JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had the current 642 in my pocket for near 6 years now. My carry load is Federal Gold Medal148 gr Wad Cutters. From this light a gun these are about as much as I want to practice often with. And they penetrate well. If I were carrying an all-steel revolver I might shoot a higher velocity round. But a lot of old cops carried the same load and were very happy with it.
This gun disappears into a pocket and is so light I don't notice it on me. That's the main reason I carry it. The hammerless 642 comes out of a pocket so much smoother than a hammered gun. I have owned a few hammered snubs, and with them you learn to cover the hammer with your thumb as you draw them to keep from snagging clothing. But the hammerless ones I can get a full firing grip while still in the pocket. And my fist just guides the gun out.
The S&W J frames are coming with a Boot grip design that does not need a grip adapter, but the older guns with their slim wood grips I need a grip adapter like the Tyler T grip to have my trigger finger pulling straight back. And give more to hang on too. Thats something to look for also.
Good Luck , DR

To recommend one over the other a person would have to have experience with both. I dont have that. What I do have is over 30 years experience with a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44spl.with 200gr slugs and medium loads my son was able to shoot it at age 5 he could hit a paper plate at 5 yards. Its ungodly loud but accurate to 10 yards min of paper plate. And reasonable compact 5 rds. The FBI rated the .44spl as a very close to one shot weapon in their tests as it made a big hole that dumped all of its energy in the target rather then blow through it.

I also have 10 years with a Charter Arms undercover in .38+P alloy frame very light 5rd. I carry 115gr HP's with medium level loads.

I should note here that with a 2" barrel unless your hoping to burn your target hot loads are a waste of powder as half the powder ends up burning past the muzzle on these small revolvers so better to use a medium level load with a fast powder. Then a load designed for a 4 or 6" barrel. You get the same spd and energy without all the flash.

The Undercover is a good handling little gun and is my primary EDC. Accuracy is also in the min of paper plate at 10yards level I have shot 5" 5rd. Groups with it. In single action the trigger is very nice and crisp.

Thats my two cents.

M&P 340. It's expensive but it's light and capable of handling .357, also has a tritium front post and NO LOCK. Really good coat pocket gun.

Another vote for the Smith & Wesson 640 in .357

A most excellent little thumper.

EBBEA55A-42C7-46EA-A49B-2BBD9644A353.jpeg

I am a big snub fan, I carry a 49-2 everywhere I go.

Some things to think about -

How are you going to carry it? SP101s are great little pistols, but they are heavy and kinda defeat the purpose of a small revolver. If you are going to pocket carry, go hammerless or shrouded hammer. Does it need to be an Airweight or is a steel J frame okay?

What ammo do you want to use? Smiths that shoot 357 are expensive and heavy, unless you get a 340/360, which is just expensive.

I have had many 442s, a couple 642s, a couple 49s, a 37, a few 36s, an MP340, a 640 and a 640 PRO, a 351C and a 340PD also a few SP101s and an LCR and LCRx.

49s, 36s, and 42s are not bad to shoot, they weigh enough but not too much.

Airweights are very nice to carry, not too bad to shoot unless you run some crazy +P ammo, but more of a handful than the steel guns.

442 vs 642, pick your color, they still make 442s with no lock, which is cool.

49s and any other shrouded hammer, they are ugly, but you have the SA option with no hammer to snag.

The 340s are super cool guns, but they cost a lot and you are not going to have fun shooting 357 out of one, so kinda not worth the cost, to me. I do wish I still had the MP340, the Big Dot was nice and it shot 38s comfortably.

The 351C is a really cool gun with a good load of 22 magnums, Gold Dots are a good choice, recoil isn't bad and you have more rounds, they are super light weight!

LCRs are cool guns, good trigger, very light, just super ugly!

SP101s are great for carrying in a holster on a good belt, though a short barrel, not a pocket gun at all.

Don't waste your time on Taurus or Charter Arms.

M49.jpg

Last Edited:
I highly recommend the Ruger LCR. My EDC is a Ruger LCR in a Kydex front pocket holster. The LCR has the best trigger pull of any revolver I have ever fired and the factory grips do a great job of soaking up the recoil. It is so light weight that I forget it is there, it just vanishes in my front pocket. I stoke it with Hornady Critical Defense 110-grain +P jhp's which is an effective and very controllable load. A couple of Speed Strip reloads in my other pocket and I'm good to go.

Get a smith if you can afford it. I recently got a taurus 692 357/9mm 3inch ported. It is accurate but the trigger is not even close to a smith. That said it is accurate robust cost should be $500ish double / single quick change cylinders from 9 to 357 mag is pretty cool if ammo becomes a issue.

I highly recommend the Ruger LCR. My EDC is a Ruger LCR in a Kydex front pocket holster. The LCR has the best trigger pull of any revolver I have ever fired and the factory grips do a great job of soaking up the recoil. It is so light weight that I forget it is there, it just vanishes in my front pocket. I stoke it with Hornady Critical Defense 110-grain +P jhp's which is an effective and very controllable load. A couple of Speed Strip reloads in my other pocket and I'm good to go.
I carried an LCR for awhile. You're right, those guns have a nice trigger.

I had some Crimson Trace grips on mine, and could put rounds into the same hole at 30 feet. Good little gun. Just a bit too light for me.

I had an airweight for a period, and it's one jumpy, flinch inducing little thing. Light 38spc was fine, but +P was miserable. I'd get a steel frame. I recently picked up a Ruger SP101.
I've been a Smith & Wesson guy for decades. And I've owned several Air Weights. They are miserable to shoot. I think the whole idea behind them is packing weight, not shooting technique. I'd never buy another.

Several Ruger SP101's have come my way, .32 H&R Mag, .38 Special, 9mm Para. I like this design. Also one in .327 Fed Mag, but we won't count that one because turns out Federal went "a bridge too far" when they bumped the H&R out.

I had a SW 640 .357 Mag until a friend talked me out of it. I do regret letting it go. A little on the heavy side but easy to shoot with .38 +P loads.

If having a 5-shot revolver doesn't bother you, it's the way to go.

My current snubbies are a SW 66 3" and a Colt Diamondback 2". I do tend to favor the SW 66 a lot more because that Diamondback is too pretty to put wear and tear on it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top