat. Otherwise transfer them from Washington to Alaska so you don't have any legal problems. I have not been to Canada since 2018 but I leave my guns locked in my safe at home if I am going Canada.

I'm guessing you may be asking about hiking and camping in National Parks and US Forest Service property in WA State too? I don't have the answers, but others on this site may???

You can carry in both State an National parks. I know in National Parks that firearms are not allowed to be carried where forest rangers have buildings or anything. When I took an Alaska cruise back in 2015 when landed if Skagway, AK there was a museum that setup by National Park rangers and it clearly noted that firearms even concealed could not be carried there. There were notices posted as well. Since I was on a cruise I was not carrying a firearm at all.

Firearms or Other Weapons
All state laws regarding firearms apply in State parks. Open carry is legal in the state of
Washington. It is legal to carry a concealed firearm while engaging in lawful recreational
activities such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking or horseback riding or traveling to legitimate
outdoor recreation areas. Some state parks abut areas that allow hunting access, and it is legal
to traverse through a state park in order to hunt in a legal area. However, no person shall
discharge a firearm across, in, or into any state park area.
No person shall display or discharge a bow and arrow, spear, spear gun, harpoon, or air or gas
weapon, or any device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal, or damaging or
destroying any property, except where specifically authorized by the agency

In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities

Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.

You know what they say about free legal advice from strangers on the internet, however here is my understanding;
For you to bring a magazine with more than 10 capacity into WA. State - illegal.
To carry concealed in WA. State - need a concealed carry permit that is valid in the state.
Familiarize yourself with the laws specific to any area you want to carry concealed.

Personally, what you decide is your own business. I am just trying to pass on my understanding of what the law actually states.

Yes.

Was going to hit Olympic National Forest on the way up to Bellingham to catch the ferry. Wanted to get a locals take on the legality of open carry as an out of state resident.

As someone who hikes and camps regularly in WA, here's my free advice.
If you plan on hiking in crowed areas where you'll encounter other hikers often, don't open carry. Even though it's legal it's liable to freak people out. Heck I even sometimes get funny looks from that 7 inch fixed blade in kydex strapped to my pack. Day hikes on busy trails with kids and Seattle natives you'll instantly get the vibe guns strapped on your hip are causing some delicate daisy anxiety. Especially somewhere like the Olympics, lots of tourists and day hikers there. Now if you're 3 days into the Eagle Cap Wilderness, or the Gifford Pinchot, you won't get a second glance from the horseback rider with a rifle strapped to his saddle bag and 6 shooter on his hip.
I'm a resident with a CPL, when I don't expect to see other hikers in the backcountry I open carry. If I expect to see lots of people or tourists, like a beach hike or the Hoh Rainforest (Olympics), I carry concealed. Actually I usually just carry concealed to avoid the whole thing. Or not carry at all, I've camped and hiked alone hundreds and hundreds of times in WA and never once had to draw a pistol for any reason. Usually it's dead weight. Where you really need to carry concealed in WA is the city haha.
Once my tent is pitched and I'm in my campsite I switch to open carry, or just leave my pistol sitting in a holster on my pack for the bear or Sasquatch that never shows up.

Since it seems to be legal to carry concealed, "when camping/hiking" I might just use my hill people gear chest pack, to keep it out of sight and not worry about freaking out tourists.

Don't know on Washington preemption, but Multnomah county, and likely others, have prohibitions against loaded guns, magazines, speed loaders and clips without a CHL.

Just to piss off the Washington people, if you have an Oregon CHL, you can conceal carry a rifle in Oregon:s0066:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top